Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times

Advertisements

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 05-31-2008 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,141,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
Gettysburg Address, good one. This is even more funny. I used to sub teach and we were talking about presidents. I pulled out a one dollar bill and asked who was the president, of course most of the students answered Washington. I pulled out a five and asked who was the president, a couple answered Lincoln cause he was the fifth president. I said what??? They said, yeah because he's on the five, he was the fifth president. I said, are you kidding? What about Washington? Yes, he was the first president, so he's on the one dollar. I said, what about the quarter? Does that make him the first 1/4 president? Funny, yet tragic.
Funny story Techienomad,

So, that been what they think is the truth. Then that would have made Lincoln the First and Fifth Pres. He's on the penny too. Schools these days don't care about the childrens education, they're just wanting to work on the test scores so the school can get more money from the Fed. Gov. The biggest mistake that was ever made, was when that idiot Bush signed the "No child left behind, Bill". Its caused more problems then its worth up here in Ohio.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:28 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I guess that means Dubya is going to be on the $43 bill?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Funny story Techienomad,

So, that been what they think is the truth. Then that would have made Lincoln the First and Fifth Pres. He's on the penny too. Schools these days don't care about the childrens education, they're just wanting to work on the test scores so the school can get more money from the Fed. Gov. The biggest mistake that was ever made, was when that idiot Bush signed the "No child left behind, Bill". Its caused more problems then its worth up here in Ohio.
What you said about teaching to the test is true, but with good reason. When NCLB was passed (the worst piece of legislation ever to be associated with education), all sorts of "mandates" and "requirements" were given to the schools, which if they didn't meet, would result in the local schools being taken over by the state . The schools now spent so much time trying to cram down the throats of kids who are just not capable to do it, subjects like trigonometry, algebra II, physics and so on. Some kids can get a very good basic education and go on in life to be very productive, maybe not on Wall Street, but being an excellent carpenter, plumber, auto mechanic, or even a successful businessowner. Because the schools are mandated to do this, they can't spend the proper amount of time on BASIC education.

All men (people) are created equal, but not with equal talents or abilities.

I sure hope whoever wins the election in November makes as their first priority the burning of the NCLB legislation. I would be happy to bring the matches

(My rant on my favorite subject is over -- phew!)

Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,122 times
I'd like to see the federal government out of our schools. The schools should be what the community wants them to be, not one size fits all across the nation.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I'd like to see the federal government out of our schools. The schools should be what the community wants them to be, not one size fits all across the nation.
Peggy, what are you doing here?
Your suppose to be with another crowd.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I'm also tired of hearing about "American Idol or Idiots", as it should be called. I don't watch mindless TV drival such as that or any of the so called "reality TV", al a waste of time. Give me "New Yankee Work Shop" or "This Old House" any day of the week and I'm happy.

And as for the schools today? They seem to only teach the kids enough to get them out of the school and into a work force thier not ready for. I once asked a 9th grader who wrote the "Gettysburg Address" and where was the speak read at? And, he had no clue to the answer.

When we get old? WE'RE SCREWED!
Yep...
We sure are...

Heck...
In 4th grade I had to memorize (and recite in public at an assembly)
the Gettysburg Address... I still remember a lot of it.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:35 AM

We had sing the Song to the "US Marine Corp. and we wasn't in boot camp.
or were we?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
i'd Like To See The Federal Government Out Of Our Schools. The Schools Should Be What The Community Wants Them To Be, Not One Size Fits All Across The Nation.
Give That Woman A Cookie!

Old 06-01-2008, 02:37 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Here! Here! Keep the feds OUT of our local schools! They have absolutely NO business being there. They are ruining our educational system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma