Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:30 AM

89 posts, read 149,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up. Oklahoma City and Tulsa area is pretty alright? What are the demographics like? Can the average Joe still make ends meet and afford a nice little house on an acre or 2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 12:47 AM

374 posts, read 250,994 times
I work a standard retail job and own a house (late 1940's ranch style house a standard city lot) in the OKC area. I can manage on my own but I rent out a room and that extra little bit is more than enough to keep money worries off my mind. Grocery, utility, and fuel costs have been rising quite rapidly over the last few months but otherwise they're both still highly affordable places to be for the average worker. Tulsa is absolutely the more scenic metro (there's a reason that area is called "Green Country") in terms of both natural scenery and urban development while OKC overall is much less interesting in terms of natural and urban beauty, though the city has been dumping untold millions into revitalization and beautification and is in my opinion much better situated regionally. The biggest detracting factor for Tulsa to me personally is that nearly every single major highway in and out of the Tulsa Metro is a tolled highway, with US 75 being the biggest exception.

Both are decently large cities and so both will have pockets of the super ritzy districts and urban blight/ghettos and both also will offer much in the way of entertainment, variety in shopping, and other such daily needs. If these two places are too big and you prefer a smaller location, consider Bartlesville, Enid, or Lawton. Either way, I would highly recommend spending a week or two out here in July or August when the summer heat is in full swing. Tulsa is one of the most humid places I've ever been (right up there with Houston and DC, and I say this as a Florida native!) while OKC tends to be more on the dry end but both are pretty equally hot during the summer. I'd be more concerned about the ice storms the state tends to get.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:46 AM

23,884 posts, read 10,260,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Oklahoma City and Tulsa area is pretty alright? What are the demographics like? Can the average Joe still make ends meet and afford a nice little house on an acre or 2?
An acre or two in town is not likely.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,475,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
You're more likely to find a nice big house with an acre or two in Edmond since it's the Oklahoma City suburb with the highest income.

As someone else said the scenery in Oklahoma City isn't much. However, I've been charmed before by how the scenery changes over to a somewhat hilly, semi forested landscape just to the northeast of Edmond along Route 66. Arcadia Lake adds to the scenery. Oklahoma City has some lakes, too, as in Hefner Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma