Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times

Advertisements

Because of heavy snow and blizzard conditions in the state, Gov. Brad Henry today declared a state of emergency for 50 counties in the state.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3356773/

Y'all stay safe out there!! I've been hearing chatter on the scanner that Medi-Flight (which we rely on heavily down here) has been grounded due to the weather...and the worst of it hasn't even arrived yet.

Hubby is scheduled to be out most of the weekend sanding roads.

Take Care! We have Spring/Summer Okie get togethers to plan!! *HUGS*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
I'm staying off the road as much as possible.............even if Stephens County isn't listed.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Wow. It's cool down here but I haven't seen snow for three or four years.

I do have to say that you will probably only get a few inches of snow, so how does that constitute an emergency?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:00 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
I like MK's idea about staying off the roads. It does look like there'll be a good snowfall in the western part of the state, BUT tonight or tomorrow eastern OK is supposed to get hit. It doesn't look like they'll get much snow, but ICE. Stay safe!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

I do have to say that you will probably only get a few inches of snow, so how does that constitute an emergency?

heh.. coming from where i did, i found this slightly humorous as well..

Last edited by J double R; 03-27-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I think it is a wise move. After all, we are warm and snug at home, while the panhandle is getting what 8-12 inches of snow in a 12 hour period? Maybe declaring a state of emergency opens the door for calling on National Guard troops or funds to clean up the aftermath. I don't know, just guessing here.

Drifts in the Panhandle too high for snowplows

Posted at 1:45pm

Snowdrifts are too high for a snowplow in Texas County 7 miles east of Guymon on US 412, said Harold Tyson, county emergency management director. Tyson said he was headed to the area to take photographs about 2 p.m. Boise CIty — The snow has not let up in Boise City this afternoon. “It’s snowing and blowing really hard,” said Cliff White, Cimarron County emergency management director. “We’ve had quite an accumulation in the last few hours,” he said about 2 p.m. “We’ve got drifts as high as the roofs of houses,” White said.

Guymon News, Weather, Sports, Entertainment Travel | MainStreetOK.com/Guymon

Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I think it is a wise move. After all, we are warm and snug at home, while the panhandle is getting what 8-12 inches of snow in a 12 hour period? Maybe declaring a state of emergency opens the door for calling on National Guard troops or funds to clean up the aftermath. I don't know, just guessing here.

Drifts in the Panhandle too high for snowplows

Posted at 1:45pm

Snowdrifts are too high for a snowplow in Texas County 7 miles east of Guymon on US 412, said Harold Tyson, county emergency management director. Tyson said he was headed to the area to take photographs about 2 p.m. Boise CIty — The snow has not let up in Boise City this afternoon. “It’s snowing and blowing really hard,” said Cliff White, Cimarron County emergency management director. “We’ve had quite an accumulation in the last few hours,” he said about 2 p.m. “We’ve got drifts as high as the roofs of houses,” White said.

Yep, they got it bad up there...Hubby said his ODOT div sent a couple of trucks and about 12 people up there to help out.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

Actually checking the Guymon papers it looks like they already have drifts as high as rooftops and they are expecting 22 inches of snow...

According to the OHP the following roads have been closed:
All Cimarron County roads.
All Beaver County roads.
US HWY 412 east and west of Guymon to the New Mexico state line to Fort Supply in Woodward County.
US HWY 64 from Beaver County to Buffalo in Harper County.

Beaver and Texas County Emergency Management offices report that US HWYS 412, 83, and 54 are closed throughout the Panhandle due to low visibility and blowing snow. They are expected to remain closed thorughout the night.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:32 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
And...

"Approximately 4100 Tri-County Electric meters have lost power by Friday afternoon. Outages are concentrated in the rural areas of the system."

4100 meters in a predominantly rural area is significant.

UPDATE: Powers on. I like the reporter's comment. He said keep telling yourself, "it's only moisture, it's only moisture."

Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Wow. It's amazing the differences between a couple of hundred miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma