U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to relocate and have been considering FL or TX. I want warm weather but his passion is hunting (kinda knocked out FL) Lately he keeps throwing out Oklahoma. I don't know the first thing about Oklahoma. We are not retired and would need to find jobs. Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 PM

491 posts, read 1,400,231 times
Hunting in the state is great. We are blessed with good habitat and are supported by our state government and agencies. I am a writer and have done a story about deer farming in the state. I am working on one (with a Friday deadline) about the hunting/outfitting business in OK as part of the agritourism industry.

The biggest problem a hunter will come across here is finding land. We are between 2-5%(depending who you ask) public land. The other 95% is privately owned. Land owners have found that they can charge exorbitant amounts and lease land to hunters. If you are not a landowner, the best bet is to find a buddy that has land or get together a group to lease land. Unless you're rich. In that case you should just hire an outfitter.

Let me know if you have any questions about hunting in the state. It's one of my interests.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,448 times
Default Hunting & jobs in Oklahoma

Thanks so much for replying and for the info. Sounds a little bit like TX, not much public land to hunt on. That might pose some problems as we aren't "rich". I think he watches too many of those cable hunting shows What he really needs is a job on one of those ranches. Well, I haven't ruled out Oklahoma yet. Guess I need to do more investigating.
Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 PM

491 posts, read 1,400,231 times
According to a source for this most recent story, there is a demand for ranch employees. I would guess that for someone starting out the pay wouldn't be too thrilling, though.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM

11,884 posts, read 35,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
I am a writer and have done a story about deer farming in the state. I am working on one (with a Friday deadline)
I'm a writer as well, and you had better hit that deadline sister!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:52 PM

11,539 posts, read 28,673,821 times
Depending where you hunt, you might find yourself on tribal land - which is another issue. You would almost be better off bying 40 uninproved acres in the hills. Make sure it is surveyed. Most realtors do not know where property lines are located. Did that three times. Build a primitive cabin, buy a 4x4, rent in town and only pay county taxes on one. There is a lot of land like that up around Grand Lake. .

Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 AM

25 posts, read 108,811 times
I know this thread is a few months old but still Living here in southern Oklahoma i would have to disagree a little about land to hunt on.
Look south of Wister and you will see on any map we have a tremendous amount of public hinting land that is well managed from duck ponds to turkey fields, the amount of whitetails will make any hunter drool. Our recent Black bear season was a success. On average during hunting season
on the public lands where i hunt i will see 3-5 vehicles parked at the entrance and i might see one guy in the woods. there ate thousands of acres to spread out. And as far as work force this are needs people that are willing to work hard and do quality work epically in the construction fields and handyman work.

will agree with linicx, always get land surveyed i use advanced GPS and Ariel images to give my customers the pest possible idea of where the property lies.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,056 times
Default Move to Mo.

[quote=Bella_Scout;7735944]Hi,

We just retired in june and moved to sw mo. and truely love it the housing and taxes are cheap lots of hunting and lakes everwhere.and still close to tx and ar. and ok. weather is so much better than Nebraska. If you need any more info let me know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma