U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:24 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,215,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
This:
Taxes are taken out of my paycheck before I even see the money. The government has set up all sorts of programs for people to get money (housing assistance, welfare, medical care, tuition assistance, training, etc.). In other words, things that I pay for, for me and mine, and don't look to the government to provide for me.

In the corporate world, there are all types of "welfare" to corporations to "assist" them in setting up businesses. The government also awards contracts to businesses (paid for with my tax money) that are giving kickbacks to government officials. In NJ, they have "pay to play" where businesses would "contribute" to local government to be able to receive contracts for work. The Governor recently signed a bill that now restricts pay to play so that you can't contribute until AFTER the contract is over. Like the contractor would get a second shot at a bid if he didn't "pay" for the 1st contract -- AFTER the contact was over, of course.

These are all ways the federal and local governments are taking my money to hand over to someone else for absolutely no benefit to me.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-15-2008, 08:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,340,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
If this is legit, Oklahoma rocks!
It's legit even if it does turn out to be symbolic, or the groundwork to shore up some other legislation on the books.

The links that Synopsis put up are straight to State Govt. sites and the one "tracks" bills as they progress. It passed the House with a vote of 92 yes and 3 no... it is stalled in the Senate until they return to session. Can't wait for the outcome when they reconvene!!

While you are digging around take a peek at another one in the works... It is called "The Scum of the Earth Bill" Gotta love that title! Oklahoma House of Representatives - Media Summary

Old 06-15-2008, 09:07 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,853,776 times
I understand what you mean now.

Personally, I have a big problem with people who milk the system.

However, having said that, living in a civilized society I believe it is our duty to look out for those less fortunate and those who need a leg up. I have absolutely no problem with people who are down and out to temporarily receive government assistance. I also believe that small businesses, who provide the tax base and employment to many small communities, should get all the advantages they can get.

What I have a problem with, aside people who milk the system, are the tax credits given to the huge corporations whose profits range in the millions. Like oil companies and companies like Haliburton whose main purpose, it appears, is to line the pockets of Cheney et al.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM

32,837 posts, read 18,634,090 times
What's interesting is about 15 years ago, one of the Lakota tribes up north seceded from the U.S. I hear tell its happening again. *see link. It was covered in the newspaper Indian Country, but nary a word on CNN etc.

Guess some other folks are starting to wise up to "Washington Deceipt".

Lakota Sioux Secede From US, Declare Independence - CommonDreams.org

Old 06-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
It's legit even if it does turn out to be symbolic, or the groundwork to shore up some other legislation on the books.

The links that Synopsis put up are straight to State Govt. sites and the one "tracks" bills as they progress. It passed the House with a vote of 92 yes and 3 no... it is stalled in the Senate until they return to session. Can't wait for the outcome when they reconvene!!

While you are digging around take a peek at another one in the works... It is called "The Scum of the Earth Bill" Gotta love that title! Oklahoma House of Representatives - Media Summary
Why limit it to pregant women? Murder is murder ....... and assault is assault.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,614,649 times
Illegal Immigration ALIPAC Forums-viewtopic-Oklahoma asking help from ALIPACERS

Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
What's interesting is about 15 years ago, one of the Lakota tribes up north seceded from the U.S. I hear tell its happening again. *see link. It was covered in the newspaper Indian Country, but nary a word on CNN etc.

Guess some other folks are starting to wise up to "Washington Deceipt".

Lakota Sioux Secede From US, Declare Independence - CommonDreams.org
No suprise there. In order to get the real "poop" on Indian Affairs the Indian media is the only source. Mainstream media has never heard of the BIA .....

Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,215,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I understand what you mean now.

Personally, I have a big problem with people who milk the system.

However, having said that, living in a civilized society I believe it is our duty to look out for those less fortunate and those who need a leg up. I have absolutely no problem with people who are down and out to temporarily receive government assistance. I also believe that small businesses, who provide the tax base and employment to many small communities, should get all the advantages they can get.

What I have a problem with, aside people who milk the system, are the tax credits given to the huge corporations whose profits range in the millions. Like oil companies and companies like Haliburton whose main purpose, it appears, is to line the pockets of Cheney et al.
There's a discussion about the "welfare" systems going on the parenting forum right now. Anyone with any compassion agrees that certain members of our society need help and should be able to get it from the government. However, welfare and programs like that are supposed to be a temporary measure, not a way of life. And even worse than that type of welfare is the welfare given to large corporations who's CEOs are making millions. I agree, small businesses should get help. Small businesses create jobs, contribute to the community and give the community a sense of worth.

It seems to me that our country has gotten so far away from the ideals and ideas of the founding fathers. I know times have changed and a country needs to change as well, but so much of our lives are govenment controlled that the sense of apathy and frustration with the Feds is epic. I mean, how many people are REALLY impressed with the choice of candidates for the presidental election?

I guess I'm getting off topic, now. Sorry, mods.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,780,035 times
It sounds real good till the Federal Government cuts off funding for Education, medical, transportation, ect programs. That is discounting AFDC and Welfare programs. Not that I don't think it is great.. I do. But then the US Military supplies cease trickling into the National Guard and we have to fund them ourselves... I don't think I wanna be on the billing end of any of those programs, I figure I already pay enough.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I mean, how many people are REALLY impressed with the choice of candidates for the presidental election?
Um ..... I am.

It is about time that this country was dragged into the current century and had a woman and a black man as Presidential candidates.

Aside from their gender and race, I think that the Democrats put forth candidates that will make changes for the better in this country.

McCain seems to be a nice guy, but is more of the same of what we have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma