U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
OKC area 17 56.67%
Tulsa area 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,828,852 times

Advertisements

Since my boyfriend will be working 7 on and 7 off we have the option of living near OKC or Tulsa. Which city is better in your opinion?

I am right into my pubs, clubs. I love a walkable city that is clean and is not full of crime. A nice downtown is always good. We wont live in a city though but i heard the towns around Tulsa are nice.

Is Tulsa more green than OKC?

Im not sure which city has the better opportunities for a nurse.

Thanks all
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 10:14 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,029,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Since my boyfriend will be working 7 on and 7 off we have the option of living near OKC or Tulsa. Which city is better in your opinion?

I am right into my pubs, clubs. I love a walkable city that is clean and is not full of crime. A nice downtown is always good. We wont live in a city though but i heard the towns around Tulsa are nice.

Is Tulsa more green than OKC?

Im not sure which city has the better opportunities for a nurse.

Thanks all
Right off the bat I'll let you know I hate these questions. Which city people like more tends to stem from their personal preferences and for the natives it seems to be a lot about allegiance as well.

If you are into the party scene then OKC beats Tulsa hands down, Bricktown...need I say more.

For walking I've heard Tulsa is better and has more trails but I don't really know anything about this.

Tulsa is more green and hillier than OKC but contrary to popular belief OKC is green most of the warmer months with maybe the exception of July and August. Yes, we do still have trees and the leaves don't fall off or anything. There are rolling hills all over, interstates do a good job showing off the flat land because who wants to build an interstate through hills?

The average rain is something like 8 or 9 inches more in Tulsa than OKC, somewhere near 40 compared to 32. However, from November - March, both cities are just as brown and barren as the bermuda grass that dominates the area goes dormant in the winter. Temperatures are virtually the same, OKC averages about a degree or two warmer during the days and a degree or two cooler at night. Humidity is slightly less as well.

For nursing options I honestly have no clue.

Hope this helps and good luck in your decision, I like Tulsa...I just like OKC better, and it's home

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM

31,007 posts, read 19,706,589 times
I'd take OKC. The people there have been a lot more interested in voting higher sales taxes and bigger government upon themselves to improve their city. But give Tulsa more time. They might sooner or later catch up.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM

11,884 posts, read 35,586,963 times
Both cities are great, but if I chose a city in which to live, it would be Tulsa. OkC has a more thriving downtown with Bricktown, the baseball stadium and all; I just prefer Tulsa because in my opinion it has more natural beauty with the hills and trees.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:36 PM

33,315 posts, read 19,550,279 times
With the shortage in Nursing in Oklahoma, you can live anywhere and not worry about finding employment.

In OKC they are offering signon bonuses. Nursing will always have employment opportunities. Good luck in your move, wherever you settle.

On the OP's question, I agree with Nameless, neither OKC nor Tulsa is better or worse than the other. To each his own is my answer.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys. I really do like the greenery, small hills around Tulsa. Isn't the hunting better there?

Well i feel a bit better that i'll be able to get a job as a nurse no problem there. Is $50k a good pay for a nurse in that part of OK? My boyfriend will be earning $80k.

Thanks all you've been a great help!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:27 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,183,320 times
Try Stroud. Lots of land available fairly cheap and 45 minutes either direction and you are in Tulsa or OKC.

If I had to live in either city (shudder) and were a young party type (double shudder), I would chose Tulsa. OKC DOES have Bricktown. And it is nice. Tulsa has Cherry Street, Brookside, and an up and coming downtown. Cains is downtown, the new arena is downtown, the new ball park is going to be down town, nice clubs are coming in, there are a lot of different types of clubs there. Redfork and Berryhill is up and coming. Sapulpa has a pleasant downtown, Jenks has the art shops, the antique shops, an aquarium and the river walk development areas. Further, 45 minuts south you have Eufala Lake, North you have Skitook and Oolagah lakes, east you have Hudson and Ft Gibson Lakes, further east (an hour east of Tulsa) you have Tenkiller and Grand Lakes.

There are a lot of deer, coyote, bobcat, fox, duck, geese, quail, squirrel and rabbit........you haven't lived till you've had pecan fed fried squirrel, biscuits, cream gravey, buttered corn, and okra pickles.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM

779 posts, read 2,143,905 times
If you like Fort Worth, TX, I think you will like Oklahoma City.

Last edited by autotech4dallas; 11-01-2008 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Try Stroud. Lots of land available fairly cheap and 45 minutes either direction and you are in Tulsa or OKC.

If I had to live in either city (shudder) and were a young party type (double shudder), I would chose Tulsa. OKC DOES have Bricktown. And it is nice. Tulsa has Cherry Street, Brookside, and an up and coming downtown. Cains is downtown, the new arena is downtown, the new ball park is going to be down town, nice clubs are coming in, there are a lot of different types of clubs there. Redfork and Berryhill is up and coming. Sapulpa has a pleasant downtown, Jenks has the art shops, the antique shops, an aquarium and the river walk development areas. Further, 45 minuts south you have Eufala Lake, North you have Skitook and Oolagah lakes, east you have Hudson and Ft Gibson Lakes, further east (an hour east of Tulsa) you have Tenkiller and Grand Lakes.

There are a lot of deer, coyote, bobcat, fox, duck, geese, quail, squirrel and rabbit........you haven't lived till you've had pecan fed fried squirrel, biscuits, cream gravey, buttered corn, and okra pickles.

I wouldnt live in a city either. Im 30 mins from Glasgow which is big but very cosmopolitan. I like to be close to one but have the comfort of living in a rural setting and to hunt. I have tried biscuits with gravy and we use okra in Scotland but i love my sweet tea. I've been to the South. My boyfriend was raised in MS.

I love my food lol.

I just hope theres not alot of tornados there, they freak me out.

I think i'll go for the Tulsa area. I love my greenery too, never short of that here hahaha.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,183,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I just hope theres not alot of tornados there, they freak me out.
Bummer. We have some of the nicest ones around. The ones that come in north of Oklahoma City (around Perry) are the most fun, but the ones that just touch down and dance around a bit are the cutest. If you can get one just the right size you can step close to it and it will twirl you around the yard a couple of times and set you down just as gentle as can be. It's a lot like dancing with the stars.

Oh yeah.....one minor suggestion. Try not to park your car directly in the way of one coming through. It limits their ability to dance and skip so they tend to mess up cars they find in the way. Park your car inside or on a side street. It's safer.

Hope you enjoy Oklahoma...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma