Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I will get through it....air conditioned home to ac car to ac office and back home again....with an occasional shopping trip. Oh but I did weed the garden today.
It's a culture shock, we all get it. Some alittle more shocking than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Ha ha its not just the weather question I get that answer for I get it for everything I ask. Of course he said we didn't have this type of weather until I got here....bad weather follows me and it really is true
He's still correct you know...

You mean it's been your fault all along?
I thought it was MY fault the weather turned bad when I got here...
Then again, I wasn't around for the big ice storm.

Maybe we're just being too hard on ourselves...
It's probably MK's fault!
I think it all started when he got to Duncan.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:02 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post

I won't argue with that

Old 06-06-2008, 11:11 AM

55 posts, read 147,129 times
Default Ok Weather

I agree the ice storm was pretty bad. We were out of power for nearly 2 weeks and stayed warm with the fireplace but you could still see your breath in the living room.
But, I've noticed over the years our winters aren't as bad as they were when I was a kid....at least where snow is concerned. I guess it's due to global warming....? I remember, and have pictures, of my Dad digging his car out of the snow so he could go to work. It was about mid-thigh high on me in the yard but drifted up past the bottom of the door window on his car so he had a lot of digging out to do. He was a rural mail carrier around Konawa and had to drive all day in that stuff....I don't know how he did it. I would have just called in and said I couldn't make it but not him. But, that was a common occurence back then and I haven't seen those kind of winters in a long time.

So, I guess the winters these days aren't that bad....could be a lot worse. But, I don't want to have to deal with another ice storm like we had. I'm still trying to clean up that mess and the wind and storms aren't helping.

And speaking of storms....I've been in several tornadoes. I've not been in a house that's been blown away but it's came mighty close. Mom and Dad had their cellar where you could get to it from the laundry room but Dad would never come down there with us. I never could figure out why. I used to think he was trying to be tough but now I wonder if he was just claustrophobic. I don't know. When I was in sixth grade we were having open house at school....you know, where your parents come and look at your classroom and stuff. It was stormy but we went anyway. While we were there the tornado sirens went off. We ran and got in the car because Dad said we were going to drive home, which was not very smart because we lived about six miles from the school. The South Canadian River isn't far from the school and when we got outside you could here the tornado on the river.

The sound was like thunder that never stopped. As soon as we got in the car the biggest hail I've ever seen started pounding the car. Mom and I both told Dad that we didn't think this was a good idea but he said "we'll drive out of it before we get home". Well, we didn't and we drove very slow all the way home. I don't see how the windshield kept from breaking. The hail was about baseball size but it had spikes coming off of it and wasn't smooth round ice like the smaller hail sizes are. We finally made it home and went to the cellar....except for Dad. After it passed us I went outside and got 2 or 3 hail stones (boulders) and put in the freezer. I kept them there for about 2 years or so just to show everybody when they came over. Then there was the tornado that was sucking up water out of Konawa Lake. Somebody called Mom and said there was a tornado hovering over the lake and sucking up water. We looked out of the patio door and during lightning flashes you could see it. Pretty weird. Then it just went back up in the clouds. Of course we went to the cellar....except for Dad.

There were quite a few of these type instances while I was growing up. I've had it happen a few times at my own house but the last time it happened at Mom and Dads was about 10 years ago. I was visiting Mom and Dad for the weekend. Their house is up on a high hill and you can see for miles. Dad and I were sitting out on the porch sipping on a cold beer watching this storm over on the horizon. We were admiring how it was just constant lightning. We watched it move north but what we didn't realize was that apparently it was circling us. The next thing I know Mom and my wife opened the door and said there was a tornado warning for Seminole County. Dad said "well I guess we should go in". Just then the wind just started blowing really hard. The chairs we were sitting in started scooting across the porch. Mom, my wife, and my kids all went to the cellar. I said "c'mon Dad let's go". He said "Nah, I'll stay up here and watch the weather on TV". I'm a grown man at this point and I wasn't going to let Dad stay out of the cellar while I crawled off to be with the women and children so I said "Ok, fine. I'll stay up here with you then." Of course Mom and my wife were screaming for us to get in the cellar but I wasn't going to budge until he did. Finally the chairs and stuff on the porch just disappeared. Much to my amazement he said "oh alright, maybe ought to head that way." Of course I was relieved that I wasn't going to die over stubbornness (is that a word?). So, here we went. I went down first....to comfort the women of course .

But, Dad sat at the top of the steps and would not come all the way down in the cellar. Now I was getting pissed. He was making me look bad in front of my wife and kids. So, I did the only thing I could. I went up and sat on the top step with him. There was a window in the laundry room so we were watching the storm through the window from where we sat. I said "boy, it's pretty bad out there." He said "yea, but it'll blow over soon." I said "man, it's really blowing hard." He said "yea." Then it was blowing the rain and debris so hard that we could barely see anything out of the window. I said "dang, it's really dark out there." He said "yea." Then, while we were looking at the window, the window pane actually started bulging and pulsating in and out. By now I'm thinking that if he don't go all the way down in the cellar soon I'm going to have to go change my underwear. FINALLY he said "well, maybe we ought to get down there." In my mind I'm saying "thank you lord" but what I said to him was "yea, we probably should, just to keep the women calm." So, we went down and closed the door. But, he only went far enough to get the door shut then sat on the steps. I couldn't take it anymore. I said "Damn it Dad, get your ass all the way down here before a tornado hits and sucks you out." Well, he did....finally.

About that time the hail started and we could here the wind getting stronger. Then, all of a sudden, everything just stopped. That's pretty freaky when that happens. Anyway, we rode it out. When it was all over we came out to see what damage there might be. The lawn chairs and table we had been sitting in was now in a tree in the pasture. There were huge limbs torn off and we had no power and there were also some shingles missing off the roof. It must have just side-swipped us. Fortunately it wasn't a direct hit. I had a long talk with Dad about being stubborn about not going to the cellar. I don't think he listened but at least I tried.

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-06-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 04:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
That was an interesting story. Thanks for sharing it. BTW, I agree, I think dad was claustrophobic

Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post

Yes, I think that MK should be the forum scapegoat. I can make that your moniker if you'd like MK..

Naw, we are kind of fond of you MK. Please stick around.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieWolf View Post
I agree the ice storm was pretty bad. We were out of power for nearly 2 weeks and stayed warm with the fireplace but you could still see your breath in the living room.
But, I've noticed over the years our winters aren't as bad as they were when I was a kid....at least where snow is concerned. I guess it's due to global warming....? I remember, and have pictures, of my Dad digging his car out of the snow so he could go to work. It was about mid-thigh high on me in the yard but drifted up past the bottom of the door window on his car so he had a lot of digging out to do. He was a rural mail carrier around Konawa and had to drive all day in that stuff....I don't know how he did it. I would have just called in and said I couldn't make it but not him. But, that was a common occurence back then and I haven't seen those kind of winters in a long time.

So, I guess the winters these days aren't that bad....could be a lot worse. But, I don't want to have to deal with another ice storm like we had. I'm still trying to clean up that mess and the wind and storms aren't helping.

And speaking of storms....I've been in several tornadoes. I've not been in a house that's been blown away but it's came mighty close. Mom and Dad had their cellar where you could get to it from the laundry room but Dad would never come down there with us. I never could figure out why. I used to think he was trying to be tough but now I wonder if he was just claustrophobic. I don't know. When I was in sixth grade we were having open house at school....you know, where your parents come and look at your classroom and stuff. It was stormy but we went anyway. While we were there the tornado sirens went off. We ran and got in the car because Dad said we were going to drive home, which was not very smart because we lived about six miles from the school. The South Canadian River isn't far from the school and when we got outside you could here the tornado on the river.

The sound was like thunder that never stopped. As soon as we got in the car the biggest hail I've ever seen started pounding the car. Mom and I both told Dad that we didn't think this was a good idea but he said "we'll drive out of it before we get home". Well, we didn't and we drove very slow all the way home. I don't see how the windshield kept from breaking. The hail was about baseball size but it had spikes coming off of it and wasn't smooth round ice like the smaller hail sizes are. We finally made it home and went to the cellar....except for Dad. After it passed us I went outside and got 2 or 3 hail stones (boulders) and put in the freezer. I kept them there for about 2 years or so just to show everybody when they came over. Then there was the tornado that was sucking up water out of Konawa Lake. Somebody called Mom and said there was a tornado hovering over the lake and sucking up water. We looked out of the patio door and during lightning flashes you could see it. Pretty weird. Then it just went back up in the clouds. Of course we went to the cellar....except for Dad.

There were quite a few of these type instances while I was growing up. I've had it happen a few times at my own house but the last time it happened at Mom and Dads was about 10 years ago. I was visiting Mom and Dad for the weekend. Their house is up on a high hill and you can see for miles. Dad and I were sitting out on the porch sipping on a cold beer watching this storm over on the horizon. We were admiring how it was just constant lightning. We watched it move north but what we didn't realize was that apparently it was circling us. The next thing I know Mom and my wife opened the door and said there was a tornado warning for Seminole County. Dad said "well I guess we should go in". Just then the wind just started blowing really hard. The chairs we were sitting in started scooting across the porch. Mom, my wife, and my kids all went to the cellar. I said "c'mon Dad let's go". He said "Nah, I'll stay up here and watch the weather on TV". I'm a grown man at this point and I wasn't going to let Dad stay out of the cellar while I crawled off to be with the women and children so I said "Ok, fine. I'll stay up here with you then." Of course Mom and my wife were screaming for us to get in the cellar but I wasn't going to budge until he did. Finally the chairs and stuff on the porch just disappeared. Much to my amazement he said "oh alright, maybe ought to head that way." Of course I was relieved that I wasn't going to die over stubbornness (is that a word?). So, here we went. I went down first....to comfort the women of course .

But, Dad sat at the top of the steps and would not come all the way down in the cellar. Now I was getting pissed. He was making me look bad in front of my wife and kids. So, I did the only thing I could. I went up and sat on the top step with him. There was a window in the laundry room so we were watching the storm through the window from where we sat. I said "boy, it's pretty bad out there." He said "yea, but it'll blow over soon." I said "man, it's really blowing hard." He said "yea." Then it was blowing the rain and debris so hard that we could barely see anything out of the window. I said "dang, it's really dark out there." He said "yea." Then, while we were looking at the window, the window pane actually started bulging and pulsating in and out. By now I'm thinking that if he don't go all the way down in the cellar soon I'm going to have to go change my underwear. FINALLY he said "well, maybe we ought to get down there." In my mind I'm saying "thank you lord" but what I said to him was "yea, we probably should, just to keep the women calm." So, we went down and closed the door. But, he only went far enough to get the door shut then sat on the steps. I couldn't take it anymore. I said "Damn it Dad, get your ass all the way down here before a tornado hits and sucks you out." Well, he did....finally.

About that time the hail started and we could here the wind getting stronger. Then, all of a sudden, everything just stopped. That's pretty freaky when that happens. Anyway, we rode it out. When it was all over we came out to see what damage there might be. The lawn chairs and table we had been sitting in was now in a tree in the pasture. There were huge limbs torn off and we had no power and there were also some shingles missing off the roof. It must have just side-swipped us. Fortunately it wasn't a direct hit. I had a long talk with Dad about being stubborn about not going to the cellar. I don't think he listened but at least I tried.
Hey OkieWolf, I hope you don't mind but I edited your response. Not the content but put a few breaks in there. I did that because it was an EXCELLENT post and I wanted to make it more readable. I promise I didn't touch the content. Thanks for such a wonderful post.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I hate the weather in oklahoma. Loved it up North but I am hear and the blessing is I have a ranch which no way on earth you could afford in another State. Now after 2 ice storms I am prepared. Unfortuately, my husband has spent most of the last few years cutting trees.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Hey OkieWolf, I hope you don't mind but I edited your response. Not the content but put a few breaks in there. I did that because it was an EXCELLENT post and I wanted to make it more readable. I promise I didn't touch the content. Thanks for such a wonderful post.
It was an excellent post...
And I read it as originally posted...

But I too have to admit that using paragraphs or breaks
makes things easier for us old folks with bad eyes to read...

Welcome aboard OkieWolf...
Enjoyed the story!
Hope to see you around more in the future!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:55 AM

432 posts, read 669,305 times
Down here in DFW, we're pretty much past the spring storm season, and that's a good thing. Now, we'll settle down to a nice, toasty summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma