Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best town for semi-rural, but close to amenities for families with children
Norman 4 20.00%
Edmond 5 25.00%
Moore 2 10.00%
Other? 9 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,272 times

Advertisements

We are just learning about OKC and need your input. We are a young family with two small children that is considering moving to the OKC from northern California for a slower, more family friendly quality of life. While we are weary of California politics and the increasing absence of traditional values in general, we also are very used to living in California and want to be prepared and ready to integrate into what life is like in Oklahoma, specifically in the OKC metro area. So far, Edmond seems like a natural fit, but we don’t want a cookie cutter home either. What other areas would you suggest we check out?

We would like your suggestions on areas that would allow us to have/do the following if possible:

Safe, family-friendly community that is welcoming to “outsiders”. We would like to know what it is like to know our neighbors’ names.
Lots with 0.5+ Acres. We would love to have a large garden/greenhouse if possible.
Dog friendly areas, dog parks, playgrounds near by for our kids and dogs
Homeschool community? We will probably homeschool our kids and would like to be plugged in with other families who are doing the same
How are the public libraries?
Natural Food/Health Food stores near by. We are vegan and know this probably won’t be as common as it is in California. Are there any plant based restaurants in the area? What about farmer’s markets? Are they year round?
What are typical outdoor activities people do in this area?
Are there annual parades, festivals to look for?
Do you think this part of Oklahoma is ideal to raise children?

If you made it this far, thank you! We look forward to learning more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 02:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I don't live in OKC, have only visited, but I have some perspective on what it may be like for Californians to move there. My sister moved eight years ago, after 50+ years in SoCal, to Edmond (strictly speaking, an unincorporated area just outside of Edmond; her address, however, is Edmond). And we have talked many times over those eight years about what her experience has been like.

First off, people are outwardly very friendly and chatty. It seems easy to get to know neighbors if you yourself are the friendly, chatty type. However, people tend to stay in the same general area they grew up in--their parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, childhood and school friends, etc., are still nearby--so they don't "need" any more close friends and you may need to adjust your expectations about just how far their welcome goes. Many people couldn't believe my sister didn't have relatives in Oklahoma and asked, "Why would you move here, if you don't have family here? Why would you leave your family?"

Secondly, the difficulty of gardening in the OKC area was a great shock. In California, you put it in the ground and it grows, no problem. Anyone can do it. This is not the case in OKC; the weather is just too harsh and unpredictable. You put your seeds out and the next week there is a flood and they wash away. Or the seedlings come up and suddenly there is a late frost and everything dies. Or hail crushes the plants. Or squirrels eat all the fruit off the tree just before it ripens. If you intend to do a lot of gardening, you will need a greenhouse or two. Otherwise, forget it. My sister has 2.5 acres and envisaged the huge vegetable garden she would have, but she's been reduced to container gardening in pots she can take under the porch cover when storms threaten.

Which leads to--farmer's markets. These were a disappointment. Most are not year-round because unlike in California, nothing grows year-round unless it is in a greenhouse. And the ones my sister has tried leaned heavily toward meat like beef because OK is ranching country, not farming country. The markets also feature eggs, dairy products, canned goods like jam and crafts like homemade soap, with actual produce kind of far down the list.

There are, however, Sprouts, Whole Foods, and, as of a few years ago, Trader Joe's--this one made my sister's life at least 25% happier. Produce is more expensive than in CA but at least you can get it there.

The public libraries seem to be fine but if you are in an unincorporated area like my sister, they're not free. She has to pay a yearly fee to access the library. If you're within city limits, this wouldn't be a problem.

Be very selective when looking at neighborhoods. You would think being in a semi-rural area means all kinds of opportunities for outdoor recreation, but it all belongs to someone and you can't actually trek across your neighbors' properties. You also can't safely walk or bike along two-lane highways that have no sidewalks or shoulders. Sister has to get in the car and drive 20 minutes to get to a park where she can take a walk. Now, the parks are nice and have paved trails where you can wander under trees and past ponds, etc. But unless you're in the right place, it is an effort to get to them.

My sister did homeschool but only for a few years after they arrived; her kids are now in their 20s. I can't remember anything particular she said about the homeschool community. She did remark that the public schools did not allow homeschooled kids to participate in sports or music. In California, one of her kids was able to be in the public school orchestra and the other in the band. They found this not to be possible in Oklahoma.

I know this probably sounds very negative and it's likely that people who live in the OKC area will have a different perspective and more ideas to offer. I am only writing this as the experience of one family who moved from California, and I think their biggest mistake was not doing enough research on neighborhoods before buying a house. My brother-in-law was adamant that they needed to buy a house immediately, so they took a one-week trip out before moving and committed to a house after looking at only a few. He was also wanting to be farther away from town (the semi-rural thing with lots of land was more his idea), whereas she would have liked to be closer, at least to be able to walk to some stores or something. The Walk Score for their neighborhood is 0.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:58 PM

P.S. Many people, on hearing that my sister had come from California, immediately said something like, "Wow, you must be glad you got out of that crazy place and are here now!" She struggled to respond appropriately because she actually wasn't glad. If you are, this obviously won't be a problem.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 PM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
For your list of things Edmond and Norman are easily the two best places. Edmond is nicer than Norman but Norman has all the advantages of being in the flagship University town. Norman is more "diverse" relatively speaking. Norman has one of the better farmer's markets around the area.

Other than the home schooling and the lowered cost of living you will probably be diminished in the other areas compared to what you are used to. But all those things you mentioned are available here. Home Schooling here is a really big deal and might be better in terms of amenities.

Edmond and Norman are both on the edge of what are called the Crosstimbers and as a result they are a bit different on their east and west sides. Their east sides are more wooded (Edmond moreso) and the local lakes are there.

Any further advisement might depend on if you will be working and commuting to OKC or some other area of the metro.

As far as what people do here. recreational sports are huge (softball, golf, running, walking), hunting, fishing, some watersports at the lakes, there is limited hiking and biking here but if you are willing to drive an hour or three there is more. There is obviously a big horse culture. They even have equestrian in a few places.

Including the entire metro there are plenty of parades and festivals to attend except for maybe the winter time.

I'm sure our friend "Chicago Dude" will be around shortly to give you the REAL scoop though.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:20 AM

140 posts, read 115,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDfamily View Post
We are just learning about OKC and need your input. We are a young family with two small children that is considering moving to the OKC from northern California for a slower, more family friendly quality of life. While we are weary of California politics and the increasing absence of traditional values in general, we also are very used to living in California and want to be prepared and ready to integrate into what life is like in Oklahoma, specifically in the OKC metro area. So far, Edmond seems like a natural fit, but we don’t want a cookie cutter home either. What other areas would you suggest we check out?

We would like your suggestions on areas that would allow us to have/do the following if possible:

Safe, family-friendly community that is welcoming to “outsiders”. We would like to know what it is like to know our neighbors’ names.
Lots with 0.5+ Acres. We would love to have a large garden/greenhouse if possible.
Dog friendly areas, dog parks, playgrounds near by for our kids and dogs
Homeschool community? We will probably homeschool our kids and would like to be plugged in with other families who are doing the same
How are the public libraries?
Natural Food/Health Food stores near by. We are vegan and know this probably won’t be as common as it is in California. Are there any plant based restaurants in the area? What about farmer’s markets? Are they year round?
What are typical outdoor activities people do in this area?
Are there annual parades, festivals to look for?
Do you think this part of Oklahoma is ideal to raise children?

If you made it this far, thank you! We look forward to learning more!

Fair warning since you have kids, PLEASE do your research on Drugs and crimes in OKC metro .
Oklahoma has a VERY HIGH drug abuse rate and HIGH crime (FBI crime statistics rate Oklahoma high PER CAPITA). Also if you don't follow Football or go to church be prepared to be a "Outcast" in Oklahoma

Norman has a HIGH number of Sexual Offenders/Child molesters and Edmond is a Very $$$$ snobby racist town

Only time I have been a victim of crime was when I was living in Edmond/Norman Most were auto theft/break ins and a few cases of Oklahoma(OU lost again/Wife/GF left me so I'm gonna take it out on this guy) road rage (With Cops citing other drivers at fault)

This is coming from someone who lived Chicago, Seattle, Dallas, Los Angeles(Downey/Norwalk) and San Francisco bay area last 20+ years. I'll take my chances in Chicago VS Oklahoma ANY day lol

Good luck on your move, But dont say no one warned ya

Old 01-23-2021, 02:23 AM

140 posts, read 115,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I'm sure our friend "Chicago Dude" will be around shortly to give you the REAL scoop though.

Thanks !! I fell I have a civil duty to warn others and give HONEST UNBIASED facts about "METHahoma"

Old 01-23-2021, 06:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Speaking of Californians moving to OKC area, in case you haven't seen it before, here is a video of a Sacramento area family who recently did. They built a two story farm style home on 10 acres of land near the north edge of Stillwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WX7...ature=emb_logo

Old 01-24-2021, 06:53 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Yes, Saiboat, your sister is complaining about everything including the fact that there is only one TexMex restaurant.

One thing you forgot is banking. None of the super regional banks and some strange problems moving funds/closing accounts. Have you ever heard of ten day float on a cashier's check?

Old 01-24-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Yes, Saiboat, your sister is complaining about everything including the fact that there is only one TexMex restaurant.
No, she complains that all the so-called Mexican restaurants are actually Tex-Mex, and what is this "queso" stuff they put on everything.

Yes, she's obviously unhappy there. That's why everything that is subjective should be taken in context as one person's experience, though there are some facts there too, such as the difficulty of gardening, which someone coming from California should be aware of.

As far as banks go, they use a credit union, and as far as I know it's been fine.

Last edited by saibot; 01-24-2021 at 09:01 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 01:34 PM

57 posts, read 57,801 times
Edmond sounds well worth considering for you. It's grown fast in the past 50 years as a fairly upscale suburb in which to get away from OKC without cutting yourself off from the City. Generally the north edge of OKC has developed that way. You might also want to consider Yukon on the west edge of OKC. It's smaller than Edmond and kind of semi-rural. A law officer friend of ours chose Yukon to retire partly because of its low crime.

OK is one of the worst states for meth, but like everywhere, you can avoid the high-crime towns and neighborhoods.

Regarding gardening, OKC and Edmond straddle the boundary of two very different ground types. On the east side it's hillier, and the ground gets rocky with thinner soil. The Crosstimbers, as Eddie said. A rural relative a few miles north of Edmond told us that her yard wasn't much good for gardening. On the west side of OKC there is decent soil. Look for wheat fields as a hint about the soil; you won't see wheat on the far east side of OKC and Edmond.

Gardening outdoors in central OK is not impossible but is challenging. Sailbot is exactly right about the hazards. You'd have to be braced for occasional disasters because the temperature and rainfall varies wildly, and if you try to grow tomatoes you'll find yourself every spring having to cover them up temporarily from approaching storms.

Even the best produce for sale in OK is noticeably not as fresh and good as what you expect in California.

It's true as Sailbot says that most of your future neighbors will have grown up in OK and "not need" any new friends, but on the other hand Okies aren't stand-offish and are naturally inclined to be relaxed and friendly. (You can drive there for many years and never get honked at or hear any other honking.) I don't think you would find it hard to make friends eventually through work, homeschool networks, and especially churches. Almost half of Okies attend church at least once a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma