Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,518,168 times

Advertisements

With the economy the way it is, I thought about reminding people about affordable ways to spay/neuter your cat or dog through various OK county resources. Click on the link below and it will provide you with each OK county and resource assistance within the county. SpayOK - Low cost spay/neuter program (http://www.spayok.org/okspayneuter.htm - broken link)

Spay and neutering is the only way to end our pet over-population crisis. We need to educate people on the importance of spay and neutering. It's our tax payer dollars that pay for the thousands of animals euthanized a year here in Oklahoma...because there are not enough homes. So please encourage people to be responsible pet owners and have their pets altered. Most of these programs offer rates of $35.00 to fix a dog if your income meets program guidlines. They also offer really cheap rates for people who trap feral cats and you don't have to meet income requirements for altering feral cats.

If you are over income guidlines please view this link and read under general public for more affordable rates Spay / Neuter Assistance Oklahoma

Please spread the word to those who you need or benefit from this information. Anyone who may need additional information, please ask me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,830 times
Renee Hammer Vet in Pryor Ok offers inexpensive spay/neuter as her regular price. If you can't find help through the links in original post, I suggest anyone look her up. She's an excellent vet.

Not a paid advertisement, just a satisfied customer.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Default S/N Can Be Performed Safely As Early As 6-8 Weeks.

Waiting till your pets are 6 months old to spay/neuter is now considered an old school belief. Pets as young as 6-8 weeks old (depending upon weight) can be spayed/neutered without any health complications long term due to early s/n. Long term health complications used to be the agrument against early s/n. The younger they are the quicker and faster they bounce back and can help avoid potential behavioral issues due to hormones.

Here's an article by Richard Allen, DVM at Best Friends in Kanab,Utah. This link also provides a list of additional articles one can reference for further readings on early s/n. When you read important information as s/n on websites, please make sure you are reading articles and information from licensed veterinarians and not a layperson's opinion. http://www.pbrc.net/misc/juvenilespayneuter.pdf

If anyone has any additional questions on any additional needed literature or state information regarding s/n please just ask!

Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
I personally would not do s/n that early as the organs are tiny, but more than this, at 8 weejs they are still babies. I prefer to wait for a minimum of 100 days to give my pet a healthy start in life. I want to see eating, drinking, playing, sleeping and processing waste normally before my pet has major surgery.

My vets are opposed to really young s/n patients because, as one doc put it, "the organs are tiny. It is too easy to damage a nearby organ and leave a pet with a lifetime of health problemsn." I let my vet make the determination at what age my pet is ready for the knife.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:41 PM

Most importantly...I wanted this thread to be about affordable s/n in our state! If anyone has an affordable s/n option in their area that was not listed on the inital links, please add it to this thread...just as a previous poster did. Thanks for helping others out by sharing county resources on this important topic.

But, I also feel compelled to address concerns with facts. I like this website it addresses the concerns of early s/n. It is out of Ohio, but if you scroll down there is some wonderful information including what all national groups support early s/n and additional professional journal articles and research. Early Spay & Neuter

And here's another helpful website and resource:
Early (Pediatric) Spay/Neuter

Last edited by Amazonchix; 02-26-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma