Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM

118 posts, read 289,955 times

Advertisements

You know I grew up in Church, and most of my life I went to Church. Except maybe 5 yrs between 15 & 20yrs old. And I can say I think I know the Bible pretty well, not no Bible scholar by any means, or even claim to be. But have done a lot of study of the word of God. And today I go to Church and listen to the Preachers & Evangelist, but it seem's to me as if they all have left what the word of God say's, and stepped off into left field. Now I can't, or even have enought space here to express what they preach. But anyway does anyone else feel the same as I do. I would like to hear from anyone even Preachers that might have a remark on what I'm saying. I dont know if they will allow my e-mail on here but I would give it to any one for chat on this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin847 View Post
.......... it seem's to me as if they all have left what the word of God say's, and stepped off into left field. ..................
more like right field............

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 PM

35 posts, read 74,468 times
A little more specific?

EG

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
You know I grew up in Church, and most of my life I went to Church. Except maybe 5 yrs between 15 & 20yrs old. And I can say I think I know the Bible pretty well, not no Bible scholar by any means, or even claim to be. But have done a lot of study of the word of God. And today I go to Church and listen to the Preachers & Evangelist, but it seem's to me as if they all have left what the word of God say's, and stepped off into left field. Now I can't, or even have enought space here to express what they preach. But anyway does anyone else feel the same as I do. I would like to hear from anyone even Preachers that might have a remark on what I'm saying. I dont know if they will allow my e-mail on here but I would give it to any one for chat on this conversation.
Agreed. It is very common today for many popular preachers to tell stories as a way of connecting with their audience. Not totally bad, but, in my opinion, it generally amounts to weak preaching.

There is a lot (A LOT!) less pure explanation of the Scriptures compared to the good ol' days. Just listen to classic expositors like James Vernon McGee or W.A. Criswell, etc. and you'll see how weak the preaching and teaching of the Scriptures (for the most part) is in our day.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,582 times
Stepping off into the left field?

Good! This means they're joining the 21st century.

Since you're in Norman, I think you'll have to get used to more liberal preachers.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
I gave up on Churches years ago.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM

118 posts, read 289,955 times
a little more specific, OK, Had a visiting Evangelist talking about all his ministry that was fine, but then he went on to tell how much fun he had site seeing, parasailing, so on I thought he took up the offerings to be an Evangelist not a vacationer. Also those who tell about all the miracles that happen in their ministries in other places, but don't see the handi capped in our church recieve any, Jesus healed a man in Matt.17:14-21 and his disciples ask why could we not heal this man, he told them it takes prayer and fasting, this man came to be healed, he had faith or he would not have been there. But today if a person don't get healed by the person praying for them, the preacher or the person praying for them say's, because it your lack of faith. I say it's the lack of faith and prayer & fasting on the preacher part. Why do they lay blame on the needy.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM

936 posts, read 2,061,001 times
Quote:
a little more specific, OK, Had a visiting Evangelist talking about all his ministry that was fine, but then he went on to tell how much fun he had site seeing, parasailing, so on I thought he took up the offerings to be an Evangelist not a vacationer. Also those who tell about all the miracles that happen in their ministries in other places, but don't see the handi capped in our church recieve any, Jesus healed a man in Matt.17:14-21 and his disciples ask why could we not heal this man, he told them it takes prayer and fasting, this man came to be healed, he had faith or he would not have been there. But today if a person don't get healed by the person praying for them, the preacher or the person praying for them say's, because it your lack of faith. I say it's the lack of faith and prayer & fasting on the preacher part. Why do they lay blame on the needy.
They may subscribe to the "health and wealth" version of the gospel.

I think they may have forgotten Matthew 19:24, that "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eve of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God". They take for a blessing what is really a test. Because when you have wealth, not only can you escape responsibility for your actions, you can indulge all your flaws and vices.

Just my opinion....

Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
They may subscribe to the "health and wealth" version of the gospel.

I think they may have forgotten Matthew 19:24, that "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eve of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God". They take for a blessing what is really a test. Because when you have wealth, not only can you escape responsibility for your actions, you can indulge all your flaws and vices.

Just my opinion....
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma