U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,511,704 times

Advertisements

I've been listening to our local guys chase them all day, and now there is one out of control and burning close to the town of Gotebo. According to KSWO it has already gotten a few structures.

Praying for the residents safety and the safety of the people fighting the fire.

Link to story: KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: Gotebo urged to evacuate due to grass fire
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,354,279 times
The winds have been horrific the last several days. And this morning, when I got up (before 5 am) it was howling as bad as if we were in a tornado, constantly. This is seriously strange weather and I do pray for those people up there in Gotebo. Grassfires are really a problem in the country and can sweep through hundreds of thousands of acres in not time.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,162,862 times
Isn't it late in the year to be having wildfires? I hope the people in Gotebo get out all right. I wish this dang wind would slow down some.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:15 PM

The wind won't stop and hasn't stopped down here in more than a week. It's the first time I've seen the wind blowing constantly day and night, day and night without being under a severe thunderstorm warning or something. Seriously, something is not right. Global warming, global cooling, or is it....

Global Winding!!!!

All jokes aside, it is weird. Never, ever have I experienced continued wind that is so strong.

At Bell Helicopter where I work, they are constructing a new building just to the South of us. Whenever I go outside to the cafeteria or when entering or leaving the plant, there is this white powder falling from the sky. I finally found out what it is. It's the insulation they are installing in the new building (a combo of ground up styrofoam and something else they are pouring between the cinder blocks) that is being swept up by the wind and deposited as if it was summer snow..

Or is that asbestos?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,295,211 times
They said that the town of Gotebo has been completely evacuated.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Here's a wind map off weather underground. The bad thing is, they predict this to last for four or five more days. And it's not even as bad here as it is in SW Oklahoma and West Texas.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

And Gotebo is in the biggest part of this mess. I pray all of those folks are safe and their homes are undamaged.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I posed the question to the meteorologists that we have on this forum because I'm not hearing anything about the reasons for this type of weather on the local news. However, I don't watch the local news that much so that's probably the reason why.. Thread is below.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ml#post4004364

Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,295,211 times
I'm just thankful it's not sand storms like we had in the desert in CA. Talk about sand blasting. A perfect place to get a face lift.
My truck had some paint removed from the hood and the top of the cab from that.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,511,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Isn't it late in the year to be having wildfires? I hope the people in Gotebo get out all right. I wish this dang wind would slow down some.
Yes it is late, but when the wind kicks up like this it dries things out VERY quickly... and we haven't had any measurable rain lately.

Last word on Gotebo is that the fire is 75% contained and there have been some houses destroyed. There is a storm cell moving in their direction so hopefully it will bring them some rain.

We only had one small one IN Duncan today, and they got to it quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>