Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Looks like women of the "old wild west" haven't changed much over the years!
Didn't you mean "OLD women of the wild West"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 01:08 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Snakes? You want to talk abour snakes?

Opened my washing machine yesterday and found a little snake all curled up inside. It was the size of an earth worm on steriods but as I didn't know if this was a baby copperhead I tried picking it up with some tongues and promptly dropped it behind the drum.

So I did a load of laundry ..... no problem.

Did another load this morning and as I was pulling the laudry out of the washer I saw something wriggling around. This time I managed to get it into the jar so I could try and identify it. It appeared to be harmless so I set it free.

All is good.

Then this afternoon I went to the hen house to check for eggs. I haven't had any eggs for a few days but I figured the girls were getting used to the hot weather.

I saw a long, dark thing .... and getting closer I realized it was a snake. I took some pictures for ID purposes and thought it was a copperhead. So I went back to the house to get my boots and a gun and by the time I got back it was gone. As it turns out, it was probably a rat snake ... it was at least 4 feet long, while a copperhead is much smaller.

All this is happening while Goodpasture is out of town. Lordsy Mersy ....
You guys are really kidding about this I hope. My husband told me there could be snakes in our creek and coyotes running through our property that will kill my new cat.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Joke? The only joke is on the people who come to Oklahoma and pretend to like it. It is HOT in the summer,you have to have air conditioning running and people get in your face when you leave your kids and dogs in the car when you go to an afternoon matinée.

It is COLD in the winter......that 4 inches of snow in January shut this country down for two days........Spring time it rains and the wind blows (speaking of blowing, there are way too many "in your face" people trying to help you.......I saw a guy hold a door open for an older woman the other day at the post office......talk about interfering with someones right to get their mail).......I had a big breakfast a couple of days ago in a cafe....three eggs, hashbrowns, toast, a large slice of ham, and a cup of coffee.......cost me $5.00!!!!!!! Did THEY ever see me coming. Today I had dinner at a KFC........buffet, all you can eat, $7.00!!!!!........I'm gonna have to start carrying a brown bag lunch.

Did you guys know that a tornado almost completely wiped out an abandoned town the other day? No one is safe. Why anyone would give up the security of the LA freeways and the pleasant folk who inhabit those nice affordable homes in California for Oklahoma shacks is beyond
me.
Yeah the schools close when there is a bit of snow that is what amazed me. It was nothing close to what Utah experienced this past winter. I am assumng they close because the cities are not equipped to handle plowing snow. Now the ice storm....GEEZ I could not live through that again, I almost went back to after that.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
You guys are really kidding about this I hope..
Nope ... serious as a heart attack:

Rat snake .... I concluded it must have been at least 6 ft long

And the snake that came from the washer ....

Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Nope ... serious as a heart attack:

Rat snake .... I concluded it must have been at least 6 ft long

And the snake that came from the washer ....

Thats just to funny Schousse,

If that would have happen to Bjb123? I'd still be chasing her down the road trying to get her to come home,.
Snakes don't bother me at all, but Bjb, now thats whole nother story.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Yeah the schools close when there is a bit of snow that is what amazed me. It was nothing close to what Utah experienced this past winter. I am assumng they close because the cities are not equipped to handle plowing snow. Now the ice storm....GEEZ I could not live through that again, I almost went back to after that.
Most the schools have substantial student populations of rural students. Although the major roads get cleared pretty quick, and the high traffic roads get traveled enough to melt most the snow, those backroads just do not get attention. Rather than invest in lots of equipment that will get used less than a week a year, it is better to just close the schools for the occasional snow. Frankly, I appreciate the schools for doing it, because those kids on that bus are at the mercy of a driver that rarely drives a bus in snow, and preventing ONE minor bus accident would justify shutting down the schools. The schools are into safety first........and I like that .

Old 05-31-2008, 08:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
You guys are really kidding about this I hope. My husband told me there could be snakes in our creek and coyotes running through our property that will kill my new cat.
If you live near a creek, there ARE snakes there. Look up cottonmouth water moccasin on google, and learn to identify them. They are aggressive. They WILL come after you if you penetrate their territory. Further, when they bite, they tend to hang on. A copperhead (you will find them in leaves, under rocks, in blackberry bushes, etc) will strike and let go. Not so with the moccasin. Both the moccasin and copperhead, unlike rattlers that are delicious, are not very good eating........

Coyotes LOVE fresh cat.......get yourself a couple of large dogs.......Andalusian or Pyrenees come to mind........very protective of their families and they will kill or run off coyotes.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Didn't you mean "OLD women of the wild West"?
Bite me, puter boy .....

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Bite me, puter boy .....
How about:

Wild Women of the Old West

Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif (broken link)

OMG, those hissers terrify me. Seriously, they're my arch enemy except for the fact that I'm so scared of them, I can't even get close enough to kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma