Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NBA Team... The Oklahoma City ??
Thunderbirds 4 36.36%
Barons 0 0%
Thunder 5 45.45%
Outlaws 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Do that many people inOkC have that much of a complex about having everyone KNOW it is in OkC? Do people like you think the city has that much of an inferiority complex?

But I think you missed my last point Nameless. I actually think the name OkC xxxx is more marketable, in short I agree that it would generate a more positive image of the city and even the state rather than just "oklahoma xxxx."

You're beginning to let your emotions about this Oklahoma City "coming of age" thing over-ride common sense.

You really are showing the inexperience of youth when you think that OkC could have gotten the team all on it's own with out support from other metro areas in the state. That would have been near impossible; the OkC metro area doesn't have the population to support an NBA team all on its own. Tulsa surely doesn't and neither does OkC. And btw, I don't think Tulsa would be able to get a hockey team without the proximity of OkC either.

BTW, Minnesota has two large cities; they are called Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Havent visited the site in a while. Good to see all the green country supporters!

I obviously couldnt agree more with nameless. I could list a billion reasons why it should be called the OKC whatevers and another billion why they shouldnt be the Oklahoma whatevers. Bottom line is the fact that OKC did all the work. We all know what it took and it took a heck of a lot from OKC, not to mention that the owners fom OKC bought the team. McClendon (one of the owners) is the third highest paid CEO in the United States and that speaks volumes for why the team is coming. He also has made OKC the natural gas capital of the world. It takes tons of money to lure the NBA, which OKC's leaders have. Its a no brainer.

The state of Oklahoma did not bring in the sonics, but OKC did.

OKC leaders also brought in the Hornets and relieved NO during a disaster. The NBA would not be looking at OKC if that didnt happen. The NHL was obviously coming but not one of the big three like the NBA.

OKC has been working this for over ten yrs. and it all started with maps and after that it became history. Considering all the taxes/bonds OKC has passed and all the taxes Tulsa has not passed, you have to ask yourself....If both cities were Tulsa then what would we be looking at today? IMO, most likely a state that would not be on a rise or progressing into a destination. The state would definitely be suffering because you have to pay the piper if you want to go forward.

Tulsa will most likely try to entertain the NHL in the future and OKC will be a monster draw for a move. Since Tulsa is around 10-15 yrs behind OKC it will probably happen in 20 yrs or less. We dont want two major teams with just the state name representing them and not the city. It looks weak.

Tulsa will be getting some games and it might have to fight off Norman or Lawton for a few, BUT they will only be pre-season and not during regular season. Period. That is already in the books.

On another note....
The football team called the Oklahoma Outlaws in the USFL was owned by parties in OKC and Tulsa. They played at Skelly stadium because OKC did not have a venue. That is why they used the state name and not a city.

Lets all just celebrate that a major team is on its way. If Tulsans cant wear an OKC NBA T-shirt, but OKCers wear southern hills attire from the PGA/US Open etc., then there are some up dar that have some major pride issues.
Get the chip off the old shoulder and enjoy the new team coming!
Go OKC Thunder! or Thunderbirds or Barons! They all sound like decent names.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Hi HT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
Bottom line is the fact that OKC did all the work.
With the help of a large metropolitan area just up the turnpike. Nobody will ever convince me that OkC would have gotten the Sonics without the rest of the state and especially, nearby Tulsa.

Quote:
We all know what it took and it took a heck of a lot from OKC, not to mention that the owners fom OKC bought the team.
Without a doubt this is true. I praise OkC for leading the state in bringing an NBA team to the city.

Quote:
The NBA would not be looking at OKC if that didnt happen.
True. But the NBA commissioner believes it will be for the benefit of the team if it is called the "Oklahoma xxxxxers." Something that I disagree with in that I believe the "OkC xxxxxers" is much more marketable and flashy.

Quote:
Since Tulsa is around 10-15 yrs behind OKC

Quote:
Tulsa will be getting some games and it might have to fight off Norman or Lawton for a few, BUT they will only be pre-season and not during regular season. Period. That is already in the books.
What is cool about that? And in who's books? The NBA commissioner that has already recommended that the team represent the state as opposed to a single city (something I don't believe is a good idea after reconsidering btw). I think OkC may be thinking differently after about five years when the new wears of and their potential alienation of Tulsa supporters will be needed to keep the team operating in the black (as opposed to the red). Again, I'm not talking about the name, I'm referring to having the team play in the premiere venue in the state, BOK Center.

Quote:
On another note....
The football team called the Oklahoma Outlaws in the USFL was owned by parties in OKC and Tulsa. They played at Skelly stadium because OKC did not have a venue. That is why they used the state name and not a city.
Really.. Hmm. I beg to differ. I believe this is what you are promoting but disagree entirely.

Quote:
Get the chip off the old shoulder and enjoy the new team coming!
I have no chip on my shoulder and I resent you implying that I do.

Drop the Tulsa versus OkC thing or this thread will be closed. We're all getting WAY off-topic; me included.

Last edited by Synopsis; 05-15-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hi HT,
Where have you been? I realize OkC has been working on this and they deserve the team. I'll have to disagree with you on several counts but am not going to go into a Tulsa versus OkC thing again and again. I do celebrate that there is a team coming to Oklahoma. I think we need to drop the Tulsa versus OkC thing or this thread will be closed. We're all getting WAY off-topic; me included.

Nuff said?
Whats up Synopse!
I would agree over the OKC vs. Tulsa stuff. Its ridiculous and is obviously bubbling up again over a freakin name. Im sure all will accept OKC NBA t-shirts eventually.

Lets keep to the topic at hand and that is the nickname. Not the branding!

Settle down. Nice to see ya! i think you took many things out of context.
I do say though. The premiere venue in the state? It has to seat at least 19000 people for an NBA experience. With the upgrades the ford center will have a footprint of over 800,000 sq ft....The bok has around 550,000. Just not comparable venues. One is super nice and one has the ability to have a major tenant like the NBA.

Last edited by happytown; 05-15-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
......... Im sure all will accept OKC NBA t-shirts eventually.
I'm sure Goodwill and Sally Ann will be carrying them soon enough.............

FWIW, I am one of those that feel that if someone wants me to advertise their business on my shirt or car or hat or something, they can pay me.

Not sure it is all that fair a trade though.......Seattle got Boeing, we get the Sonics.........

Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM

It's good to hear from you again but I had to rebut. However, I'd like to get back on topic of the name of the new team. I prefer the OkC Thunder.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I still like the Outlaws............

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I still like the Outlaws............
The Outlaws is a good name. This brings back memories...

http://www.ssur.org/research/USFLPaintSpecs/images/OklahomaOutlaws_1984_01.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma