Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Then you don't know OKIES
I don't but I married one but he doesn't like snakes either. Well technically he is from Arkansas so not sure I consider him an Okie..ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Why kill them? Unless they are poisonous I let them live. They eat mice and other pests .......
You and I are opposites. I'd rather feed the hissers to the mice.

Seriously, I love furry things, even rodents. I have just always hated reptiles. I was intimidated into holding a baby gator for a pic, but EWWWW!! His mouth was even held shut, but still....

I really have a fear of them. When I see one slither, my hands sweat and I start shaking and I can't even scream. But I really didn't mean to offend you, Schousse because I wouldn't want someone saying they'd kill my beloved little furry creatures. I'm just terrified of them, that's all.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You and I are opposites. I'd rather feed the hissers to the mice.

Seriously, I love furry things, even rodents. I have just always hated reptiles. I was intimidated into holding a baby gator for a pic, but EWWWW!! His mouth was even held shut, but still....

I really have a fear of them. When I see one slither, my hands sweat and I start shaking and I can't even scream. But I really didn't mean to offend you, Schousse because I wouldn't want someone saying they'd kill my beloved little furry creatures. I'm just terrified of them, that's all.
It's understandable; alot of people fear reptiles but I'm with Schousse on this one - I don't want to see something killed because of my phobia. It is a life and as long as it's not a threat to me I'll just run the other way.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's understandable; alot of people fear reptiles but I'm with Schousse on this one - I don't want to see something killed because of my phobia. It is a life and as long as it's not a threat to me I'll just run the other way.
Oh really????

I can send you some tarantulas if you like....
They eat all kinds of bugs and unlucky small rodents...
GP will teach you how to pet them!
You wouldn't let a little old phobia stop you, right?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Oh really????

Is that "xenophobia"?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Is that "xenophobia"?
Not unless the tarantulas came from Mars....
Otherwise it would be "Arachnophobia".

Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Oh really????

Hey smart azz.

I'll run the other way from them too unless they jump on me, which they have been known to do. When that happens, my flailing arms might muster a "kill shot," unwittingly.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Hey smart azz.

I'll run the other way from them too unless they jump on me, which they have been known to do. When that happens, my flailing arms might muster a "kill shot," unwittingly.
Let me get this straight....

You'd run from a tarantula in your own house and then always have to wonder if it was in your bed every night?

You are a brave Texan my brother.

I didn't bother to bring my little pellet guns to OK for nothing...
They've been re-designated as "Tarantula Guns" now...
12 gages do too much property damage indoors, other wise that would be my next choice.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Let me get this straight....

You'd run from a tarantula in your own house and then always have to wonder if it was in your bed every night?

You are a brave Texan my brother.

I didn't bother to bring my little pellet guns to OK for nothing...
They've been re-designated as "Tarantula Guns" now...
12 gages do too much property damage indoors, other wise that would be my next choice.
He he.. I've never seen a tarantula since living in Hurst. The last time I saw a BIG spider was in Fort Worth, and that was over ten years ago.

If one was in my house, I'd muster the courage to capture it somehow and turn it loose outside. I'd only kill it as a last resort, meaning it was refusing to be captured and wanted to wonder around my house of its own free will. Not GONNA HAPPEN!

Here in the middle of the DFW metroplex, the big ones are never seen.

Strange, since many larger mammals can live here fine, such as racoons, possum, coyotes, and even foxes live here.

I like the pellet gun strategy though. You won't need it for Tulsa if I recall. I never saw a big wolf spider or tarantula there either.

Which brings back memories; once in FW, I saw a bird hovering around something on the ground trying to make up its mind on whether to attack (and eat good). Finally, the bird decided to give up because apparently whatever it was chasing was too much of a chore (or possibly a danger). It turned out to be a HUGE tarantula that was ready to defend itself to the death, or the bird's death. Those things are vicious!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
He he.. I've never seen a tarantula since living in Hurst. The last time I saw a BIG spider was in Fort Worth, and that was over ten years ago.

If one was in my house, I'd muster the courage to capture it somehow and turn it loose outside. I'd only kill it as a last resort, meaning it was refusing to be captured and wanted to wonder around my house of its own free will. Not GONNA HAPPEN!

Here in the middle of the DFW metroplex, the big ones are never seen.

Strange, since many larger mammals can live here fine, such as racoons, possum, coyotes, and even foxes live here.

I like the pellet gun strategy though. You won't need it for Tulsa if I recall. I never saw a big wolf spider or tarantula there either.

Which brings back memories; once in FW, I saw a bird hovering around something on the ground trying to make up its mind on whether to attack (and eat good). Finally, the bird decided to give up because apparently whatever it was chasing was too much of a chore (or possibly a danger). It turned out to be a HUGE tarantula that was ready to defend itself to the death, or the bird's death. Those things are vicious!
I'd only consider capture because it would be less messy.
(Apologies to the guy who was on the forum a while back who has pet tarantulas.)

Seriously... I catch and release quite a few spiders... And "Tex" has been on the phone with me once during such an operation over my bed last Sunday, so I have a witness.
(I sent that particular spider on a tour of the Tulsa sewer system.)

But.... If a full grown tarantula was in the house, I'd have no problem using the old .177 caliber... (With prejudice!)

A tiny bit of joint compound or spackle would hide the damage nicely...
Especially on Mrs. CG's marbled wall paint jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma