Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,127 times

Advertisements

He gets more than 7,000 a month as retirement...even though they convicted him. Figures.

In a recient poll more than 15% of people said he should keep his retirement, even though he has been convicted of making illegal campaign contributions. That is the LEAST he has done over the years.

MuskogeePhoenix.com, Muskogee, OK - Stipe decision stinks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,524,483 times
He also represented the people of Oklahoma very well for many years.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:38 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,595,851 times
I agree with the dissenting justice: he violated his oath of office.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,529,865 times
So what were the shamful things he did in secret that we weren't supposed to know about?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:57 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,836,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
He also represented the people of Oklahoma very well for many years.
Not to be argumentative Schousse, but isn't/wasn't he a crook? I know you're more in the know because I haven't lived there for years.

Seriously, and I mean that in all sincerity, what were the good things that he did?

7K a month is a lot of money if the income that retirement is based upon criminal activities. Of course, 7K a month in prison doesn't do one a lot of good but his children and spouse will benefit from it.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,584,328 times
I would bet he was crooked in all those years of "public service". He is a convicted/admitted felon... Pure scum in my book, doesnt deserve a pot to **** in, especially one paid for by law abiding citizens of OK. What a joke!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,481,734 times
A short clip with citation below:

¶16 The Board also erred in concluding as a matter of law that Stipe's offenses violated his oath of office. The Board's "Findings in Support of Conclusions of Law" reveal that the Board's conclusion was based on conjecture and inferences based on Stipe's status as a state senator rather than upon evidentiary matter. The Board's findings were:

a) As a senior state legislator Stipe used the power and influence gained from his position to mastermind a conspiracy involving almost $250,000 in illegal campaign contributions to thirty-nine straw donors, each of whom violated the law on Stipe's behalf;

b) Stipe engaged in an elaborate scheme to cover his illegal activities, lying repeatedly about his involvement, all while serving as a lawmaker and officer of the State of Oklahoma - under Ethics Comm. v. Keating, Stipe was a state officer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;

c) Stipe's actions clearly violated his loyalty oath;

d) Stipe's actions were a violation of his constitutional oath in that he swore to faithfully discharge his duties as a senator; conduct in violating election laws, whether state or federal, demonstrates indifference to the voters of Oklahoma who repeatedly returned him to office . . .

AND... with regard to his retirement...

¶19 Finally, we agree with the district court that OPERS acted arbitrarily and capriciously by failing to follow its own administrative policy that a violation of federal law unrelated to the duties of the office of state senator is not a violation of the senator's oath of office and would not support forfeiture of retirement benefits. In re: Matter of Forfeiture of Retirement Benefits of Paul Taliaferro, OPERS hearing No. 92-9.

AND a short clip from the WINCHESTER, C.J., dissenting,

¶2 Stipe pled guilty to three counts: one count of Conspiracy to Obstruct a Federal Election Commission investigation, a felony; one count of perjury, also a felony; and one count of conspiracy to violate the Federal Election Campaign Act, a misdemeanor. According to Stipe's own admission, these crimes involved an elaborate conspiracy to funnel $245,189 in illegal campaign contributions to a candidate in the 1998 election campaign for Oklahoma's Third Congressional District. To accomplish this subversion, Stipe used at least 39 straw donors, each of whom violated the law on Stipe's behalf. The Senator then attempted to cover his illegal activities by repeatedly lying to investigators about his involvement and eventually committing perjury. All these events occurred during Stipe's tenure as a State Senator.

*OSCN Found Document:STIPE v. STATE ex rel. BD. OF TRUSTEES OF OKLAHOMA PUBLIC EMPLOYEES RETIREMENT SYSTEM

Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,932,668 times
He is also dying of cancer.......certainly a crooked politician, but he kept getting reelected, didn't he? From being adopted as a young child, to working his way through university, to working his way through law school, whatever you think of him today, he was one tough man in a time when there were lots of tough men.....and he was tougher than most. The movie about his life will be worth watching.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,060,127 times
The one thing I can and will say in his defense (sort of), he is only the one that was caught and/or convicted. Believe me, he was far from the only one guilty of the things he was involved in. I honestly believe in circumstances like this most of the time there are more than one person that is the crooked party. Southeastern Oklahoma has a long history of crooked officials. I love living here though.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,932,668 times
Of course it does. SE OK has ALWAYS been at the forefront of political corruption.

I am not trying to defend Gene or Francis. I find their actions inexcusable, and he SHOULD have been sent up several years ago.

But I will not begrudge a man his accomplishments in one area when I fervently disagree with what he has done in other areas.

One area I feel he has failed the people of Oklahoma, and it isn't a crime, but it is immoral........Gene owns several title companies. We don't do title insurance here...we still abstract. Why? Because every time it came up, he used his political connections to keep us in the old archaic system. We still abstract, to the tune of (frequently) several thousands of dollars to do a title search. A title insurance company costs a couple of hundred. This archaic system is costing home buyers thousands of excess closing costs each year....why? So Stipe could maintain his income stream from title searches. Unconscionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: