Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,293 times

Advertisements

My husband just got out of the marine corps and is joining the army because they have the job he wants. We are trying to decide between Fort Sill and Fort Campbell, but neither of us has been to either place. Any information on the two areas would be great and very helpful. I have read a lot about crime and gangs being a problem in Lawton, Ok, but they also have a great deal more house rentals available than Clarksville, TN. From what i've been able to find there are not a whole lot of reasonablly priced homes to rent in Clarksville, and the ones there are seem... run-down. Anything would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
I like both communities. Lawton, I think, would be a bit more isolated, but it is about as far from Lawton to OKC as Clarksville is from Nashville.

If I were choosing a place to live the rest of my life, I would choose Lawton....between cost of living, access to OKC and Dallas, and so much beautiful country, I don't think that area can be beat.

For a two or three year tour, I would probably choose Clarksville.......I am a history buff and the Civil War history there is awesome......there are also some Trail of Tears landmarks in that area that I would like to pray at.....further, there are some Goodpasture roots that I would like to explore in Tennessee and Virginia........not something you would care for I'm sure.....but it would play into my decision.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM

81 posts, read 293,494 times
My wife and I concider Lawton a Big LIttle City. Just big enough to have what we want as far as shopping and entertainment, but little enough to not have major traffic problems.

Lawton it growing. The ADA school is moving from Ft. Bliss Texas to Ft. Sill, so there is constructions going on all over Ft. Sill and Lawton.

Housing cost are rising because of BRAC. Avgerage cost of a house is around $90,000 to $179,000.
SouthWest part of town has alot of new housing going up.
There is alot of Apartment complexes going in also, these fill up pretty much as soon as they open them.

There are three High Schools in Lawton and 4 Jr. Highs. There are many elementary schools placed.

Gas prices are below the national average at around $1.65 - $1.75 depending on the price of oil.

Yes, Lawton has gangs, but what city doesn't. South side of town is where most of them gather, but they tend to not bother anyone but other gangs. The Police have a gang task force that follows the movements of the gangs and makes sure they don't intrude on anyone.

Depending on what type of hobbies you like there is usually something for everyone here. From great Fishing, water skiing, hiking, running trails, bike trails and more.

Alot of people are moving to areas outside of Lawton because the cost of living is low and most prefer to not deal with the City noise of traffic and such. My kids go to Elgin High School, which is a much small school compared to Lawton's school.

I can answer just about any question you have if you like.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:44 PM

204 posts, read 876,583 times
Don't let the rental prices in Clarksville fool you. Fort Campbell is one of the most modernized installations in the Army and Clarksville is an awesome Military Town. The climate is moderate here, cost of living is average and the people are great - from the Soldiers to the Civilians in the community.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 23,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
My wife and I concider Lawton a Big LIttle City. Just big enough to have what we want as far as shopping and entertainment, but little enough to not have major traffic problems.

Lawton it growing. The ADA school is moving from Ft. Bliss Texas to Ft. Sill, so there is constructions going on all over Ft. Sill and Lawton.

Housing cost are rising because of BRAC. Avgerage cost of a house is around $90,000 to $179,000.
SouthWest part of town has alot of new housing going up.
There is alot of Apartment complexes going in also, these fill up pretty much as soon as they open them.

There are three High Schools in Lawton and 4 Jr. Highs. There are many elementary schools placed.

Gas prices are below the national average at around $1.65 - $1.75 depending on the price of oil.

Yes, Lawton has gangs, but what city doesn't. South side of town is where most of them gather, but they tend to not bother anyone but other gangs. The Police have a gang task force that follows the movements of the gangs and makes sure they don't intrude on anyone.

Depending on what type of hobbies you like there is usually something for everyone here. From great Fishing, water skiing, hiking, running trails, bike trails and more.

Alot of people are moving to areas outside of Lawton because the cost of living is low and most prefer to not deal with the City noise of traffic and such. My kids go to Elgin High School, which is a much small school compared to Lawton's school.

I can answer just about any question you have if you like.
My husband is also in the Army, and we'll be moving to Lawton this April. We would really much rather just rent a house, because I'm sure we'll only be there a couple of years. Can you tell me if there are any newer homes in nice area's that are available to rent. I've found some rental properties, but honestly the houses just don't look very nice, and I haven't really found anything built after the 80's. Thanks for any info. Also, what are bugs/snakes like? I live in Colorado right now, and have never had a problem with anything, but I'm wondering what it's like down there. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Lots of bugs and snakes but it's not like snakes invade your house or anything. You won't have any problems if you just use bugspray when you are outside, especially at night.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM

81 posts, read 293,494 times
HeatherDawn is right.

Depending on where you decide to live determines the amount of snakes you will have.
Inside the city, not many find their way there, mainly grass snakes that don't bother anyone
Outside the city, like where I live, we get some, but nothing dangerous: grass snake and a water snake after a big rain once.

Bugs are going to be everywhere. Keep the yard sprayed with bug killer and you should be ok.

Finding a newer home to rent is hard to find right now with all the new troops moving in. Rent prices can be high for those types of house.
An example of this is that my neighbors are renting their house for $1100 month, it was built in the 70's and has about 2000 sq ft. with in ground pool. Oh yeah the house is on a 2 acre lot.
They are able to get that much because of the area we live, nice and quite about 10 miles North of Lawton (Medicine Park area)

I would suggest coming to Lawton for a visit over a weekend and explore the different housing areas as well as the surrounding areas like Geronimo, Elgin, Medicine Park, Cache and possibly Duncan.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,987 times
Decisions, decisions... It's a tough one.

Having been born at Ft. Sill, I'd say opt for Oklahoma!

The area is growing and with growth there are problems in some areas. However, the Lawton Police Dept. is doing their best to keep it under control.

If you like the idea of living in a smaller town or even a rural area you may want to head North of Ft. Sill. I live North of Lawton/Ft.Sill. Just a few miles from Apache Gate. This area is a fantastic place to raise a family or retire. The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is just 5 minutes West. There are 2 lakes within a few miles of each other. Oklahoma City is 1 hour's drive and Dallas/Ft.Worth is 3 hours. Elgin (North and East of Lawton) is in the process of building a new High School.

Rentals in the Elgin area are difficult to find, but not impossible. Fletcher is just North of Elgin and may have homes available for rent. You may also try Medicine Park, which is West of I-44 and a stones throw from Ft. Sill.

Bugs are much worse than in Colorado because our climate isn't as arid. Summers here are humid, but usually very green.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:32 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzster22 View Post
My husband just got out of the marine corps and is joining the army because they have the job he wants. We are trying to decide between Fort Sill and Fort Campbell, but neither of us has been to either place. Any information on the two areas would be great and very helpful. I have read a lot about crime and gangs being a problem in Lawton, Ok, but they also have a great deal more house rentals available than Clarksville, TN. From what i've been able to find there are not a whole lot of reasonablly priced homes to rent in Clarksville, and the ones there are seem... run-down. Anything would help!

Absolutely right. My son finished his basic training at Fort Sill and I thought the drive from OKC to Ft Sill was breath-taking. But Lawton was by no means impressive. Never been to KY, though Ive only been through there. My son has buddies at Ft Campbell so I can ask him to ask them, how they feel about out there. Meanwhile, happy hunting!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 AM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I thought the drive from OKC to Ft Sill was breath-taking.
Bless your heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma