U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 PM

24 posts, read 64,085 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving back to Oklahoma but to a new town. I like the prices I see in Ada and Ardmore. Are there any major disadvantages to one or the other? The rent there seems so low that I have to wonder if there are major problems such as, crime, water pollution, weather, etc.
I am also a night person, and enjoy smaller bars and pool. Which of these may offer a better selection? Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM

11,885 posts, read 35,206,734 times
I was born in Ada and raised in the area. I prefer Ada. Crime in both cities is about the same. Ardmore is a about 30% larger than Ada. The weather is good in both areas, but in the Spring you can get some major thunderstorms with the potential of tornadoes, but that wouldn't deter me from living in either city. Ada has East Central University, which brings a lot to the city and it is also the HQ for the Chickasaw Nation, which is a big supplier of jobs.

Although Ardmore is close to the Arbuckle mountains, the immediate vicinity around Ardmore always seemed kind of flat to me. As for small bars and pool, both cities have several places like that.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the input. Tornadoes are something that I actually like as long as I'm not in them. I hope to have a shelter anyway. I love thunderstorms! I am leaning more towards Ardmore at this point. How is the internet access out there? I require a really good broadband connection as I own an online business.
It may sound a little low asking about the bar scene, but I am a pool player more than anything. I enjoy the "play everybody" atmosphere of bars. How are the roads?

Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM

11,885 posts, read 35,206,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteran View Post
Thanks for the input. Tornadoes are something that I actually like as long as I'm not in them. I hope to have a shelter anyway. I love thunderstorms! I am leaning more towards Ardmore at this point. How is the internet access out there? I require a really good broadband connection as I own an online business.
It may sound a little low asking about the bar scene, but I am a pool player more than anything. I enjoy the "play everybody" atmosphere of bars. How are the roads?

Thanks
There's nothing wrong with enjoying a good game of pool!

I don't know about broadband in Ardmore but am sure it's available. Thunderstorms in this part of the country are something to be feared and enjoyed. As long as you have a good shelter you'll have nothing to worry about.

Ardmore is a fine city and I hope that things work out for you, especially since (by your screen name) you appear to be a veteran, which I respect very much. I'm a vet too, btw. Army, back in the late 70s early to mid 80s.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM

I am pretty well versed in storms I guess. I grew up in Northern Az. and spent many years on Ft. Sill (Lawton). I just "retired" from the Army about a year and half ago. Got hurt my second tour and they sent me packing. Tried for a desk job but it just wasn't going to happen. So they call it medically retired.....
Took my "your outta here bonus", and bought my vette hence the name

Thanks again

Old 11-21-2008, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 34,964 times
Vetteran I may be able to help with info on Ada. I live about 15 mi. from there.

Bars -- I'm not sure about the night life in either place (I'm not a night person). I know there are several small bars in and around Ada. I have no idea as to there quality sorry.

Not trying to get religious however if you attend church (and you can and still go to bars you just don't recognize fellow members there ) there are also about 80 churches in Ada.

Probable advantage of Ardmore is I-35. Also as Synopsis said it's about 30% larger so there are more businesses. I know there is a new large shopping center going in just off of I-35. However Ada also has a new shopping center going in although it's not near as far along nor does is look to be as large.

Crime -- My opinion on crime is that Ardmore probably has more but it is probably due to the larger size. Honestly Ada is not too bad, mostly drug problems like anywhere, very little violent crime but it does happen.

Internet -- As far as Internet in Ada goes both the local cable company (cable one) as well as the phone company (AT&T) offer high speed internet. There are also a couple of wireless companies but I don't hear good things about them. Don't know about Ardmore but I would guess it's about the same.

Water -- Ada gets it water from Byrd's Mill Spring so it's probably about the best water you can get. There is a lot of lime in it but it tases great. I don't know anything about Ardmore's water supply.

Roads -- Ada has done major improvements on it's streets recently. There are still some bad ones mostly in residential areas, but the City seems to be doing a good (although slow) job on fixing them. Highways into Ada are very good not much in the way of 4-lane but very good 2 lane for the most part. As far as Ardmore goes the roads seem to be in good shape but it might take you some time to figure them out. Some of them seem to be laid out as an afterthought.

Weather -- Ada usually gets the same storms Ardmore gets they just hit Ardmore first. They normally track on a path from Ardmore to Ada.

I hope that answers some of your questions at least about Ada. If you think of anything else just ask. I don't frequent this board often but I'll try to remember to check back for the next few days.

Oh one other thing. Ada is a very clickish place, although you can be accepted sometimes it can take a while.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:06 PM

379 posts, read 683,040 times
What about the new lake on the west side of Ada? Is it a Go?

Ada is a easy, friendly place to live. I lived there in '91 & '92. The biggest disadvantage was the lack of a four lane road to anywhere. The water does taste great, but you had better clean your iron & coffemaker regurally or they will quickly plug up with sediment.

Ardmore is a 30 minute walk from Lake Murray, and a 30 minute drive from Texhoma. It takes a little longer to get to a lake from Ada.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Crosstimbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
What about the new lake on the west side of Ada? Is it a Go?

So far it's still in the talking stage, mostly how will it be paid for. So in other words unless the city can come up with a few hundred million not much is going to happen.

Ada is a easy, friendly place to live. I lived there in '91 & '92. The biggest disadvantage was the lack of a four lane road to anywhere. The water does taste great, but you had better clean your iron & coffemaker regurally or they will quickly plug up with sediment.

Water softeners are pretty popular in Ada. Highway 99 is mostly 4 lane to I-40 now. There is a short segment that is still 2 lane.

Ardmore is a 30 minute walk from Lake Murray, and a 30 minute drive from Texhoma. It takes a little longer to get to a lake from Ada.

It's about 1 hr 15 min to Texhoma, 45 min. to Arbuckle and 30 min to Konawa lake. Not sure how far to Murray.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM

379 posts, read 683,040 times
Quote:
So far it's still in the talking stage, mostly how will it be paid for. So in other words unless the city can come up with a few hundred million not much is going to happen.
Too bad. I think it would be a big draw for Ada. I know it would be a big draw for me...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 AM

It's not dead by any means but I don't really expect to see anything happen for at least a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma