Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 20,083 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...just wanted to receive any info on Le Flore County that anyone might be willing to share. I just purchased a small house on 5 acres about 10 miles south of Heavener in Hodgen off of Hwy 59, and I was thinking on moving to that area in about 7 to 10 years (early retirement). I have a small daughter (4 years old) and was wandering if the school system is OK. I currently leave in Bay Area CA, and this place sucks (not good for small children). How are the people in OK? Job Market? Food?...I heard that region of OK is beautiful! I currently have the house leased to someone, but in six months I want to use the house as a vacation home (will my property be safe?). I did some research, and I was able to buy the house really cheap (for my current income level in CA), and I want a safer place for kids (I will try to have another). We are Romanian of origin (I've been in the states for over 25 years though, but my wife has only been here for 6 years), so we have an accent...will that create problems? Thank you much for any response received!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:21 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Wow, what a change! From the Bay area to the Ouachita Mountains.. The accent won't create any problems at all. Oklahomans are a very accepting bunch, whether it be from a different race or culture.

I can't speak for the school quality or job market though. Go to GreatSchools.net and look up the school your child will be attending (Hodgen?). It should be safe and you are correct, the area is beautiful. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM

21 posts, read 66,708 times
Hello, I am from that area, I have lived there most of my life. The schools are pretty good, Hodgen schools are small and it is a good school, it only goes to the eigth grade. Heavener schools are ok. Glad to have you bertneru. It is a good place to raise your kids.

I have a house comming up for sale here pretty soon, it's a brick home very nice, it has about 1800 sq. feet of living space all together it is about 2000 sq, ft.. It has a 2 car garage on it, it is in a nice area, that is like its own community, but it is right as you are leaving Heavener, has a fireplace, 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bath, huge deck, all new carpet, about 900 sq. ft. of new ceramic tile, new paint, kitchen has been completely remodeled, has new roof, about an acre in back with a huge chainlinked fenced in backyard. Lots of trees. We have bought land else where because we have alot of animals now, so we are going to sell this and move out in the boondocks so to say. If you know of anyone that would like to buy, send them this way. We don't want to leave but it is either that or sale our horses, and I can't part with them.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Hodgen is at the north edge of the mountains. You are on the fringe of the most beautiful place in Oklahoma and the central US.

Heavener is a poor town that is getting more hispanics who work in the chicken rendering plants. I think Hodgen goes to eighth grade only. South of you is nothing but mountains.

Hodgen has a quick store called TotaPoke. Heavener still has a small independent grocery store or two. You are about a half hour from Poteau and Mena Ark. Both have superwalmarts and some other things. You are about 70 minutes from Ft. Smith which is the hub of that area.

It really is pretty there but it is a bit isolated. I tried living in Poteau and just couldn't do it but I miss the scenery to this day.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 PM

49 posts, read 173,428 times
Eddie has it right, Heavener is loaded with Hispanics and they are having problems with the Hispanic gangs there too. I know a few Officers that work that area and they tell me it's getting worse year after year.

Now as far as the scenery you can't hardly beat it, The runestone is very cool to visit and the view from there is beautiful.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM

21 posts, read 66,708 times
I have live here all my life and it may be small, but at least you don't have to worry about someone snatching your kids. As for gangs there aren't any to my knowledge, yes there are hispainics, but they are everywhere. There are good and bad in every race. I would not have lived here all these years if it weren't safe, many generations of my family have lived here, and they still do, they lived here before Heavener became a town.

If anyone gets the chance to come here you will not want to leave its is beautiful. We have Lakes that aren't far off, Wister Lake is only about 7 miles away, good fishing and camping. Then we have Cedar Lake which is about a 20 minute drive through beautiful mountains, it has an equestrian trail and camp site, people come from as far as New York to ride their horses and camp out. And it has regular campsites and a beach a place to swim too.

There is always something going on for families to do, they have trails rides, we have what we call play days, for families, its like a rodeo for anyone who wants to participate, it starts around March every year. We also have what is called the Runestone, where the Vikings came through, it is really interesting, there is a huge rock with carvings made by a Viking.

This place is a good place for anyone that wants to raise their kids or retire, there are people moving in here from out west, and they seem to like it. People are very nice and they will show you lots of hospitality. They will come and greet you and make you feel right at home. I always do.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,889 times
i grew up in heavener oklahoma. it was a nice town 20 years ago. since the chicken plant went in it has been run over by hispanics. no longer can kids ride their bikes to town. or play at the school grounds. the drugs {meth} has taken over are small town. the mayor and police do nothing be turn their heads the other direction. it seems to me that they feel like they are making o.k. foods- chicken plant mad.!!!! and lose the money that brings to the town...i thought our lil town was alot better place before the plant came to town...and as far as your property being safe...think again....dannymac

Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertneru View Post
Hello everyone...just wanted to receive any info on Le Flore County that anyone might be willing to share. I just purchased a small house on 5 acres about 10 miles south of Heavener in Hodgen off of Hwy 59, and I was thinking on moving to that area in about 7 to 10 years (early retirement). I have a small daughter (4 years old) and was wandering if the school system is OK. I currently leave in Bay Area CA, and this place sucks (not good for small children). How are the people in OK? Job Market? Food?...I heard that region of OK is beautiful! I currently have the house leased to someone, but in six months I want to use the house as a vacation home (will my property be safe?). I did some research, and I was able to buy the house really cheap (for my current income level in CA), and I want a safer place for kids (I will try to have another). We are Romanian of origin (I've been in the states for over 25 years though, but my wife has only been here for 6 years),
Quote:
so we have an accent...
will that create problems? Thank you much for any response received!
You don't have an accent.........we do.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
I don't live there/haven't been there, but one thing I can say for sure. If you've gotten used to West Coast fusion cooking, you won't find most of the ingredients in rural OK. Maybe in Tulsa or OKC, but that would be it. I like fusion cooking, but giving it up is a small price to pay for what I gained by moving here. And a lot of the things can be ordered on line, if you want them badly enough.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I don't live there/haven't been there, but one thing I can say for sure. If you've gotten used to West Coast fusion cooking, you won't find most of the ingredients in rural OK. Maybe in Tulsa or OKC, but that would be it. I like fusion cooking, but giving it up is a small price to pay for what I gained by moving here. And a lot of the things can be ordered on line, if you want them badly enough.

I thought fusion cooking was all about making ethnic recipes using local ingredients kari? If that's the case, couldn't you make some bass sushi?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma