Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I rarely buy anything off the Internet, except for prescription drugs...
I do, depending on what it is. There's no bird food here suitable for a cockatoo, so I buy his on line, and some food items that aren't sold in stores here, like nori and sweet rice. I've gotten cell phone batteries too, that was the first thing I ever bought new - back when I had Verizon, a new battery from their store was 37.95, and the same battery on line was 2.95. I'm all in favor of supporting local merchants, but not to that extent, especially when the store was 25 miles away and I'd have to pay for the ride as well.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I suppose if I lived in an area where everything wasn't so readily available like it is here, I would do the same. I can think of nothing that I can't buy in this area because there is a store for everything. For electronics and computers, I can go to Frye's Electronics and get things cheaper than I can on ebay or any other online site.

The same goes for just about everything else. I guess we are spoiled living in an area with 6.5 million people, although THAT part of it I'm not too happy about (too many folks, even if they are decent!)...

I'd trade the convenience to live in a rural area any day though...

Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Not me. Living in a rural area means muddy roads to put up with and get stuck on unless your area rural roads are asphalted. In the winter more driving to do on dangerous slick roads when getting to work. If the power goes out due to a winter storm, it may take up to a week or more to get the power restored. There's also a bigger threat to getting your house burnt down due to wildfires. And most anything is too far away to get to by just walking to it. Further more, if you got allergies to pollen the suffering is gonna be worse in the country. No wonder, I much prefer keeping with in city living.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Not me. Living in a rural area means muddy roads to put up with and get stuck on unless your area rural roads are asphalted. In the winter more driving to do on dangerous slick roads when getting to work. If the power goes out due to a winter storm, it may take up to a week or more to get the power restored. There's also a bigger threat to getting your house burnt down due to wildfires. And most anything is too far away to get to by just walking to it. Further more, if you got allergies to pollen the suffering is gonna be worse in the country. No wonder, I much prefer keeping with in city living.

I spent the first 25 years of my life trying to leave rural life. I've spent the last 22 years trying to get back to that life.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yeah, I can see your point. But, it's not as bad as you make out.

There's a new invention called gravel, it's not a mud bath out here. . Very very rare to have a rural dirt road that is not driveable during rains or winter. The well traveled dirt roads are graveled and graded regularly.

If the black top roads are that slick from ice, they are slick all over Oklahoma. If it is real bad, we don't drive.

The power never stays out long unless it is a severe ice storm, then everyone's power goes out, even in the city. Ours stayed out 10 days once in the past 10 years from an ice storm. Never went out since 2000.

Our houses are not burning down left and right, because wildfires are in the pasture and most of us have green grass around our houses (or trailers) which we keep short and for the most part green until late august.

Not being able to walk to the store does not affect our quality of life. We simply drive to the store as do most city folks. And personally I like to take my GSD for walks both on the back forty and at the park or Lake.

The pollen is the same all over Oklahoma whether you are in the city or in the country. We are indoors most of the time, just like city folks, unless you have a job working outdoors. If allergies bother you, they will bother just as much in OKC as in Sasakwa.
For me, no city is worth putting up with the annoyances that go along with the conveniences of having a hamburger stand or store within walkable distance.

I get so sick of gang banger thugs, loud car stereos with megabass speakers, traffic and hordes of people. Not to mention next door neighbors within a stone's throw.

The only real issue I have is going Seminole or Shawnee to see a movie. The rest of the issues you raise are not an issue for me at all.

To each his own.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
I can't help thinking what percentage of the people who were FOR the tea parties have government or otherwise secure jobs/pensions, etc.

Just sayin'

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I can't help thinking what percentage of the people who were FOR the tea parties have government or otherwise secure jobs/pensions, etc.

Just sayin'
Try not to think about it. You'll just give yourself an ulcer.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

I get so sick of gang banger thugs, loud car stereos with megabass speakers, traffic and hordes of people. Not to mention next door neighbors within a stone's throw.

To each his own.
Amen. Living 10 miles from the nearest supermarket means I have to have a well stocked pantry and plan ahead with a shopping list for the next time I go to town. Or make do with what I do have. It also means that if I need to run out to the laundry line nekkid to get my clothes, I can. We can pee off the porch (well, some of us can) and sit on thescreened in porch at night and hear the crickets.

Sure, there are some minor inconveniences living in the country, but I wouldn't trade it for city life ever.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Try not to think about it. You'll just give yourself an ulcer.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
It also means that if I need to run out to the laundry line nekkid to get my clothes, I can.
Two words; Google Earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma