Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 04:20 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,441,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
And people in the ACTUAL Midwest disagree.

People forget that the Midwest really is more NORTH than anything. You can't be both Southern AND Midwestern.

Yes Sir. Folks like myself who have lived out of Oklahoma (both coasts including New England) and rubbin' elbows with folks regularly from the Midwest I've met none who consider Oklahoma or Tulsa the Midwest.

Each to his own I guess. We don't all have to be right. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 12:24 AM

17,877 posts, read 15,742,791 times
Buenos Aires is the Paris of the New World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7kAyTTzvCU

Old 12-24-2022, 04:32 AM

817 posts, read 609,468 times
Oklahoma is a Southern state, not a southwestern state.

Old 12-24-2022, 02:24 PM

1,835 posts, read 2,200,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes Sir. Folks like myself who have lived out of Oklahoma (both coasts including New England) and rubbin' elbows with folks regularly from the Midwest I've met none who consider Oklahoma or Tulsa the Midwest.

Each to his own I guess. We don't all have to be right. :-)

I've lived in:

Indiana - Midwest
Maryland - Mid-Atlantic (Not Southern)
Florida - Florida is just Florida, kinda southern, but also it's own thing
Alabama - Heart of the south
Kansas - Midwest
and Oklahoma, The dividing line between South, Midwest and Southwest.

Oklahoma is not a southern state. Tulsa is far more like Indiana and Kansas than Alabama or Florida. Oklahoma City is more like DFW/North Texas, which isn't southern either, it's part Southwest but all Texas.

And your "mid-south" based around Memphis? What? If this actually was a region Oklahoma City is larger than Memphis and is growing while Memphis is shrinking. But it's not a region, Oklahoma has about zero in common with western Tennessee or Arkansas.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:56 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,076,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
My Grandfather came from Paris TX......
Good. Didja ever see the movie, Paris, Texas?

Old 12-24-2022, 08:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,493,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Good. Didja ever see the movie, Paris, Texas?
No i never had the pleasure of seeing that particular movie.........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qOCFbDdCQ&ar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qOCFbDdCQ&ar

Last edited by Howest2008; 12-24-2022 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2022, 09:58 PM

2,030 posts, read 1,076,624 times
Those two youtube links don’t work for me.

Saw Paris Texas when it first came out. I liked it then but saw it recently and wasn’t as charmed by it this time around. A bit too slow-mo for me.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 4,654 times
I've lived in OKC for 12 years now and my wife was born and raised in Oklahoma. I go to Tulsa a lot to visit family and friends and it is just like OKC as far as the people and the culture.

Oklahoma is absolutely southern in every way! The food, the culture, the music, the dialect, the clothes and on and on.

New Mexico and Arizona are nothing like Oklahoma in anyway and they are the true southwest.

Every Okie I have met identifies as a southern and never have I heard of any Okie identifying as a midwestern or southwestern.

I lived in Raleigh for 3 years in my early 20's and It has more in common with OKC than say Tucson were my brother lives and has for over a decade now.

Honestly, Oklahoma and North Texas have the same culture and identity. I grew up in San Antonio.

Oh yeah, nothing is paris like in Oklahoma haha, might want to visit paris and europe before comparing any middle american cities to Paris.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:12 PM

17,633 posts, read 13,452,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker_yeti View Post
I've lived in OKC for 12 years now and my wife was born and raised in Oklahoma. I go to Tulsa a lot to visit family and friends and it is just like OKC as far as the people and the culture.

Oklahoma is absolutely southern in every way! The food, the culture, the music, the dialect, the clothes and on and on.

New Mexico and Arizona are nothing like Oklahoma in anyway and they are the true southwest.

Every Okie I have met identifies as a southern and never have I heard of any Okie identifying as a midwestern or southwestern.

I lived in Raleigh for 3 years in my early 20's and It has more in common with OKC than say Tucson were my brother lives and has for over a decade now.

Honestly, Oklahoma and North Texas have the same culture and identity. I grew up in San Antonio.

Oh yeah, nothing is paris like in Oklahoma haha, might want to visit paris and europe before comparing any middle american cities to Paris.
Through the years the Oklahoma regionalism has had a number of threads. As have had OKC and Tulsa.

There are plenty of people in OKC/Tulsa who don't identify as southern but rather as plains dwellers.

Old 01-05-2023, 08:12 AM

17,633 posts, read 13,452,818 times
To add to the above post.

This morning TMC was running the 1931 version of the Movie "Cimmaron" which is about early day Oklahoma and the Osage county and the Cherokee Strip. During the entire movie they referred to Oklahoma as the "southwest" even though today the case could be made that the Cherokee Strip and the Osage county would be considered the one part of Oklahoma that is Midwest in a Kansas sort of way.

I think the "southwest" designation has fallen out of favor time. But we all remember the "southwest conference" which was made up of entirely Texas teams (and even Oklahoma in the early days). But it certainly existed at one point for Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma