Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 86,199 times

Advertisements

We are heading through Oklahoma on our way down to Texas. We are trying to decide if we should detour through some of the National Parks, mountains, etc. It will add just a few hours onto our trip and we think the boys would enjoy it.

Is it worth our time? Any suggestions? What should we see?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,830,663 times
It would depend a little on what you like to do and which route you might be taking.

If you are coming through on I35 try the Chickasha Nation Recreation Area: Chickasaw National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) Among other things there is a Nature Museum and different Nature trails to walk on.

A little further south is Turner Falls (broken link)... very pretty.

Take a peek at the TravelOK website to find things that you might like as well. TravelOK.com:* Official Oklahoma Tourism Info. Site

We just took a drive up to OKC this last weekend... Of course we HAD to visit the Massive Bass Pro Shop and then we walked along the lower riverwalk to have lunch at Earl's Rib Palace. (yummy food! ) There is a Marble Slab Creamery right next door.
If you are too full (or too lazy ) to make the walk back you can take the River Taxi and it will drop you off back by the Bass Pro Shop.

Have fun!

Old 05-19-2008, 05:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby View Post
We are heading through Oklahoma on our way down to Texas. We are trying to decide if we should detour through some of the National Parks, mountains, etc. It will add just a few hours onto our trip and we think the boys would enjoy it.

Is it worth our time? Any suggestions? What should we see?

Thanks for the help!
The Ouachita Mountains are about 160 miles east of I-35 at Ardmore, so it would be more than just a few hours. But, IMO well worth the trip. The Ouachita Mountains are beautiful and you would probably find yourselves wanting to stay more than a few hours.

Enjoy...

http://students.ou.edu/T/Andrew.A.Taylor-1/suntrees.jpg (broken link)

http://www.travelok.com/graphics/media/photography/10.jpg (broken link)

http://www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/large/4231.jpg (broken link)

You might also wish to go West to the Wichita Mountains. Notice the difference in climate between the two mountain ranges? That's the diversity of Oklahoma. Go a couple of hundred miles in either direction and you get an entirely different climate.

http://www.travelok.com/graphics/media/photography/09.jpg (broken link)

http://www.emporia.edu/socanth/images/BradAndersonMelissaBruceAnthonyWestbyandJesseColso ntakeintheviewsfromatopMt_001.jpg (broken link)

I love Oklahoma..

Old 05-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Thanks for responding. I am almost afraid to tell the hubby and boys about the BassPro shop. LOL

Those pics are gorgeous! I will have to show the boys.

We are trying to find a few things along the way and decided a scenic drive might be nice- I thought we could hike and picnic somewhere. It's hard to do when you aren't familiar with the area. The last trips down we mainly stayed in the middle of Oklahoma and this time we need to drop off a dog for my sister-in-law's friends in Missouri, about 2 hours south of Kansas City.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 AM

I would suggest the Arbuckle Mountains/Turner Falls area as someone else said (if you don't have all that much time). All you have to do is get off the Interstate before you reach Ardmore. It's literally right off the Interstate.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times
Turner Falls, Chickasaw NR area, and Arbuckle Wildererness are all close together and right off I-35. Perfect if you don't have much time.

If you do have time, driving down through the eastern part of the state is more beautiful and scenic, but the roads are 2 lanes for the most part, and you slow down to go through every small town.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks- I will look at the atlas and talk it over with the hubby.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM

WOW! We absolutely loved Turner Falls. Everybody in the family was amazed and kept thanking me for asking everyone. We hope to spend a few days there next year!

Thanks sooooo much for the wonderful idea!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,830,663 times
Wonderful! Thanks for posting to let us know. Which reminds me, we haven't been over that way in ages. Need to talk the hubby into a road trip!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeanbaby View Post
WOW! We absolutely loved Turner Falls. Everybody in the family was amazed and kept thanking me for asking everyone. We hope to spend a few days there next year!

Thanks sooooo much for the wonderful idea!!!!
Glad you liked it bluejeanbaby. It's really a neat place to spend a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma