Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times

Advertisements

Do they salt the roads in Oklahoma? I was driving yesterday in the storm and it appeared like all that was put down was sand . With the icy weather why not use salt?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Do they salt the roads in Oklahoma? I was driving yesterday in the storm and it appeared like all that was put down was sand . With the icy weather why not use salt?????
Probably because people don't like to have their cars corroded. I think they use some special mixture of sand and something else, like they do here in the DFW area.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,005 times
there isn't a road salt shortage-our salt mine in Utah, produces over 10,000 acres of salt equivalent to 3millions tons a year and we are a small salt mine- the companies are just monopolizing on the opportunity - this was a man-made shortage that was created-we are currently selling a lot into Ohio because the local mines are choosing to transport out of state or have closed contracts with other cities or governing agencies and refuse to sell to their local counties-right now our Ohio clients are getting salt into the Austintown Ohio at around $100/ton and into Cleveland, OH for $110 a ton. The thing is our salt sells for $37 a ton and the railroads or also monopolizing on the oportunity whereas 70% of the whole transaction is transportation-go figure! [email]bdisalt@gmail.com[/email] contact us if you need salt

Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Probably because people don't like to have their cars corroded. I think they use some special mixture of sand and something else, like they do here in the DFW area.
I'm originally from Michigan where salt is used on all of the roads. In states like this, you'll find 5 year old vehicles with the fender wells completely rusted out. I heard that it's not as bad now because there's an undercoating ( like tar) that can be sprayed on the underside and insde the fender wells.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:02 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,844 times
I know in Tulsa they'll use a mix, and it's usually predominantly sand, specifically relating to the corrosion issue mentioned.

When we had the ice storm last year, the roads had a white haze to them until April, because the city put down a lot more salt than normal during that event.

Looks like we may be in for another icing starting next Monday.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
I know in Tulsa they'll use a mix, and it's usually predominantly sand, specifically relating to the corrosion issue mentioned.

When we had the ice storm last year, the roads had a white haze to them until April, because the city put down a lot more salt than normal during that event.

Looks like we may be in for another icing starting next Monday.
After looking at the weather forecast for next week, I see that you are correct!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Road salt is some evil crap---------frankly; it would not hurt my feelings to see it banned. Not only does it kill especially older cars; it also gets into the vegetation and can leach into the water table.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
I would rather they used some salt instead of sliding into a ditch because of black ice.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
A little salt doesn't hurt anything. Particularly when we get as much rain as we do that keeps it diluted. What I hate are the guys who use the slat like they worked for Kraft Foods where their idea of adding flavor is to add more salt (ever taste velveeta? that is some salty stuff)

Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbattle View Post
there isn't a road salt shortage-our salt mine in Utah, produces over 10,000 acres of salt equivalent to 3millions tons a year and we are a small salt mine- the companies are just monopolizing on the opportunity - this was a man-made shortage that was created-we are currently selling a lot into Ohio because the local mines are choosing to transport out of state or have closed contracts with other cities or governing agencies and refuse to sell to their local counties-right now our Ohio clients are getting salt into the Austintown Ohio at around $100/ton and into Cleveland, OH for $110 a ton. The thing is our salt sells for $37 a ton and the railroads or also monopolizing on the oportunity whereas 70% of the whole transaction is transportation-go figure! bdisalt@gmail.com contact us if you need salt
The other thing they've been using up here in Ohio is, pulverized foundry slag. When mixed with the salt, it creats a gritty base thats needed for the tires to grip the road. And it also allows the local cities to stretch thier salt supplies a little do to the price gouging at the great lakes salt mines.

And one little trick that most farmers are known for, is that they undercoat thier trucks and cars with old motor oil. Its cheap and its readly available if you do your own oil changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma