Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 9,793 times

Advertisements

Good Morning everyone!!!
I have been reading some posts and doing some research about possible relocation... My fiance and I have both recently finished school (about a year ago), she has a degree in Graphic Arts and I went to a Microsoft academy and have the know how of anything computer related...
I would like to be in an area where there is a few bigger buildings, an area with a mall near the city (she loves her shopping ) some historical sites like muesems and any other activities... I am a huge football fan so I know that wont be a problem in Oklahoma and I am pretty sure I can adjust to becoming a SOONER FAN! ....
Just would like some input on area that have good living costs, we will look to rent to start out and then when we get settled make the bigger commitment, I saw in one of the posts tornadoes are not much of a concern, I live in Michigan and would love an area with a little less snow and possibly higher tempatures year round... how cold does it get during Dec.- Mar.? Any advice or input would be wonderful! Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Welcome to the forum! You will get a lot of good info here, especially if you do a search on the older threads.

Weather from December to around February/March is winter, but nothing like you have in Michigan. This week we're having an especially cold spell -- freezing temps and sleet/ice. From around April until about June is the spring storm season, when we get most of our tornadoes. But, you're right, it's not a big concern because there is a very good warning system, and the TV stations will begin to bore you with the coverage everytime there is a storm. Also most people have weather radios that will alert you if there is something headed your way.

Oklahoma City has the tall buildings and there are several malls in the metro area. We're feeling the recession a bit, but nothing like the rest of the country. We didn't have the housing bubble, but lost some steam when oil prices dropped.

BTW, the Sooners are not the ONLY football team. Check out OSU's Cowboys.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
BTW, the Sooners are not the ONLY football team. Check out OSU's Cowboys.
OSU has football?

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Oklahoma City has the tall buildings and there are several malls in the metro area.
Yeah, Tulsa just has a few mud huts along the Arkansas.........

Quote:
BTW, the Sooners are not the ONLY football team.
Right! The University of Tulsa Hurricanes are pretty good too. And don't forget the Redmen, make that the Riverhawks, for good NAIA football.......I think Langston has a team too, and there is another in that area, now that I think about it......

Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 PM

51 posts, read 153,295 times
Um...I'm going to have to step in here and say please have some self respect and DO NOT be a Sucky Sooners fan...OSU COWBOYS!!!!

Depending on where you are in the state winter time can be different. Up here in the Panhandle we get bone chilling cold and our share of blizzards, downstate its a lot more moderate with less snow and warmer temps 40-50s.

Check out Tulsa and Oklahoma City if your looking for the big city experience, if a smaller but still big town is what your looking for, check out Stillwater. Happy hunting!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
The Panhandle DOES get very frigid in the Winter. The predicted HIGH on Sunday is 20, with a low of 9 degrees Fahrenheit. But it warms up quickly as well.

Sometimes in the panhandle it will stay below freezing for extended periods, but nowhere near as bad as in places like Minneapolis or parts of the frigid North.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Its 35F and foggy in Stillwater today, home of the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Tomorrow its supposed to be 50F. Was in the teens earlier in the week.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Stillwater is an awesome town.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:51 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
I'm not a city person, so others will have more input on OK cities. I had quite a few friends back in Alaska who came from Michigan and Minnesota, and they all said AK winters were milder, if longer. While it does get cold in OK, the cold spells are more like short spikes, not the norm, unless you go to the Panhandle. And winter itself is a lot shorter here. Good luck on your search for the right place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma