Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:19 AM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the evaluations, y'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
They move businesses to a different part of town and leave the old building abandond.
some of the old buildings from the 40s i love even though abandoned.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I'm a country boy by birth and by heart and not much for big cities. But when it comes to my home I take a lot of pride in the way it looks, inside and out. Remember what I said , "that it doesn't take alot of money and a little hard work to make a home look good, and a little paint goes a long way".
I find it funny how people will sit there and complain about not havin any money, but as they are complaining they're smokin a cig and drinking a beer. And probibly blowing money on the slots or the lottery. Most of what we saw was just signs of laziness, not lack of money. Patch a gate here, slap a little paint there, pick up the garbage in the yard, make the kids put thier toys away or throw them away yourself, just simple stuf.
Where my DW and I use to live for a short time, it was like living between Sanford and Son. They had so much junk in thier yards they started to stack it against our privacy fence. That was until I walked around the fence and threw thier junk back into thier yards and got it off MY fence. And I complained to the city that unless they gave them a junkyard permit, they had better do something about it. They obviously said something to them, because the junk was removed.
So most of what I saw was the fault of the cities for not taking a stronger stand to make them clean it up. A nice little college town like Tahlequah would draw lots of people if they would only help each other out a little more by cleaning up THERE HOME TOWN. Those little town are thier homes, not a Waste Management or BFI work site.
They don't call us Okies for nothin.'"

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
They don't call us Okies for nothin.'"
I've always thought that being called an "Okie" was a good thing .

Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I've always thought that being called an "Okie" was a good thing .
Some people in small towns are of the mentality that they don't care or take pride in their homes. You should drive around the small town of Gerty where I'm from; there are literally dozens of houses that have trash in the yard and engine motors hanging from trees and such. I suppose when a small town doesn't have code enforcement, this is what happens. But, that surprises me about Tahlequah.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Some people in small towns are of the mentality that they don't care or take pride in their homes. You should drive around the small town of Gerty where I'm from; there are literally dozens of houses that have trash in the yard and engine motors hanging from trees and such. I suppose when a small town doesn't have code enforcement, this is what happens. But, that surprises me about Tahlequah.
It's not just that. You should have seen some parts of the Ozarks 50-odd years ago. There were a lot of small cabins - hard to think of them as houses - where the fridge and washer sat on the front porch, partly because there just wasn't room inside, and partly to show off what they had to the neighbors. And some of the poorer rural folks are incredible recyclers. Old bedsprings make great stakes for beans and pea vines, and patch fences. I've also seen, and not all that long ago, fences that were built of old wooden pallets, though I will say the best of them were all painted and looked very nice. Then there are drums from old washers and dryers, those make wonderful planters for things that need to be sheltered in the winter, or they can be tuned up a bit to use for strawberries. It's a different way of looking at things, and how one stores the raw materials.

But there's also that lack of pride and some blind spots as well. I've seen people who paid 50K and up for a mobile home ignore it until it needed to be repainted, but they'd be outside at least every week washing and waxing their vehicles. I always thought it would have been a lot more useful to wash down the MH instead of the vehicle, but that might be because I was always driving on muddy, sandy beaches and unpaved roads.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:29 AM

just that i drive around tahlequah all the time, and there isn't trash in people's yards except on garbage day, and homes and lawns are kept up really nice. i don't know where seabeebolt was when he saw all this stuff? downtown is kept up nicely too. sure some bldg. are closed but the windows are not broken out like much of muskogee. so i was being facetious with my okie comment. The trashy yards i see are mostly going out of town. So the reason why synopsis is surprised about Tahlequah. People take pride in this city.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 AM

Default What?

Quote:
just that i drive around tahlequah all the time, and there isn't trash in people's yards except on garbage day, and homes and lawns are kept up really nice. i don't know where seabeebolt was when he saw all this stuff? downtown is kept up nicely too. sure some bldg. are closed but the windows are not broken out like much of muskogee. so i was being facetious with my okie comment. The trashy yards i see are mostly going out of town. So the reason why synopsis is surprised about Tahlequah. People take pride in this city.
Mattie Jo,

We were back around the side of town, behind the college where there is a home for sale that looks like a castle, A charming looking bldg if you ask me . And yes, there were "some cars" up on blocks trash in the yards, fences and homes that needed repaired and attention. We did drive around the otherside of town "very nice" and down town "not all that bad". I never said a thing about "broken store wondow", so I don't know where you got that from. And you are right about the fact the Muskogee isn't much better, thats why I said that we were going to keep looking a liitle bit longer.

We "my wife and I" don't like to look at just the up scale side of town, we look at ALL areas of the town, you get a better scope of things that way. It shows alot about how city council pays attention on whats going on outside of there offices that the tax payers dished out for. People don't seem to uderstand that the whole town can effect you real-estate value and not just in your neighborhood. When you push to keep your city looking nice, it has a habit of keeping the trash out, the ghettos. And please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Tahlequah was "Ghetto". We don't live in a big expensive home, but what we do have we take a lot of pride in it and we work hard to keep it that way. Thats one of the reasons why I said that a little hard work and some paint can go a long way to cover a multitude of sins.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:16 PM

oh, so you were in a bad section of town. most of it isn't like that, but there are areas.

what i meant by broken windows is that muskogee downtown has a lot of empty bldgs. with broken windows, which is something i have not seen in tahlequah.

oklahoma is a very poor state, and so i am sure that muskogee can't afford to fix up their downtown. few towns here can, and wallie world takes over, people lose their businesses. i saw a lot of boarded up small towns in texas. we were wanting to check out the small towns and were always disappointed.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
oh, so you were in a bad section of town. most of it isn't like that, but there are areas.

what i meant by broken windows is that muskogee downtown has a lot of empty bldgs. with broken windows, which is something i have not seen in tahlequah.

oklahoma is a very poor state, and so i am sure that muskogee can't afford to fix up their downtown. few towns here can, and wallie world takes over, people lose their businesses. i saw a lot of boarded up small towns in texas. we were wanting to check out the small towns and were always disappointed.
Thats one of the reasons why we like to look at the town as a whole and not just the good parts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma