Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Someone said you get the pull to where you grew up as you get older. Sorry but for me that place doesn't exist anymore.
You aren't the only one. When we first left AK, we went to STL because there were great medical facilities, teaching hospitals, etc., and I had family there. As it turned out, my family just assumed that every place was just like STL, and never bothered to talk about the changes that had taken place after I left. Stuff like you couldn't buy a fixer-upper and live in it while fixing it up because you couldn't move in without a CO which you couldn't get until the 'fixing' was done, there were NO medical facilities available for anyone who didn't belong to an HMO, lawns had to be cut on certain days because there were certain days that lawn wastes were picked up [composting was illegal], houses could only be painted certain colors according to the HOA, no one could fence in a front yard so their dog would be a 'watch dog' [people could only buy alarm systems if they were concerned about intruders], and a host of other things. What finally did it for me was seeing a pile of garbage bags on sale in a local store, along with a list of which communities had ordinances that approved them. When it gets to the point where a trash bag has to meet with a town's approval, I'm outta there.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 AM

12 posts, read 22,183 times
I'm really sorry to hear Stillwater feels that way. Oklahoma and it folks are not backwards by any means. Some areas time may have skimmed over, but that is a good thing. For the state and people. We have a few spots here in NH, and it is so refreshing. You almost feel like a time warp has occurred.
The people I have encountered in OK are friendly, sweet, and polite. Confident in themselves but not huge egos.
Backward to me denotes ignorences. That is not Oklahoma!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapp49 View Post
The people I have encountered in OK are friendly, sweet, and polite.
Next time you are here, give me a call.......I'll be glad to prove you wrong.........

Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
HA! Ask any native Texan if they like their state sometime when you have 127 hours to listen to them rave about it.
SO true! Texans love their own little country and are d**n proud of it

Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapp49 View Post
I'm really sorry to hear Stillwater feels that way. Oklahoma and it folks are not backwards by any means. Some areas time may have skimmed over, but that is a good thing. For the state and people. We have a few spots here in NH, and it is so refreshing. You almost feel like a time warp has occurred.
The people I have encountered in OK are friendly, sweet, and polite. Confident in themselves but not huge egos.
Backward to me denotes ignorences. That is not Oklahoma!!!!!!!!!!!
Oklahoma gets a bad rap for being "backward" and I've heard from many out of staters that some people think Oklahoma is still full of wagons....lol. While we lag behind a bit in our politics, I wouldn't classify Oklahoma as being backward at all. I've lived here my whole life and am gearing up to move out of state in September, and while I'm going to a beautiful place, it's brought to mind all the wonderful things about living here, like spring and summertime thunderstorms, wheatfields, friendly neighbors (I could go on and on) To all of those who are unhappy here: life is too short to be unhappy, so try to find the place that makes you feel at home

Old 02-26-2009, 04:39 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Next time you are here, give me a call.......I'll be glad to prove you wrong.........
He ain't kidding ................

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I agree with GP and Schousse. Oklahoma is no different than any other state. We have our share of ~loonies~. But enough about me and my friends.

We do have some very poor backwoods types that you would swear came out of a movie. That is not an exaggeration.

Still, you cannot judge the entire state by a few. And the OP is about those chronic complainers who are wedded to unhappiness.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Go to the Kansas forum sometime and see all the "I hate conservative/christians/kansas post's lol

Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I agree with GP and Schousse. Oklahoma is no different than any other state. We have our share of ~loonies~. But enough about me and my friends.

We do have some very poor backwoods types that you would swear came out of a movie. That is not an exaggeration.

Still, you cannot judge the entire state by a few. And the OP is about those chronic complainers who are wedded to unhappiness.
Ya! But you have to admit that its those colorful type of folks that make life so interesting . Just think of it as, "They just have thier own kind of class" and they seem to be happy with it.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
This state has far better people than California, by far. I've been welcomed with open arms and have been given a ridiculous amount of Dr. Peppers (diet and regular).

Seriously though, what's up with Texas? Do Texans not like their state anymore because I see an abundance of Texas plates driving around. All that geographic area and they still sneak up the I-35, what's going on down there?
When I moved here the manager said a lot of people get Texas plates in Oklahoma because it's cheaper. Even if it is cheaper (I haven't checked), it's not worth the hassle (at least to me). If I drive down to Texas, getting the car inspected is not on my desired to-do list.

That being said, I'll chime in and say Oklahoma is not where I want to be, and I'll keeping my eyes open to leaving (and moving to DFW), but Oklahoma is 1000x times better than California. I like Texas better, but in many regards it is like Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma