Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

44 posts, read 126,305 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what happened to that lake. The map shows a lake is supposed to be there, but there is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
It's right here, although it almost looks more like a river than a lake.

lake frances, oklahoma - Google Maps

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM

44 posts, read 126,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's right here, although it almost looks more like a river than a lake.

lake frances, oklahoma - Google Maps

On Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible it shows a lake, like most maps do, but go to bird's eye view and there is nothing, just like when I visited my friend who just moved there and knows nothing about it either.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Sure enough, on Bird's Eye view and arial view it looks like it has just dried up. I really don't think it was ever a lake though. It's just a river as far as I can tell. Interesting.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM

471 posts, read 825,144 times
It hasn't dried up. That is close to the headwaters of the Illinois River.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,112 times
The dam broke. Where the dam and lake use to be is all overgrown with vegetation. The Illinois river still flows over the spillway area. It was creepy looking back in the days when the dam was working and extra creepy looking now. I recently drove by again and now it is really impossible to get back to the dam because of big undergrowth. I have heard from locals that people make there way back to the dam and there have been drownings. The drownings occur by people jumping off the concrete spillway into the river. There are undercurrents and holes from years of rushing water. I heard they get sucked in.... The lake back in its hey day was very pretty but became quite algae in its later years. It was a very shallow lake. I heard when the dam broke everyone downstream did not have time to move vehicles etc.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,512 times
My brother lived in Siloam Springs AR and you could see Lake Francis from his yard. Then one day it wasn't there. Reeally creepy.

I need to clarify. It was a good ways out of Siloam, on the Arkansas side, close enough to the border to see Lk. Francis. I would like to drive up there just to see the spooky remains of the dam.

Last edited by Jammie; 10-31-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,214 times
I lived in Lake Francis Park, which used to have a hotel, large olympic size swimming pool and a golf course. IN the 20's it was a really popular resort area. It was called Forrest Park then. The lake bordered the ARkansas and Oklahoma edge of the Park. I used to boat and fish in the lake in the mid to late 60's. The Illinois River ran thru it and that was the deepest part. You could stand up in the middle of the lake, (in mud). The dam has since broken and only the river is left.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 18,512 times
Wow. That would be great if there were any photos left from the hey day of the lake back in the 20's. An earlier comment was made on how spooky the spillway looked before it ever broke. I can imagine a 20's era spillway would look rather goth to begin with.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 6,893 times
I worked at Kamp Paddle Trails back in the 60's when Lake Francis was still a lake. I led the camp's 3-day canoe trips down the Illinois River to Talequah. The camp's sailing unit sailed on the lake. I think it was in the late 80's or early 90's that there was a lot of rain, and the dam gave way. It was never repaired. Mrs. Pickle, the owner of the camp, told me that Lake Francis had been a hot spot back in the day, I think it was the 1920's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma