Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM

44 posts, read 142,573 times

Advertisements

I am traveling through Oklahoma This Weekend and am Keep watching the weather and the hurricane or whats left of it is suppose to go through Oklahoma. I wanted to ask local residents should I travel or stay at my hotel? Is it really going to be that bad do you think ? I am concerned about tornadoes and Flooding more than wind damage?
Just wondering
Thank you

Last edited by Josh1985; 09-11-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
Flooding shouldnt be of much concern if you stay on the interstates though there may be some spots of standing water it shouldnt have the entire road shut down.. I believe wind would be a bigger concern depending on the profile of your vehicle. Larger vehicles can/will be blown over.. Tornados are a legitimate concern but not something I would deter a trip over.. Just keep your radio tuned to a local station and keep a eye on the sky.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
uhhhhh......aren't tornadoes wind?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Hi Josh! You are wise to keep a close eye on things.... This is a quote from one of our local weather guys that I received in an email.

Quote:
Then, the remnants of Hurricane Ike could cause some major issues across Texoma. It is very difficult to tell you exactly where the remnant low pressure will track - there's just not much skill in doing that with landfalling hurricanes and they sometimes can throw a bunch of surprises at you. IF the current track holds true, we're likely to see a good bit of rain (on top of what will have already fallen) Saturday night through Sunday. Some models have us receiving at least 3-6 inches of rain. That could lead to some widespread flooding issues, especially since the ground is becoming saturated in a hurry. The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Watch through Sunday morning.
Even the "Pros" can't say for certain.

Which part of OK will you be driving through? As long as you stay on the major highways and pay close attention to the warning signs you should be alright. If the highway is shut down do NOT try to take side-roads to get around it. Flash-flooding can happen quickly... it is better to wait a few hours until the water levels go down. (And they usually go down pretty fast )

I can send you a couple of links showing what MY area looked like when Hurricane Erin blew through last year... That one washed cars down the highway like toys.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
The tracking map shows it being more or less in the eastern part of Oklahoma, and since most tornadoes are spawned on the eastern side of a hurricane (where there is MUCH more wind and turbulence), I seriously doubt that you'll have any problems whatsoever.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200809.gif (broken link)

BTW, here is a VERY interesting hurricane tracking website. A must see! Fiddle around with all of the overlays and tell me it's not one of the neatest sites you'll ever see.

Track Hurricane Ike / Stormpulse / Hurricane tracking, mapping

Last edited by Synopsis; 09-12-2008 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
It'll be quite an event, even in Oklahoma. It's going to keep its strength as a hurricane in East Texas, downgrading to tropical depression status after the Red River. And it's also expected to move very quickly. So far, Ike's reach with wind has been amazing.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It'll be quite an event, even in Oklahoma. It's going to keep its strength as a hurricane in East Texas, downgrading to tropical depression status after the Red River. And it's also expected to move very quickly. So far, Ike's reach with wind has been amazing.
Hey Case44, haven't heard from you in a while. Where you been keeping yourself?

Old 09-14-2008, 01:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Stillwater at best got around .50 from Hurricane Ike. I bet Tulsa and other more easterly areas got a lot more. We mostly dodged that other intense weather system that drenched much of northern and northwestern Oklahoma as well.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:04 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
I checked the weather last night before I went to bed, and we were supposed to have a 90% chance of rain and t-storms today. What we got was a brief hard rain yesterday afternoon, and today is sunny, cooler, and clear. Same thing that happened with Gustav.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I checked the weather last night before I went to bed, and we were supposed to have a 90% chance of rain and t-storms today. What we got was a brief hard rain yesterday afternoon, and today is sunny, cooler, and clear. Same thing that happened with Gustav.
My rain gauge had about 1.70 in from the storm. Never really any heavy rain, just steady moderate rain almost all afternoon on Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma