U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM

160 posts, read 931,125 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in So. CA and will be moving to Edmond, OK in the near future. Just wondering how others have adjusted to their move. Also, have you been able to make friends easily. I am a stay-at-home Mom and plan to look for a play group for my toddlers ages 2yrs and 4yrs. Also, I plan on placing them in preschool so any suggestions as to the best preschool in the area would be appreciated. I have done some research on St. Mary's and Oklahoma Christian School, but have not yet visited. Should I be considering others?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM

77 posts, read 503,737 times
I would like to say sorry for the other oklahomans who havent helped you yet. We are a friendly crowd in oklahoma. Being new to this forum i have realized there is quite a standoff between tulsa and okc. more tulsans use this forum than okcitians. so that is why i am speculating you havent had a response yet. again we are sorry.

Big adjustment. But my father who is a renowned artist was raised in Stockton. Came to OU for MFA and lives in mesta park(inner part of okc). He has adjusted fine although he dislikes the conservative views.

Easy to make friends.

Edmond is a Great place to raise a family. you will find upscale shopping great food-check out boulevard steak house-best in oklahoma.

Schools might be a problem. Edmond has the best public school system in oklahoma. So locals dont need private schools. the best private schools in okc/oklahoma are Casady(google easy to find/will impress)-Heritage Hall- Mt. Saint Marys-McGuiness. I had a friend drive from the outskirts of edmond to McGuiness and he never complained. very good highway system in okc to get you around.

best of luck

Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM

160 posts, read 931,125 times
Thank you for responding, NormanGirl. I really appreciate it. I have already investigated Casady, Heritage, Westminster...etc. Those are in OKC, not Edmond. Seems when I was last in OKC area that all things are close by, but not knowing the area that well just was considering preschools in Edmond. Will most likely use the public schools after that. Why spend money on private schools when the public schools are supposedly exemplary.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,369 times
Default Pre Schools in Edmond?

I too am moving from CA to Edmond. We are looking for great pre-school for our son. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 06:01 AM

5,003 posts, read 14,608,324 times
Since some here are worried about making friends, I can give you a few tips. Oklahomans don't care for Californians because they complain about the lack of culture here in Oklahoma, so never complain. (I am sure New Yorkers, etc. also complain.) Never say we have bad restaurants, no plays, no shopping, etc. When asked where you are from, you can say California but make sure that you always say that you love it here. I just happen to love it here, but it was hard for me when I first moved here because I came from CA. While I was never into doing what many do in CA which is go to plays, etc. I did eat out at some nice restaurants from time to time, and by nice I don't mean expensive, so I missed my favorite Greek restaurant and the tea cottage in Julian, CA. I finally found some restaurants in Tahlequah that are like what I missed, and so I am happy with that. I never went to plays, so I didn't miss that, but I did miss shopping. So restaurants and shopping were what I had to get over. I got catalogs coming in the mail, but I am one that really likes to look more than I like to buy and catalogs don't cut it for me. Still, I have found stores that I truly love, and so I have adjusted. And what you don't have here is a lot of traffic that makes your shopping dreadful. Plus wherever you drive it is just beautiful here in Green Country. I think Guthrie area is beautiful too. And I think it is close to Edmond. But best of all the people are friendly.

Now for making friends. People worry about this if they are not Christian or if they are not fundamentalist Christian. I had people telling me over and over again that this was going to be a problem, and so I joined the Unitarian Church because they are more liberal. Well, I quit the Unitarian group; instead I joined other groups, and these groups do not ask whether you are a Christian or not, and you will not learn what beliefs they have either. Instead they just accept you.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM

533 posts, read 1,608,835 times
Most Oklahomans appreciate honesty, sincerity, and good manners. At the same we are disdainful of shallowness, snobbery, and boorish behavior.

I've also observed over the years that Oklahomans in general are more interested in individuals than groups.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,072,428 times
I have heard good things about St. Mary's Episcopal Preschool, but I have no personal experience there. Here is a link:

[SIZE=-1]More results near Edmond, OK »[/SIZE]

Old 08-05-2007, 01:12 PM

66 posts, read 233,136 times
Most HUMANS appreciate honesty, sincerity, and good manners. (Of course, I say this while I don't have the pleasure of actually knowing most humans!) Why limit this to whatever "Oklahomans" are defined to be?

Hi, guys, and welcome to Edmond. I don't have children, so I can't help you with the preschool recommendation. I can tell you that Edmond is one of the more expensive areas in the metro area, but even there, you will find the prices here a steal compared to what you're used to on the east or west coast! You may have also noticed that it gets extremely hot here, too. So, if you're bringing a car without air conditioning, trade it immediately!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,137 times
Default Here's the scoop on moving to Edmond..

Edmond is a great place to live. We moved here about 3 months ago from Tucson, Az. It's so green here and we bought a beautiful house high on hill just outside of Edmond..east of I-35. Everyone is so friendly...LOve It!,LOve It!!!!!......BUT!!!! Huge mistake for us! We left are grown children and 4 grandkids in Tucson...What were we thinking!!!WE miss them so....Guess we had some crazy idea of retirement in a new place. You can get a huge gorgeous home for a lot less than you would pay in Arizona or California. We wish we could move the house and land to Arizona.....but that's not going to happen! Anyway we listed the house for sale..last Sunday! Yep...were going back HOME! Anybody need a house...only occupied for 3mo's? Our grandkids are so happy we are coming home....our youngest is 3 and tells everyone her Grammy moved to Hoklahoma....WE need to go home..........

Old 08-06-2007, 07:09 AM

533 posts, read 1,608,835 times
Family is always the best reason to live someplace for me. Best wishes on your move and hope your home sells quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma