Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 PM

208 posts, read 872,042 times

Advertisements

I keep investigating information on towns in Oklahoma and finding high crime rates in small towns.I know there can be a ton of factors (depressed economy,drugs,under financed police,etc.) contributing but does looking at the type of crime tell me anything?Just cause I have the information doesn't mean I know what to do with it.Anybody want to give a lecture on interperting statistics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
I guess it depends on the source, what types of crime, and how they are reported. I'm from Oklahoma (now living in Texas), and my employer is in Oklahoma so I travel there frequently on business aside from visiting my relatives. I don't ever feel insecure or threatened. I'm curious as to where you would get decent or accurate crime statistics on small towns in Oklahoma, or anywhere for that matter. I'm not being obstinate, just curious.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM

208 posts, read 872,042 times
Talking I'm afraid to say!!!

On City-Data Forum home page you can go to the state,the city,and find the crime statistics for most cities(even the little ones)in the detailed information about the city.They are broken down into type and total against the national average.I look at these stats whenever I research a small town.Try looking at Poteau and Vian Oklahoma.I believe each area has distinctly differant types of crime.I'm not sure I understand what I am looking at or what it signifies about an area.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:42 PM

One thing that I find a little deceptive about crime rates is (I think) they base them on crimes *reported.* So, in areas like burglary and property theft it could be the people are more diligent about reporting such crimes to the police, whereas in areas it is indeed more prevalent residents just throw up their hands and do nothing. I'm not saying this is the case, but it could be so. Now, rapes and murders are a different story, those will tend to be reported or found out by the police by the sheer nature of their violence.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would think violent crimes (rapes and murders) are more of the types that I would focus on when deciding upon an area.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM

You have a point about Poteau. Although murder and rape are low, the assaults and thefts are off the board. I would talk with the local police dept. and find out more. My guess would be that they have meth problems,which are becoming a plague upon small towns in Oklahoma and elsewhere in rural america. Alot of it happens because of poverty in these small towns, and perhaps teens not having alot to do (in their opinion). When I was a kid we found fun in everything, from making dams on creeks to just hanging out and skipping rocks across a lake or pond. Time have indeed changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: