Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM

215 posts, read 525,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Hell, if your mortgage is with Countrywide it was probably overvalued anyway b their "professional appraisers"
Thanks for the back-up Schousse. You are so right. The realtor has long gone and the escrow company was closed down and the owner went to the hoosgow (?). Then the city was trying eminent domain (I prayed for it by then) it got stopped a block away, now sewers are required by 2012 in CA. so that debacle started. They got the system laid and we had to ante up the $23K or add it to your tax bill, so I did the tax route. Not enough beer cans to cash in to get the cash....So now in effect upping the payment in my case $200 a month. Now they want another $3-5K to connect which I was under the impression was included in the other that hiked the taxes. There goes retirement, so the beat goes on. Now just hope I can clear, and consider it to have been reasonable rent for the past 8 years and get outta Dodge, while I'm still fit and able to. Never thought I was gonna croak a rich one anyway. And what would I leave it to? The goat? I JUST WANT OUTTA HERE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
Thanks for the back-up Schousse. You are so right. The realtor has long gone and the escrow company was closed down and the owner went to the hoosgow (?). Then the city was trying eminent domain (I prayed for it by then) it got stopped a block away, now sewers are required by 2012 in CA. so that debacle started. They got the system laid and we had to ante up the $23K or add it to your tax bill, so I did the tax route. Not enough beer cans to cash in to get the cash....So now in effect upping the payment in my case $200 a month. Now they want another $3-5K to connect which I was under the impression was included in the other that hiked the taxes. There goes retirement, so the beat goes on. Now just hope I can clear, and consider it to have been reasonable rent for the past 8 years and get outta Dodge, while I'm still fit and able to. Never thought I was gonna croak a rich one anyway. And what would I leave it to? The goat? I JUST WANT OUTTA HERE.
That reminds me of the county area I just moved from in CA,. It was considered a "Sphere of Influence" and the city was about to annex onto it. They were abusing the eminent domain law.
Anyway, there was already a sewer line down the middle of our street but it cost homeowners 25,000.00 to connect and noone could afford it.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Come on down.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:10 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Have you tried a FSBO/lease option? You'd want a hefty amount to move in, to cover potential damages and/or a lawyer if the lease/buyers had to be evicted. My sister just did that with our mother's house - it was in an area that was hit hard by ARMs and she had a reliable tenant [one of her daughters and her husband] living in it to keep it from being vandalized. And they had a dog home all day so even when they were gone to work or school, the dog kept potential vandals out. I sold our place in WA for a third of what it was appraised for, but it was still 3 times what we'd paid for it - but since I owned it outright, I could afford to do that.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Default Mulching

I would like to have a healthy garden next year. Along those lines, I would like to start a mulch to be used for this purpose. How do I go about starting?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I would like to have a healthy garden next year. Along those lines, I would like to start a mulch to be used for this purpose. How do I go about starting?
Are you talking mulch or compost? Mulch goes after the plants start growing, to keep weeds down. Compost is sort of the same, only you use pretty much the same stuff and let it break down into a usable rich additive that you dig in before planting. One of the most effective mulches is newspapers - but only pages with the black ink, colored inks aren't good - to lay down between your plants and then cover with grass clippings or whatever. The newspaper also keeps the moisture in the soil better if there's a long dry spell. Ornamental mulches are crushed nut shells or wood chips [especially cedar]. But I don't think they'd do very well for a vegetable garden. Google for 'gardening Oklahoma' and you'll find a link to the OK site on GardenWeb. It's pretty cool. One of the things I plan to get in the near future is a worm composter bin, those are neat!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
The squarsh and zucchini are in full swing,...(just pretend you don't see the weeds)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1815.jpg (broken link)

...and the vines are getting heavy with maters. In a few days it will be mater nirvana. There is nothing better than fresh homegrown maters.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1820.jpg (broken link)

My baby wallamellons are coming along nicely. I think this one is a jubilee (black seeds) and congo (white seeds). We believe in equal opportunity when we spit seeds.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/wallamellon.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Here is a website with lots of discussions on gardening. There are various topics and .....drum roll please.... no political or religious discussions tolerated! The garden crowd cheers!

Beginner Vegetables Discussion Forum

There are other discussion forums, but this just happens to be the one I was reading.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM

215 posts, read 525,059 times
Default Weeds???

RB!

Your garden is lookin' great. Them ain't weeds! That's a cool bed of "grass" for all them squarsh and melons to lie upon, instead of the mud with all the rain. Right? Ha! My two melons of grape size I was so impressed with, are now yellow! They havn't fallen off the vine yet, so there is hope right? Are you doing fried green maters in the meantime?

Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM

I've never had fried green tomatoes. And to be honest, they sound gross. If they're green, they're not ripe, right? And if they are not ripe, aren't they are sour?

Guess I should try them before I have my own imaginary hurl and gag party.

I made fried zucchini yesterday. I beat two eggs and was going to add the cornmeal, when I realized there was NO cornmeal! So, I thought I would make due with flour. And no flour!

Well, says I. The oil is heating, the eggs are beaten, and I have a cut up zucchini and squarsh staring at me wondering what I was gonna do. So, I did what any self respecting bachelor does, I hit the freezer, opened up the pancake mix, and voila! A meal fit for a trailer park Indian!!

Mmmmm! Tasty! I never follow recipes anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma