U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,285,514 times

Advertisements

Strangely enough electing candidates who believe in gun control HAS resulted in the passing of gun control laws in the past...

Sadly the supposed conservative politicians also support gun control to varying degrees.

What is THE issue that decides a candidates worth to you??
Rate this post positively

Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,601,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Strangely enough electing candidates who believe in gun control HAS resulted in the passing of gun control laws in the past...
Not without electing a substantial number of other candidates who agree with the principle. One person, regardless of their position, can not enact a law or completely change a direction in policy.

Quote:
What is THE issue that decides a candidates worth to you??
What makes you think there is a "THE" issue? There are always a number of issues that should be looked at. Currently there are a bunch of issues that have to be addressed. The War in Iraq, the War on Drugs, the border, illegal immigration, the economy, states rights, the credit crisis, the balance of payments, the cost of energy, the housing crisis, FEMA, exporting of jobs, big business tax breaks, NAFTA, Iranian nuclear development, Pakistani harboring of Al Qaeda, school mandates, health care, infrastructure (bridges, roads, airports, etc), etc, etc, etc......all are issues that the current administration has neglected or mismanaged and must be addressed. To make a decision based on a single issue such as the second amendment or abortion or some other emotional hotbutton issue that will not be resolved anyway (the country is way to evenly divided for any one side to get broad based support) is the definition of an incompetent voter.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:34 AM

19,556 posts, read 20,285,514 times
Ever thought the reason there are so many 'issues' is to keep us divided?

The Democrats have a majority in CONgress,if a popular Dem President is elected (who has stated many times his support for more gun control laws), why would you not think more restictive laws would be passed?

Especially when so many gun owners themselves are willing participants in taking away some guns?

Sorry but the 2nd amendment is as negoatiable as the 1st in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 15,601,266 times
Quote:
Ever thought the reason there are so many 'issues' is to keep us divided?
no, I always thought that it was because none of us (excepting, maybe you) are so simplistic that one issue is all that we can think about. Life is complex. While going to a job that requires focus to feed kids a healthy safe diet who are going to a school we have to monitor and provide a house that has to be paid for in accordance with market rate terms that change, and while working in tandem with a woman that we have to be intimately involved with in our decision making, we also need to plan for keeping everyone healthy, providing for retirement, college, and our parents. To shoot or not to shoot is not a major day to day concern.

Quote:
The Democrats have a majority in CONgress,
Not a filibuster proof majority, although we can hope that that will change.

Quote:
if a popular Dem President is elected (who has stated many times his support for more gun control laws), why would you not think more restictive laws would be passed?
Because the representatives are not going to get involved in an issue that will cost them a future election. Gun rights are a hot issue and will be left to the state to determine.....there is too much else that needs attention to take on a side issue.

What makes you think they will walk in lock step the way the republicans do?

Quote:
Sorry but the 2nd amendment is as negoatiable as the 1st in my opinion.
Can you rephrase that so it makes sense?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 PM

2,765 posts, read 6,893,547 times
I am looking forward to Mr. and Mrs. Oz's visit and stay at our house. It won't be boring

Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 17,698,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Those are 3 items in a huge spectrum of items. It is like saying that voting for a democrat as president will mean gun control. Surely you cannot be so naive as to think that just because a president believes in something it will happen? That is what you have lobbyists and Representatives for.

Other than a "change for the worse", Where did I say anything about what would happen when the Oath of Office was taken?

I gave a small summary of what was on all 3 candidates agendas.
with that said, I never assumed that just because it's on their agenda that it would be followed through with, or if the people would let it be followed through with.

Naive?

I'm one of the hundreds of thousands Americans across this country that helped stop Amnesty Bills HB 1804 (2005) and Bill s.1348 (2007) from passing, by writting, faxing, calling and email Congressmen, Senators and State and Local Representative with our view on Amnesty and informing them that 85% of the US Citizens were against the Bill.

I'm not trying to turn this into an immigration issue.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 AM

2,765 posts, read 6,893,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post

I'm one of the hundreds of thousands Americans across this country that helped stop Amnesty Bills HB 1804 (2005) and Bill s.1348 (2007) from passing, by writting, faxing, calling and email Congressmen, Senators and State and Local Representative with our view on Amnesty and informing them that 85% of the US Citizens were against the Bill.

I rest my case.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 AM

13,387 posts, read 17,698,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I rest my case.

Tyin' to get the last word in. huh?

The point to my last post is:
I don't judge people by their looks, gender or ethnicity like too many other people do.
My vote(s) for elected officials is determined by:
(1) what a person has said or hasn't said about issue(s) that could impact the good of American People.
(2)on the same issue(s),.... what attempts have been made the person(s) to follow through with their obligations.
That's just a coulple of many things that I look for in a person before I vote for them.

If I'm Naive,,,,,,,at least when it comes to this, then............

GIVE THE LADY A CEEGAR!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:51 PM

432 posts, read 608,568 times
The Oklahoma sovereignty issue has made it into the media. In DFW, on radio station KRLD (1080 AM), it was discussed on a talk show called Texas Overnight, hosted by Charley Jones. The show airs from midnight to 4am CTZ. I only listened for a few minutes, since I was in my car. But the host discussed the subject with a caller.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,167,402 times
Go Oklahoma, Goooooooooooooo! Next step Oklahoma is a sovereign and independent nation not globally tied to the NWO. I don't care if your state had the worst weather and ugliest land anywhere, if they took a stand I would live there.

FFS Ohio has gutless puppets for representatives. They don't even embody the will of the Ohio people anymore. Kansas and Oklahoma are usually tough states that do not like getting pushed around, or when feel threatened do fight back. I hate politics. All I have are prayers. But man I wish you Oklahomans the best of luck in the world. If you stand on your own, im coming to you.

I know you guys are right for taking a stand. Enough talk. This nation is embarrassingly complacent and indifferent anymore because of the propaganda that has been hung over their heads for so long. I wish we could all go our own way and keep this nation from becoming a military armed used to control other nations. If we must dismantle, sobeit!

I know is just a declaration that doesn't mean anything as of now. But why even file it and idle by? Freedom isn't the statue of liberty, its the great plains. Our states and our people do not want to be part of a New World Order. There is no other definition of reasons needed. There are no other words needed. Its as simple as that. They KNOW we will not choose their path willingly.

With prayer the land will provide for its people with or without the rest of the states. That's what I think. I'm not scared to live without the amenities the US media pushes on us as quality of life. Its a tradeoff for our very sovereignty and our futures for quick pleasures today. This country is WAY lost. FACT.

You see this headline in a Russia paper, but not a US one. I'm sure Russia would triumph if the United States was to break up and collapse. However, it might not be that bad of a thing. There is always the EU and other nations to try and balance things out. Cant let our country become a weapon used against its own people and the world. We have an AWOL government, and European nations are advancing that government that goes against the will of its own people.

If our states declare sovereignty and or become their own independent nations or some kind of different system that goes against the global system they will collapse those states involved and hurt its people. That is one thing you can be sure of. They would sabotage any state that tries to stand on its own feet.

Freedom isn't free they were right. You have to kill for their corporations to have false sense of freedom thats not even the real thing. You have to abide by their rules meaning its obvious they do nor represent us. We're suppose to represent them. Its certainly backwards.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-20-2008 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma