U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM

4,114 posts, read 10,074,544 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Oklahoma, so I need your help. I really want to learn about Oklahoma in addition to scoping these threads!

I've been given the option of pursuing a retail management position in my company. My company will allow me to choose an assortment of metro areas to which I'd willingly relocate.

I am 22, male, single, no children, and a recent college grad. I'd like to live in a city with people a little friendlier, less "standoffish," and, well, not as, uhmmm...white trash and scroungy (in dress, attitude and behavior) overall than much of my state of Kentucky. (That's not a snooty remark, I promise. )

I'm a friendly guy, great with people, and have plans very soon (18 mos. or less) to pursue a Master's degree conjunctively while working. The job would start at $40-48K yearly. I'm sure I can live on that comfortably in Oklahoma.

I like local music and the occasional good hole-in-the-wall bar or restaurant, but I'm not a bar hopper, heavy-duty partier and the like. In fact, I'm kind of reserved until you get to know me.

Tulsa is the greenest city in Oklahoma, so I've heard, plus it has a nice array of museums, historic architecture, and cool neighborhoods. Tulsa also has a high crime rate, which concerns me. Stillwater and Norman are college towns, so obviously we're talking a high population of 20-somethings. Oklahoma City is apparently doing a lot to revitalize its downtown area and stimulate economic growth. So, which metro would you recommend and why?

Any and all help is appreciated! I am researching several states, but Texas and Oklahoma are my top two states of preference as of now.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-07-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM

8 posts, read 27,149 times
If you'd like to avoid white trash and scrounge, then i would say stick to north okc or south tulsa. Since it sounds like you have hobbies other than drinking, stillwater wouldnt be a very good fit. Add to that the fact that its basically a small country town that happens to have a college instead of a college town. Norman is a college town, but its so centered on the college that if you're not going to school there's no point in living there. Oklahoma city is in close enough proximity that if you happened to want to go there, you're usually only 20 minutes away. As far as okc goes, i would stick to the area between may avenue to the west, interstate 235 to the east and wilshire to the north and 14th street to the south. There's plenty of great neighborhoods in this area as well as restaurants and a close but not too close proximity to downtown/bricktown. Avoid south and northeast okc at all costs as well as del city/midwest city. There are some southsiders who argue the 73170 zip code is nice and the wealthiest in the state, but a quick comparison with 73116 reveals it to be terribly untrue. Plus there's always the stigma of coming from the southside, no matter what area it is.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM

28,117 posts, read 18,356,994 times
You would do fine in Stillwater if going to college. It has a local music scene on the strip. Stillwater is one of the more interesting towns in the state since it's one of the fastest growing. And at the same time you would be lving equidistant from Oklahoma City and Tulsa to get away.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 PM

266 posts, read 923,562 times
I think you would do well in Stillwater or OKC.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM

702 posts, read 2,366,585 times
Tulsa or Stillwater, Stillwater is definitely a "college town"! Not sure where people keep coming up with the idea of Tulsa and all this crime? It's not a crime laden city whatsoever. If you think Tulsa has alot of crime, I suggest you go live in Memphis! You'd love Tulsa, alot of culture, plus it's somewhat of a college town having U. of Tulsa smack in the center of town. It's also one of the best private small colleges you could attend.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks to all for your answers so far, they've been very helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksarthur View Post
If you'd like to avoid white trash and scrounge, then i would say stick to north okc or south tulsa. Since it sounds like you have hobbies other than drinking, stillwater wouldnt be a very good fit.

...As far as okc goes, i would stick to the area between may avenue to the west, interstate 235 to the east and wilshire to the north and 14th street to the south. There's plenty of great neighborhoods in this area as well as restaurants and a close but not too close proximity to downtown/bricktown. Avoid south and northeast okc at all costs as well as del city/midwest city.
What exactly do OKC and Tulsa have to offer in terms of arts and culture--live concerts, art museums, and the like?

Which city/ies among the four, in every body's opinions, fares better in terms of urban density/feel, affordability, availability of single women, and general friendliness of the people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You would do fine in Stillwater if going to college. It has a local music scene on the strip. Stillwater is one of the more interesting towns in the state since it's one of the fastest growing. And at the same time you would be lving equidistant from Oklahoma City and Tulsa to get away.
How big is Stillwater, anyway? Like 40,000 people or something?

Oh, do you know anything about Eskimo Joe's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Tulsa or Stillwater, Stillwater is definitely a "college town"! Not sure where people keep coming up with the idea of Tulsa and all this crime? It's not a crime laden city whatsoever.

...You'd love Tulsa, alot of culture, plus it's somewhat of a college town having U. of Tulsa smack in the center of town. It's also one of the best private small colleges you could attend.
UT is a good school, I've looked into it.

How did Tulsa get its varied and beautiful architecture (minus that one ugly circular brown building downtown?) I've been looking at some of the city's pics on its forum. Looks like a very green city; it looks a lot like Kentucky, actually.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-08-2008 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM

687 posts, read 2,224,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

What exactly do OKC and Tulsa have to offer in terms of arts and culture--live concerts, art museums, and the like?

Which city/ies among the four, in every body's opinions, fares better in terms of urban density/feel, affordability, availability of single women, and general friendliness of the people?

How did Tulsa get its varied and beautiful architecture (minus that one ugly circular brown building downtown?) I've been looking at some of the city's pics on its forum. Looks like a very green city; it looks a lot like Kentucky, actually.
Tulsa has two arts museums that I can rattle off the top of my head:

Philbrook Museum of Art Philbrook.org
Gilcrease Museum http://www.gilcrease.org (site appears to be offline right now)

Live concerts will definitely be picking up here, but check venues like the Brady Theater Brady Theater and the soon-to-open BOK Center BOK Center

As far as urban density, that will be a hands down 'Tulsa', simply because Tulsa is about 190 sq miles, and OKC is 640. Population density is much higher in the Tulsa area just based on geography. Tulsa's city population is 390000; OKC is about 520000. I've found the friendliness of the people here second to none.

Stillwater's population is right around 45000.

I've been to Eskimo Joes. I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers here, but I can sum it up in one word: overrated.

As far as the varied architecture of Tulsa, that happened because of the oil boom early in the 20th century. A lot of art deco influences.

Tulsa is located in the heart of Oklahoma's 'Green Country', which is generally an area of the state with an abundance of trees and softly rolling hills along the western part of the Ozarks. This gives us our unique geography. There are several decents sized 'hills', that are called mountains (Turkey Mountain) that provide great views of the city.

Keep in mind I was born and raised in Tulsa, so my opinion might be considered by some as to be biased.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

Gilcrease Museum http://www.gilcrease.org (site appears to be offline right now)

Live concerts will definitely be picking up here, but check venues like the Brady Theater Brady Theater and the soon-to-open BOK Center BOK Center

As far as urban density, that will be a hands down 'Tulsa', simply because Tulsa is about 190 sq miles, and OKC is 640. Population density is much higher in the Tulsa area just based on geography. Tulsa's city population is 390000; OKC is about 520000. I've found the friendliness of the people here second to none.

Stillwater's population is right around 45000.

I've been to Eskimo Joes. I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers here, but I can sum it up in one word: overrated.

As far as the varied architecture of Tulsa, that happened because of the oil boom early in the 20th century. A lot of art deco influences.

Tulsa is located in the heart of Oklahoma's 'Green Country', which is generally an area of the state with an abundance of trees and softly rolling hills along the western part of the Ozarks. This gives us our unique geography. There are several decents sized 'hills', that are called mountains (Turkey Mountain) that provide great views of the city.

Keep in mind I was born and raised in Tulsa, so my opinion might be considered by some as to be biased.
You forgot about the Cains Ballroom - national landmark!
Cains Ballroom

Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

The main reason Tulsa has it's varied architecture is from the oil boom back in the teens and 20's. Tulsa's oil discovery in Glenpool almost 100 years ago brought so much wealth into this town the oil barons had more money than they knew what to do with. Because of this Tulsa became known as the Black Wall Street. If you want to read about this history of Tulsa may I suggest you read "The Burning", excellent book!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

According to the Tulsa C&VB's website, the Gilcrease is the world's largest collection of artifacts related to the American West.

What info can anybody give me pertaining to:
  • Tulsa Air & Space Museum,
  • Blue Dome District,
  • Brookside, or any other entertainment districts for 20-somethings,
  • Greenwood District (formerly the "Black Wall Street"-?), and
  • Local parks--there's apparently a beautiful park on the river downtown, how about any opportunities for hiking?
The Tulsa C&VB's website has been a great source of info, but I also figure I can get some great info from the locals here on C-D!

Quote:
As far as urban density, that will be a hands down 'Tulsa', simply because Tulsa is about 190 sq miles, and OKC is 640. Population density is much higher in the Tulsa area just based on geography.
As much I figured.

Quote:
My dad has taken a couple of trips to Tulsa and remarked on the area's greenery. It seems as if the city is comprised of gently rolling hills and some of the eastern outskirts have higher hills.

He also remarked about the sign on the highway, which went something like "Welcome to Tulsa, the Friendliest Large City in the World." Does anybody know what I'm talking about? He did say the folks actually were very friendly, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
The main reason Tulsa has it's varied architecture is from the oil boom back in the teens and 20's. Tulsa's oil discovery in Glenpool almost 100 years ago brought so much wealth into this town the oil barons had more money than they knew what to do with. Because of this Tulsa became known as the Black Wall Street. If you want to read about this history of Tulsa may I suggest you read "The Burning", excellent book!
Great to know, thanks!

I will also be doing extensive research on OKC in the days to come, so I won't be leaving that city dry and I will have some questions about that place, too.

Thanks for everything so far! You Oklahomans have been more helpful than the folks in any other forum. I like what I see.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-08-2008 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma