Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:46 AM

491 posts, read 1,475,758 times

Advertisements

I got this info in an e-mail today and it made me think of all the tornado questions that come up here. Just thought I would share.

Storm awareness program this weekend
Everyone is being invited to attend the free Storm Awareness For Everyone (SAFE) Program on Saturday, Jan. 31, at the City of Stillwater Community Center, 315 W. 8th Ave. The day will kick off at 10 a.m. with a display of storm-spotter and emergency management response vehicles until noon. That will be followed by presentations from OK-First and the National Weather Service Office, which will include safety and scientific weather information, between 1 and 3:30 p.m. The program will include question and answer sessions with area experts. For more information contact City of Stillwater Emergency Management at (405) 372-7484 or visit the web site at stillwater.org/seccc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 39,478 times
I really think the paranoia is misplaced. I lived in Oklahoma 15 years, scattered through the '50s and '70s. Each year there was at least one local tornado warning, but I never saw a tornado and never experienced damage.

For the last 18 years I've been in Spokane. We don't have tornados here, but my house was damaged by windstorms twice and by heavy snow twice. This winter two dozen business buildings were completely destroyed by snowload. That's tornado-style damage.

And yet we still think of tornados as scary and snow as pretty????

I'm strongly considering a return to Oklahoma, probably to Ponca.

Tornados give you a sporting chance. Snow and floods don't.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM

218 posts, read 562,863 times
When I loved in Coweta, we had a tornado over our house. It destroyed only one house, but it scared several people and everywhere we drove afterwards looked like ghost town. The sky was so black that night time critters were out and about. The was back in the spring of 2004.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM

274 posts, read 518,613 times
I will take tornadoes in OK over tax collect collectors in CT any day. For the last 15 years I have lived under a constant unrelenting threat of being wiped out by high taxes. As bad as a tornado can be, the threat of being wiped out by one is quite rare.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 207,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
I will take tornadoes in OK over tax collect collectors in CT any day. For the last 15 years I have lived under a constant unrelenting threat of being wiped out by high taxes. As bad as a tornado can be, the threat of being wiped out by one is quite rare.

Taxados, I'm scared to death of them, because they hit every time you turn around here in NY.

LOL

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,850 times
I'm moving at the end of summer and I'm going to miss the tornados....lol. I love storm season around here, I wish I could have been a storm chaser

Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,981 times
More wonderful Oklahoma weather today.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM

330 posts, read 970,254 times
The sky gods have returned.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 AM

126 posts, read 246,297 times
weisgarber1 wrote: More wonderful Oklahoma weather today.

Which, judging by the date, was sarcasm I assume. My husband and I have been considering Ardmore or Ada -- as we shivered here this winter in Penna. we have the Ardmore and Ada temperatures on our weather webpage, and except for one ice storm and a few days in the 20's, we would have gladly traded all winter. Yesterday and today we are getting a little respite here.

But my point was, tornadoes do scare me, and there was a scary one in Lone Grove yesterday -- they said half a mile wide. A number dead, I have seen numbers from 4 - 15. My question is, were those who died in storm shelters or safe rooms, or do you think they had not taken shelter?

Loss of a home is of course terrible and devastating, but I am more concerned about loss of life, and the circumstances where people die in tornadoes.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_grouch View Post
weisgarber1 wrote: More wonderful Oklahoma weather today.

Which, judging by the date, was sarcasm I assume. My husband and I have been considering Ardmore or Ada -- as we shivered here this winter in Penna. we have the Ardmore and Ada temperatures on our weather webpage, and except for one ice storm and a few days in the 20's, we would have gladly traded all winter. Yesterday and today we are getting a little respite here.

But my point was, tornadoes do scare me, and there was a scary one in Lone Grove yesterday -- they said half a mile wide. A number dead, I have seen numbers from 4 - 15. My question is, were those who died in storm shelters or safe rooms, or do you think they had not taken shelter?

Loss of a home is of course terrible and devastating, but I am more concerned about loss of life, and the circumstances where people die in tornadoes.
It appeared most of those folks lived in a trailer park. My heart goes out to their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma