Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 43,761 times

Advertisements

Greetings all -

I know you've been asked these questions 1000 different ways, but I hope that I can get some more insight on what to do. I am in the final rounds of negotiations to take a job with a company based in Stillwater, but with a major office in OKC - so I have a choice of where to live.

A little background on us: I was raised several different west TX and panhandle TX towns, ranging from very small (10k people) to Amarillo. I went to high school in Amarillo and college in Denton, TX. My wife was born/raised just outside of Amarillo and went to college with me. We now have three kids from 6 years down to 1.

Now, here's where is gets tough....some more info on us to help you make some recommendations:

1. We love the country life and small towns, but also enjoy things that a city offers (food, opportunity, diversity, etc). I would love it if I could get great sushi, killer bbq, watch an independant movie, go see an unsigned band live and sit on my porch in the country....all in one day!

2. We are both politically liberal (yip, damn Democrats), but have always lived in the reddest of red states (Texas and Utah). If OKC or Stillwater leans closer to 'center', we'd like to know that in advance. Because of where we have lived in the past, this is not a 'deal-breaker'...but it would be nice to know the environment between the two areas. As a side note, please do not let this point become the point of the thread and center of debate...I know there are some very divisive people that rise to the surface when you bring up politics, we are not those people. I just want as much info as possible.

3. I would really love to live close enough to work that I could ride a bike in all but the worst weather (and Im pretty hardy). If either city is more bike friendly, let me know. Any 'insider' info on mass transit availability would help as well.

4. As stated, three kids all entering school age. Keep that in mind.

5. We are very outdoor-sy. Biking, camping, boating, bird-hunting, fishing, etc should play a part. Also, parks and in-town opportunities should be considered.

6. We arent very interested in suburban living (ie. most of Edmond, as I understand it)....been there, done that. If we live in OKC, we'd most likely live close to downtown (if possible). If Stillwater, we could either live in town or out in the 'stix'. I just do not want the typical suburb. Housing costs should be in from $150-195k for a 3-4 bedroom home. Also, feel free to throw out real estate info where applicable or PM me with recommended agents.

Im sure there is more info that could be available, but that would get you all started. Thank you in advance for any info. I will be coming out to both OKC and Stillwater over the Aug 22 weekend, so throw out a lot of info for me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:02 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP_MoveSoon View Post

1. We love the country life and small towns, but also enjoy things that a city offers (food, opportunity, diversity, etc). I would love it if I could get great sushi, killer bbq, watch an independant movie, go see an unsigned band live and sit on my porch in the country....all in one day!
Both Stillwater and OKC have good restaurants. OKC and Tulsa (45 minutes east of Stillwater) has Indy film theaters. The Red Dirt genre centered around Stillwater....the music scene there is awesome. Don't know about the sushi bars...I am sure there are some somewhere, but I know there are bait shops around that might fill in.........
Quote:
2. We are both politically liberal (yip, damn Democrats), but have always lived in the reddest of red states (Texas and Utah). If OKC or Stillwater leans closer to 'center', we'd like to know that in advance. Because of where we have lived in the past, this is not a 'deal-breaker'...but it would be nice to know the environment between the two areas. As a side note, please do not let this point become the point of the thread and center of debate...I know there are some very divisive people that rise to the surface when you bring up politics, we are not those people. I just want as much info as possible.
Rural Oklahoma are typically conservative Democrats. Tulsa is predominately Republican.
Quote:
3. I would really love to live close enough to work that I could ride a bike in all but the worst weather (and Im pretty hardy). If either city is more bike friendly, let me know. Any 'insider' info on mass transit availability would help as well.
I see a lot of bikes in Stillwater, not so much in OKC. Also, Stillwater can be traversed in short time (due to it's size) more than OKC....
Quote:
4. As stated, three kids all entering school age. Keep that in mind.
Can't beat a college town for education
Quote:
5. We are very outdoor-sy. Biking, camping, boating, bird-hunting, fishing, etc should play a part. Also, parks and in-town opportunities should be considered.
Not sure about the parks and in-town opportunities, but there are lakes in the region, camping and boating......is your bird hunting upland or waterfowl? Either way, there is a lot of opportunity. If you have a good retriever, he can get a good workout on either the Cimarron (south of Stillwater) or the Canadian (south of OKC) or at ay of the lakes around. Upland consists of pheasant (lots and lots of wheat fields) and quail (lots of creek bottoms and woodlands).
Quote:
6. We arent very interested in suburban living (ie. most of Edmond, as I understand it)....been there, done that. If we live in OKC, we'd most likely live close to downtown (if possible). If Stillwater, we could either live in town or out in the 'stix'. I just do not want the typical suburb. Housing costs should be in from $150-195k for a 3-4 bedroom home.
That price range will get you a really nice home in Perkins, or in a rural community just outside of Stillwater. It will get a nice subdivision home in OKC and it's suburbs....or will get you a nice rural home if you don't mind driving 45 minutes to commute.
Quote:
Also, feel free to throw out real estate info where applicable or PM me with recommended agents.
Personally, I would select Stillwater over OKC.....anything that Stilwater doesn't have that OKC does, can be found in Tulsa.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Default thanks...

Hey Goodpasture....thanks or all the info. Thats exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for.

I love the Red Dirt genre....alt-country overall is my music of choice for the past 5-8 years, so I'd fit right in!

Although we dont hit restaurants everyday (a few times a month, typically), I just want to make sure there are independant, local options....I cant do Chilis/Applebees/Fridays/etc everytime.

I like the idea of conservative democrats. My wife is a bit more liberal than me, but Id describe myself as an old-south democrat...maybe a bit of the Blue-Dog in me.

Im an upland bird kinda guy....nothing better than a day of quail, nothing. Sounds great that there are options around Stillwater.

I have been leaning toward Stillwater and your answers help that decision. Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
It's an unusually good and exciting time now to come to Stillwater to live, because it's really been coming out of the stagnation it was in during the 1990s. Construction both on and off OSU campus has been interesting. Stillwater will soon have a new 12 screen theater in addition to the 10 screen one. I think about the only place that shows indie films in Stillwater is in the OSU Student Union Theater.

Eskimo Joe's has live music every weekend. And two or three bars on the strip, such as Willie's does, too.

For restaurants, it helps to love Mexican food because that kind of restaurant that has really been booming in Stillwater. The newest one, Palimino's is still under construction. There's some local options like Mom's and Shortcakes. They're cheap. Freddie Paul's and Aggie's not so cheap. And there's a locally run Thai restaurant.

The upper part of your price range could probably buy you a 2000 sq. ft. house in Stillwater.

Boomer Lake Park is great. It's been a huge hit with the public ever since a wide sidewalk was built around it.

Politics wise Stillwater barely leans Democrat. (I think OKC and that other major college town, Norman go toward Republican.) The Stillwater area state senate race will be interesting to watch to see if the senate seat remains Democrat. The candidates help make the race interesting. It's a judge, a Democrat vs. an elderly former OSU president the Republican. I'm voting for the judge since he's been around administering law for so long, he ought to be better qualified to fix state law and leave it alone, if it doesn't need fixing.

Election results in Stillwater pretty much mirror what happened with the rest of Oklahoma. In other words, Gov. Henry barely won his first election. The votes played out the same way in Stillwater.

Stillwater people generally tune to the Oklahoma City media. However, many people like Tulsa's KRMG AM to get day time talk radio with a strong signal.

IF you, besides quail, want to get into hunting deer and turkey, the Stillwater area has them.

Below are pictures of Boomer Lake Park, just the southwest side of it and Eskimo Joe's. Both snapped by me.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-11-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,341,033 times
I love Stillwater because it is easy to get around and has lots of stuff to do. My daughter lives in Stillwater with her husand after graduating from OSU. Dissapointed in hearing it is Democract being that everyone I know in that town and there is lots is not but at this point in life I am not sure I care anymore.

It is an hour drive to OKC which I visit once in awhile Bricktown and the Brewery there is neat.

I live in Eastern OK which has nothing to offer so when I visit my daughters in Stillwater I get to go to all the neat places.

I would also think Stillwater would be cheaper to live. Both my daughters bought nice large homes at a very reasonable price in my book in Stillwater. My younger daughter an RN has friends working in hospitals in OKC and their rent is way higher than her house payment. If that helps!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Tulsa actually has more 'closet democrats' than one would originally think. I consider myself a slightly left-leaning independent and probably closer to a libertarian, but there really aren't that many 'kool aid drinking' republicans that I know here. Mostly, people vote republican because they don't know any better or the democrats don't make their case.

I think Tulsa is a little more liberal than you think. We do have a Democrat for a Mayor...

Old 08-15-2008, 12:25 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
Tulsa actually has more 'closet democrats' than one would originally think. I consider myself a slightly left-leaning independent and probably closer to a libertarian, but there really aren't that many 'kool aid drinking' republicans that I know here. Mostly, people vote republican because they don't know any better or the democrats don't make their case.

I think Tulsa is a little more liberal than you think. We do have a Democrat for a Mayor...
Norman is liberal and so is OKC when compared to Stillwater. Diversity plays a big role. Bohemians/hippies are everywhere in Norman. OKC passes taxes to improve the quality of life constantly, which would imply liberal ideals. I have no clue how you come to an opinion that Norman is conservative. I know what cheerleading is like, but come on....Stillwater has cowboys and OU/Norman has one of the finest art museums in the country for a university!! When you have a research U in the arts it usually will draw in a liberal environment. OSU/Stillwater doesnt even offer a MFA degree and I def dont remember a real museum after 3 yrs of living there.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:54 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I recently took a job in Northern OK, and was leaning on the fence about living there. Then I visited Stillwater and decided to take the position as I found a nice place to live. Its big enough to have most amenities a big city has...and its only an hour to OKC or Tulsa.

City has two sushi bar/restaurants, not including the Thai place, and seems to have a decent variety of places to eat. Having a major University in town helps that out.

You can get new homes for less than $100/ft2, and the town is pretty clean. Nice lake in the middle with a 3 mile paved bike/job path around it. Does not seem as effected by recent economic downturn as there are multiple large employers.

The town seems to be growing unlike many other areas. Worth a visit if your going to check out OKC.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone for their input.

Im glad it didnt turn completely into political debate! Its funny: I currently live in Utah, the reddest of the red states and anywhere will be a step towards the politically progressive after living here, but its interesting to hear other's comments on their area.

Its also great to hear there is sushi! Thanks again and feel free to keep commenting, I enjoy the insider's take on the area.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I apologize if this is stereotyping someone from Utah, but there is a fair LDS presence in Stillwater & North central OK. I am not one, but know of several who are. Not sure if that was something you were interested (or not) in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma