Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 AM

13 posts, read 44,118 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are from the UK and are coming to the US on a house hunting expedition. We were planning on being in the Norman area on October 31. Firstly, is something going on in Norman that weekend as I am having a difficult time finding somewhere to stay? Secondly . . . if we do find a place to stop, we have a 9 year old daughter and would hate for her to miss out on Halloween. Is there somewhere safe to take her trick-or-treating or some other Halloween festivities? Finally . . . if there are no rooms that weekend in Norman, can anyone suggest anywhere near by to stay? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
The 31st is a Friday. Saturday, OU is hosting Nebraska. Rooms were sold out last year. Fortunately there are a lot of hotels in Moore, OKC, etc that won't be full. I will leave it to the locals there to suggest one. I never stay in OKC....it's too close to home.

Overall EVERY neighborhood in Norman is going to be pretty safe, and your daughter can trick or treat just about anywhere. For more formal activities, just about any church will be providing alternatives and they almost always welcome guests with open arms......the large mainstream churches will have more activities for the public.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the info! Moore was also booked up. We've found places in Chickasha and Shawnee. Is either of those any better than the other as far as taking our daughter around on Halloween? Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zips666 View Post
Thanks for the info! Moore was also booked up. We've found places in Chickasha and Shawnee. Is either of those any better than the other as far as taking our daughter around on Halloween? Thanks!
I'm not familiar with Chickasha or Shawnee, but if you travel about 20 minutes west from downtown OKC on Rt. 40, you will find a hotel in either Yukon or Mustang (I live in Mustang). Any one of the neighborhoods in either town would be good for your daughter. Also, a lot of the churches in Mustang have events going on that night. Also, one of my co-workers said both the zoo and malls have things going on as well. Welcome!

Mustang and Yukon are about 20-30 minutes from Norman -- depending on how you go, and how close to the game you're travelling. LOL

If you want more info, just dm me.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zips666 View Post
Chickasha and Shawnee are about 35-45 minutes from Norman...to far IMO. I would suggest just staying in OKC. It's only a 20 minute trip down I-35 to get to Norman.

I grew up in Norman and there will be many opportunities on Halloween for your daughter. The churches are a great idea, which have already been suggested. First Baptist Norman (Comanche Ave. and University Ave.) have a thing called "Funny Face"....it's a lot of fun....all sorts of games and bounce houses, food, etc. Another alternative is just finding one of the nicer neighborhoods in Norman (Brookhaven and the Trails come to mind) and allow your daughter to go door-to-door. If none of those sound good, I think Sooner Fashion Mall (right off of the highway in Norman) also has activities, games, and candy of course for children on Halloween.

Have a great trip and I hope you enjoy Oklahoma! Blessings.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Well everyone, we are back from our trip. Thanks to everyone who gave us advice before we went but I'm afraid the area around Norman is just what we are trying to get away from . . . too big, too much traffic, and too many people. We talked to several people while we were there and it sounds like almost everyone commutes into OKC for work and that traffic is bad. We were hoping for something a little slower and quieter. We'll keep searching!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma