Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 PM

19 posts, read 110,262 times

Advertisements

Maybe, someone has been watching too many movies....

Definately DON"T read "The Curse of Yigg", by H.P. Lovecraft.
It is set in the Guthrie area, and will really make you snake paranoid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Cool steve-o is correct

A lot of people have a big misconception about rattlesnakes . They're not out to hunt down humans or other large animals, except mice and anything else that suites their fancy. (Food that is). Just give them their distance, especially during the shedding season. They do have a bad habit of striking quiker without warning, do to fact they are temporarily blinded.
But, as for the rattlesnake round-up. When I was stationed at Ft. Sills Okla they had an annual rattlesnake round-up at Cash Okla. next to Sills. Whether they still hold it or not is beyond me, its been 20 years since I was last there. But I do remember having some of the best snake burgers and snake stew in my life, yummy !!! They also held live demonstrations on snake milking, handling and what to do incase of bad encounter with a rattler. And the local Indian Tribes would show their talents on snake charming as well, you know Billy Jack stuff. Now what time of the year it is? I can't remember, maybe call the local chamber of commerce.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 AM

208 posts, read 872,089 times
Default Cats and snakes

We plan to buy acreage-it would be so nice to go outside and not hear somebody's cell phone ringing or response.What besides guineas eat snakes? The guineas I remember are very noisy!! How about ducks/my husband wants a couple and I am NOT going to tell him how noisy they can be until he names them.What preys on cottonmouths?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Guineas and cats

I don't know about ducks, but guineas and cats are probably the best you could do to control snakes and other critters.

We live northeast of Stillwater and have problems with scorpions, ticks, black widows, and some copperheads. Cats help control the rattlesnakes and scorpions and guineas keep the ticks under control.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,680 times
Talking Oooooo! Dat is a good un!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I have read that snakes have very poor eyesight. If this is true, how do so many of them manage to get through law school?
My Dad was a lawyer but I do enjoy good lawyer jokes. Your post made my day. Of course, there is a bit of truth in all humor, eh?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
but if you live in town and have ticks and get a few guinea hens would that be allowed and would they even stay in your yard with only a 4 foot fence?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:25 AM

i was joking about mosquitoes being as big as robins and had never heard of a mosquito hawk so looked it up. i love crane flies and dragonflies which is what they call a mosquito hawk.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM

BudinAk,

"That is one of the things I like about Alaska: NO snakes...not a one. You can walk throught the grass and woods without a care. And the worst that can happen by the water is you might fall in. Winters are TOO long and TOO cold though...seems like no matter where you go in this world, you can't win...there will always be something bad about the place..."

That has been my complaint in life too. Maybe that is why so many people are looking forward to heaven.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,211 times
Actually rattlesnakes try not to go thru populated areas, and on farms they like to stick to staying underneath old equipment and things that haven't been moved in a while. Rattlesnakes shouldn't be the the main worry actually, There are Cotton mouths and Copperheads(Which WILL chase you if you come to close) around also. Just don't leave things lying around for them to hide under as they like the damp ground beneath such things and they also use it for dens. A rattlesnake would rather run from you then even bother to bite you though they will if provoked or stepped on. I've been dealing in snakes, venomous and non for a few years now and so has my fiance though his experience is far more than mine as he's 15 years older, lol. But don't let snakes scare you out of a home, just keep the grass cut and trash off the ground. As far as snake killing, there are also roadrunners here that kill snakes, and there are some dog breeds that are great for hunting and killing snakes. Other critters that kill snakes are the mongoose and ferret. Anyway, there are more than snakes out in the country here, we also have scorpions and tarantulas. But nothing to actually fear, just respect and keep a distance.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideEmCowgirl View Post
Actually rattlesnakes try not to go thru populated areas, and on farms they like to stick to staying underneath old equipment and things that haven't been moved in a while. Rattlesnakes shouldn't be the the main worry actually, There are Cotton mouths and Copperheads(Which WILL chase you if you come to close) around also. Just don't leave things lying around for them to hide under as they like the damp ground beneath such things and they also use it for dens. A rattlesnake would rather run from you then even bother to bite you though they will if provoked or stepped on. I've been dealing in snakes, venomous and non for a few years now and so has my fiance though his experience is far more than mine as he's 15 years older, lol. But don't let snakes scare you out of a home, just keep the grass cut and trash off the ground. As far as snake killing, there are also roadrunners here that kill snakes, and there are some dog breeds that are great for hunting and killing snakes. Other critters that kill snakes are the mongoose and ferret. Anyway, there are more than snakes out in the country here, we also have scorpions and tarantulas. But nothing to actually fear, just respect and keep a distance.
Even here in NM we have roadrunners who keep the rattelsnake population under control. tanantulas won't hurt anyone, they are just really ugly; I am scared of scorpions we I think whereever we decide to live (what city) living in town might be for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma