U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 29,499 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone has moved from South Carolina to Oklahoma or vice versa and if they could compare and contrast the two states? I've lived in Shawnee, Oklahoma my whole life of 35 years and need a change... maybe it's my mid-life crisis? Any insight would be nice, especially if someone has lived in both states. Thanks a million.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,337,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieatheart View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has moved from South Carolina to Oklahoma or vice versa and if they could compare and contrast the two states? I've lived in Shawnee, Oklahoma my whole life of 35 years and need a change... maybe it's my mid-life crisis? Any insight would be nice, especially if someone has lived in both states. Thanks a million.
You might get some better answers here:
South Carolina Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks. I posted a question just like this one in the Charleston, South Carolina forum on June 27 and haven't heard word yet. But I'll keep trying. Thanks so much.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,404,757 times
Quote:
Thanks. I posted a question just like this one in the Charleston, South Carolina forum on June 27 and haven't heard word yet. But I'll keep trying. Thanks so much.
Most folks in other state forums don't seem to respond like the Okies do.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM

19,556 posts, read 20,894,874 times
We are hoping to move TO Oklahoma....but have never been there.

Lets see.

Coastal SC is hot.... and humid....and it doesn't cool down at night so first thing in the morning it is STILL hot and humid.

But the heat and humidity only last nine months of the year....

The other three months are alright.

Umm there are lots of bugs but mainly in the cooler months,except for the mosquitoes which are sprayed for by the county because we live in a wet area that are mosquito breeding grounds.

It is pretty overcrowded along the coast,we were 'discovered' back in the 1980's around here at least and have been steadily buiding more and more homes.

Prices for homes are quite high in my opinion but jobs aren't that well paying,we are basically a retirement area so service jobs are the norm or construction(although that has taken a hit lately)

Anything else you would like to know?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,404,757 times
I was in Myrtle Beach on an assignment with the US Army back in '81 (beautiful area, btw), but most of what I remember is getting eaten alive by sand fleas!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:41 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,069,139 times
I was stationed in Charleston in the 60's, I doubt I could help........

I would take Oz's word on it, though, for a neocon he is pretty truthful.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Wow, thanks so much oz in sc and synopsis. We have humidity in Oklahoma but we have four seasons too!!! Maybe I just need an in state relocate? Thanks for the help.

Oz in SC,
Why do you want to move to Oklahoma? Is SC that hot and humid to bring you to a plains state? We have ice storms and cold cold winters. The seasonal changes are pretty nice but where I live there is not much to see and we have those little critters called mosquitos too! And ticks! We haven't been hit as hard on the economic crunch though.

Is SC not a four season state? Not rollings hills, mountains, lakes and beaches? All the forums I read make it sound like a fairy tale. Mt. Pleasant sounds like a great place to live or is it a place just to visit? Summerville maybe?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM

19,556 posts, read 20,894,874 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks so much oz in sc and synopsis. We have humidity in Oklahoma but we have four seasons too!!! Maybe I just need an in state relocate? Thanks for the help.

Oz in SC,
Why do you want to move to Oklahoma? Is SC that hot and humid to bring you to a plains state? We have ice storms and cold cold winters. The seasonal changes are pretty nice but where I live there is not much to see and we have those little critters called mosquitos too! And ticks! We haven't been hit as hard on the economic crunch though.

Is SC not a four season state? Not rollings hills, mountains, lakes and beaches? All the forums I read make it sound like a fairy tale. Mt. Pleasant sounds like a great place to live or is it a place just to visit? Summerville maybe?

Thanks for the help.
We have been to some states that say they have humidity,but it is nothing like we live with for much of the year.

We are looking for a place with fewer people,more open spaces and land...that is not anywhere near where we live.We also can buy much more out there landwise than anywhere over here or neighboring states.

The winters WILL be troublesome,but at least it will be a change from what we have lived with for twenty years.

We have mosquitoes,no-see-ums,ticks,flies,and giant cockroaches we call 'palmetto bugs' so as not to scare the yankees...

Parts of SC have more seasonal changes than here,but we are on the coast.
Our area is called the lowcountry, and it is!!!!
The highest spot in our county is less than 30' above seal level.

Charleston is nice enough,it is $$$ though.

One thing that will be strange when we relocate is not being near the ocean,I have lived pretty much on the coast for most of my life.

Sorry if I paint a unflattering picture but that i show I see this place.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 14,763,724 times
I would certainly move from there with that low sea level as the sea level is rising or so they say.

no-see-ums are horrible, about as bad as mosquitoes, which we have plenty of here.

I didn't think our winters were that cold, but what do I know? Just don't seem that bad to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>