Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 29,904 times

Advertisements

I travel all over Oklahoma on a weekly basis, when I have time I like to stop to eat. Good food is hard to find. What is your favorite and where is it?

1) OKC Pizza Malano, GREAT food... if they can find your house Suggest pickup only.

2) Weatherford Small fill up station about 1 mile north of I-40, 3rd (?) exit traveling west. Really great food, I know its a filling station but the absolute BEST philly steak Iv'e ever had. Awsome burgers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 02:07 PM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Idabel, Ok - has got this great little place - but it's been so long since I've been there (my husband spent most of his growing years there - he's Choctaw) I can't remeber the name!
It's like 'dairy dell' or something like that. On the main strip close to walmart.

Oh - and over on the bypass - there is a terrific REAL mexican rest. - can't remeber that name either (hubby not here to ask) - but I would absolutely go back to both!!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 120,125 times
Cory,

what do you do to travel OK regularly.

Find the Greek House in Norman, just across the street from the University on Main St. I believe. If you like Greek Heros this is the place. One of my favorite places to eat in the COUNTRY! Owned by an older Greek couple that have been there for at least 15 years that I know of. Its a small hole in the wall type of place, but AWESOME food!

Good Luck

Old 03-03-2007, 03:22 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
The Greek house is on Jenkins just north of Boyd.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
If you come to Tahlequah stop at Lucky's on Muskogee Ave. and have an Indian Taco. They are really good. Or go to the China Buffet on 62 bypass.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM

12 posts, read 66,358 times
Some of the best Mexican around is in Norman at Tarahumara's, just north of Main Street on Porter near the hospital. It is always packed, and the owner practically lives there. The salsa is awesome!

Old 03-04-2007, 05:21 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Here is a list I can think of:

Miami-Ku Ku Burger, Okie Burger
Sallisaw-Wildhorse Barbegue
Poteau- Boxcare Willie's
South of Heavener- Saddle Gap Saloon
McAlester/Krebs- Pete's Place, Rosannes, Isle of Capri, Giacommo's, Lovera's quick stop (for Pizza and Sandwiches)
Okmulgee- Factory's BBQ
Claremore- Hammit House
Ada- Bob's BBQ, Foldger's Burger
Davis- Babe's Tamale's
Pauls Valley- Punkin's, Fields Pies
Marietta- McGehee's catfish
Purcell- Jo's Famous Pizza, Val's Smokehouse
Norman- Pepe Delgado's, OConnells Irish Grill, Goldie's Hamburgers, Cane's chicken fingers, Ozzie's Diner, Wildhorse Onion Burger, Sooner Dairy Lunch, Brother's, the Mont, the Diner, the Vista, Bison Witches, Royal Bavaria
Noble- Kendall's, Peddler's Pizza
Goldsby- Libbie's Diner
Okarche- Eischen's Bar (chicken)
Stillwater- Hideaway Pizza, Eskimo Joe's
Ponca City- Head Country BBQ, Chick and Millie's Blue Moon, Dixie Dog
Chickasha- JW Grill, Roy's BBQ, Jakes BBQ, Paw Paws, Napoli's
Andadarko- Itailian Place north of town (forgetting the name)
Marlow- Guiseppe's
Meers- Meers Longhorn burgers, and the place across the street.
Waynoka- German Place downtown

Any Place with a Ron's Hamburger

Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 66,358 times
Also, Melton Drug in Anadarko is awesome. It is an old fashioned soda fountain with great sandwiches. Like others said, the Greek House in Norman is very good.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Just to echo some others already mentioned. Meers burgers are awesome. And Bob's BBQ in Ada is a regional delight. Folger's Hamburgers are also good, right off main street in Ada just West of Mississippi and down the street from East Central University.
There is a really great Italian restaurant in downtown Ada that is very popular with the locals (forgot the name!). I've been there and the food is great. Just ask any local and they can point you in the right direction.
Although this place is no longer in existence, there was a BBQ place with a funny name two miles South of Gerty, about 30 miles North of Atoka on Hwy 75. The name? "Toots" BBQ. The building is still there but they are out of business, most likely because the owner passing on. It was in business for 35 or 40 years, sad.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 31,150 times
Come up further north of Atoka to McAlester and Krebs. For great barbecue try THE SPEEDTRAP--yup, an old cop car lounges out front--at the east edge of Krebs on Hwy. 1. Or, LOVERA'S, which is an old Italian grocery store in Krebs, offers hard-to-beat smoked ribs for carry-out! The old established barbecue establishment in McAlester is BALL'S BARBECUE which always has some great cobbler on hand.

Best breakfast place in McAlester has to be BEVERLY'S, a small place which is a longtime favorite of truckers and locals; located next to the Best Western on the north side of Hwy 69. Ask your waitress to show you the latest quilt she's made.

If you're recruiting a doctor for the hospital or an officer for one of our top-notch local banks, you must take him or her to CHEF BILLY'S (on historic Choctaw Avenue in McAlester) which offers wonderful seafood, steaks, or even a big and spicy Billy's Burger, as well as a wine list. Chef Billy's offers a lighter lunch menu which is also good.

Everyone argues about which of the 4 Italian restaurants is best. For large groups PETE'S PLACE is the best of all Italian restaurants in Krebs and neighboring McAlester. ISLE OF CAPRI, also in Krebs, has a nice upscale atmosphere about it--a nice place to go if you're treating a couple of friends. ROSEANNA'S has more choices in its menu than the family-style plates dished up at Pete's and Isle of Capri, and is very reasonably priced. On the west side of Hwy 69 in McAlester at the Wal-Mart traffic light is GIACOMMO'S which offers a good number of choices and, if you insist on having a steak with your Italian food, is a good bet.

For your best Chinese food in McAlester I prefer HUNAN'S (great food at a great price run by some great people), next door to the Pizza Hut on Hwy 69 (south of Wal-Mart). If you prefer buffet-style Chinese food you can find that restaurant directly across the highway from Hunan's.

Hamburgers? My faves are from the grill at THE FILLING STATION at 6th and East Carl Albert where the Woodleys can fill your tank and your tummy.

And what about Mexican? The fare in McAlester keeps getting better and the competition keeps the top taco servers on their toes. Locals have always liked TACO BOB'S on South Main. I don't think Bob has any Latin ancestry but his food is excellente! Of course there's ADELITA'S which has yet to disappoint me. One Adelita's is at the SE corner of the junction of highways 69 and 1, the other is near the western end of McAlester on W. Carl Albert Parkway (Highway 1). There are other excellent Mexican eating places, too!

Let me finish my recommendations with a reasonably priced steak, salad bar, and a Bud at the down home, old WESTSIDE CAFE on Westside Road, just west of McAlester, on the south side of Hwy, and very hard to see from the highway.

Last edited by David SHC; 03-08-2007 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma