Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 PM

108 posts, read 543,081 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking if OKSunny spent a couple of years in NY city she would think all of Oklahoma was great.
I'm from Tulsa and think we have a great looking City. Here are a couple of city views that shows how great Tulsa looks and the people are very nice all so.

Tulsa skyline at night

Tulsa skyline looking east.

Tulsa skyline looking east form Tulsa river park

Tulsa looking north from riverside pedestrian bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv98 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but for folks who stumble upon it through google (as I did), I want to say that although lv_ramsey's post wasn't very diplomatically worded, I have to agree with him/her. I'm not originally from Oklahoma, but I've lived here for two years. These have been some of the least inspirational, least content years of my life.

Oklahoma is not progressive. Oklahoma is not open-minded. I almost laughed my booty off when I read that someone in here wrote, "Oklahoma has come a long way since 2000..." !!!! Since 9 years ago? Seriously? That's not something to brag about, folks!

I am not an in-your-face liberal. I respect and tolerate others' opinions. That's why I dislike Oklahoma. So long as you're Christian, straight, and raising a family, there's tons of room for diversity. If you're, say, single, gay and Jewish, well...don't expect to find a community here. I actually had to lie and say that I was engaged to my live-in boyfriend before I could get a job. I have an MBA from an Ivy League school and an impressive work history, but when asked why I moved here (my boyfriend's job), I told the truth...and oh no, that was a mistake! Once I said I was engaged, I had five job offers come through. Coincidence?

Look, I'm not trying to bash Oklahoma. I simply noticed that several folks requested lv_ramsey provide evidence for his/her opinion, and I wanted to share that s/he's not the only one with an unfavorable view of this state. I have found it terribly backward, painfully conservative (and conservative isn't a bad thing; not allowing other views to flourish as well IS a bad thing), narrow-minded and dreadfully self-preservationist to a fault. Oklahomans will defend the state until the cows come home, never admitting that maybe, just maybe, there is something to improve upon here.

Oklahoma can have some beautiful vistas, and the folks are friendly enough on the surface, but my experience has been terrible. When my boyfriend's job assigns him to another state, I will throw all my belongings in a box and skip happily out of here!
I'm from Oklahoma, and have lived other places. I have to agree with much of your post. I believe you when you say you lost out on a job due to the 'live-in' boyfriend, but I also think that probably is not very common in Tulsa or OKC.

I'm from here, and I'm a 52 y/o female and find that there are not that many like minded people for me to hang out with that are in my age range. Most of the people my age are either churchy, redneck, or yuppy. Not a lot of us inbetween all of that, LOL, but we do exist. Since Tulsa is homebase for me I have the advantage of knowing people over a lifetime, so they tolerate me. And, I tend to be able to tolerate some pretty right leaning people as long as they don't try to hang me from a tree. (I'm Joking!!!!)

I've recently stated a masters in environmental science and it was a shock for me to see just how conservative minded people (young adults even) are in Oklahoma.

I hold to the belief that we must find our niche and happiness wherever we hang our hat.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSunny View Post
..........................Tulsa is............full of crappy people. Stillwater I dont know much about.
Norman is great. OKC is gross.
there's obviously a lot you don't know about

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomakerjohn View Post
I'm thinking if OKSunny spent a couple of years in NY city she would think all of Oklahoma was great.
I'm from Tulsa and think we have a great looking City. Here are a couple of city views that shows how great Tulsa looks and the people are very nice all so.
Very nice new photos.

I haven't come across the super churchy people in Tulsa but some are super conservative. At least most people are willing to admit that the roads and bridges need to be fixed and that the best way to do that is through tax money. It's largely because they've been to other states where concrete doesn't fall off an overpass and take out the SUV driving in front of them. People in Tulsa do want better schools but they love their foo'ball more so they tend to send legislators who fund the athletic association but not the teachers, which are sole source funded by the state and not the district mill levys. Eventually, all the State of Oklahoma will have are kids who graduate from high school but need 3 years of JUCO before they can start a degree at OU or OSU. 5 for a private or out of state school. But man, that State Title run was awesome and our stadium gets a bigger and better scoreboard every year.

Sorry, I'm just really down on how much money goes in to athletics here and how shoddy the education is. More money does not necessarily equal better teaching but I think OK would see significant improvements if the teachers were paid a little better in K-6.

Last edited by flyingcat2k; 03-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma