Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Coyotes are not nearly as large as wolves, so most good sized dogs would have nothing to worry about right? I think the largest ones (in Oklahoma) would weigh in at 35 pounds or so. I do know in the Northern states they get up to nearly 80 pounds, which is HUGE, but in Oklahoma are they that big of a concern for your average Lab or other large dog?
If a pair gang up on one dog, they can do a lot of damage. A lot of dogs just aren't fighters, they've been bred to work in packs like hounds. Worse, IMO, are the coyote mixes. There was a litter reported around 12 years ago in either TN of KY, 8 pups that were half rottweiler and did not at all like people. I had a friend many years ago who had a coy-dingo in MT, and when she finally left home, she had to have it put down. It was perfectly fine with her, but totally untrustworthy with anyone else, including her family, who it had grown up around. And it hasn't been all that long since a coyote yanked a little dog, complete with it's leash, away from the owner in one of the parks in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
This is a repeat, but we talked to a guy who was walking his wiener dog along the country road just outside OKC, and a coyote came out and tried to get his dog right in front of him! While the dog was on a leash!

He had a pistol and took a shot at the coyote, but missed. Our little red dog was either half coyote or half red fox according to the vet. She was never tame and obeyed no fence line. She would put her head down and take off running and never look back.

We kept one pup, the only black pup of her litter because she rejected it. She would only raise the red ones.

And she never slept in a dog house. Always burrowed underneath them.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
If a pair gang up on one dog, they can do a lot of damage. A lot of dogs just aren't fighters, they've been bred to work in packs like hounds. Worse, IMO, are the coyote mixes. There was a litter reported around 12 years ago in either TN of KY, 8 pups that were half rottweiler and did not at all like people. I had a friend many years ago who had a coy-dingo in MT, and when she finally left home, she had to have it put down. It was perfectly fine with her, but totally untrustworthy with anyone else, including her family, who it had grown up around. And it hasn't been all that long since a coyote yanked a little dog, complete with it's leash, away from the owner in one of the parks in Seattle.
Good points kari. Coyotes, from what I understand, are very aggressive and not afraid of humans. Even here in a city of nearly 7 million people, there are areas with little population, and coyotes are abundant, (like near the DFW airport where there are hundreds of acres of unpopulated land). Even in the mid-cities where I live there are large pockets of land that would support a small population of coyotes. It's amazing how adaptable these animals are.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:38 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Good Morning Oklahoma!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
Coyotes are generally afraid of humans but in drought years or other harsh weather, they get braver and braver because they're hungry.

Coyotes WILL try to trick dogs by baiting them with one coyote while the rest of the pack hides. Then they gang up.

Coy-dogs are a bad deal, I think, because they are bigger and less afraid of people but they still have that wild streak.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM

We saw a pickup truck with two wolves in back at the gas station outside Wewoka. They weren't tied up or anything. And although beautiful beyond description, they looked very intimidating! Very large wolves, I don't remember if they were half-breeds or not.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:53 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
We saw a pickup truck with two wolves in back at the gas station outside Wewoka. They weren't tied up or anything. And although beautiful beyond description, they looked very intimidating! Very large wolves, I don't remember if they were half-breeds or not.
There were always several where I lived in AK, though they were supposed to be hybrids. But calling it a 97% hybrid is kind of ridiculous, it's the real thing. All the ones I knew were friendly and sociable, but they were also mouthy - like a lot of labs - and because of that, were blamed for 'biting' various people. I should say, various people complained about it, since they didn't know any better. My son asked me if I wanted to foster a particular one, a gorgeous intact male, but I wouldn't consider it unless he was neutered and my son's friend, who actually owned him, wanted to keep him intact and use him for breeding eventually, so I didn't get him. Besides, he was big enough and agile enough to bounce right over the fence if he'd smelled a female in heat, and he'd probably have killed any other males around then.

But I really don't believe in keeping any wild animals as pets. It's one thing to rescue and provide a safe haven, it's another to keep on breeding them in captivity, just to satisfy someone's idea of being different from their neighbors.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:51 PM

178 posts, read 489,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
There were always several where I lived in AK, though they were supposed to be hybrids. But calling it a 97% hybrid is kind of ridiculous, it's the real thing. All the ones I knew were friendly and sociable, but they were also mouthy - like a lot of labs - and because of that, were blamed for 'biting' various people. I should say, various people complained about it, since they didn't know any better. My son asked me if I wanted to foster a particular one, a gorgeous intact male, but I wouldn't consider it unless he was neutered and my son's friend, who actually owned him, wanted to keep him intact and use him for breeding eventually, so I didn't get him. Besides, he was big enough and agile enough to bounce right over the fence if he'd smelled a female in heat, and he'd probably have killed any other males around then.

But I really don't believe in keeping any wild animals as pets. It's one thing to rescue and provide a safe haven, it's another to keep on breeding them in captivity, just to satisfy someone's idea of being different from their neighbors.
So many people take on these animals because they think 'it's cool' to have a wolf. Then when they see how much more difficult it is than raising a domestic animal, the wolf is either abandoned or killed. I've seen it happen time and time again. If someone takes on this kind of responsibility, it should be for the life of the animal. I've had many many people ask me that if I ever breed mine, they want a cub. I just tell them "I'm sorry, but no". "I don't breed my animals". I give them a safe environment and lots of love. Also very secure fencing for the safety of others. My first wolf rescue was many years ago. A very young cub who's mother had been killed on the highway. Had we not taken him, he would not have survived. It takes alot of dedication, time and patience. Lots and lots of patience. And it's very expensive. But it's also very rewarding. It takes alot for them to trust a human, but once they do, they're loyal for life. However, I would not recommend wolf rescue for most people. They are destructive and will always be wild. It takes trust and respect from both the wolf and the human. The two I have now have been with me for about 5 years and we have mutual respect for each other. We also have a bond that's beyond words. They're very territorial and my Comanche would protect me with all he had. I can look in his eyes and know what he's feeling. I love them deeply. I can't imagine myself 'not' having one near me.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:06 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Old 05-09-2009, 03:20 PM

Do they ride in the back of the pickup? Maybe that was you I saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Moon View Post
So many people take on these animals because they think 'it's cool' to have a wolf. Then when they see how much more difficult it is than raising a domestic animal, the wolf is either abandoned or killed. I've seen it happen time and time again. If someone takes on this kind of responsibility, it should be for the life of the animal. I've had many many people ask me that if I ever breed mine, they want a cub. I just tell them "I'm sorry, but no". "I don't breed my animals". I give them a safe environment and lots of love. Also very secure fencing for the safety of others. My first wolf rescue was many years ago. A very young cub who's mother had been killed on the highway. Had we not taken him, he would not have survived. It takes alot of dedication, time and patience. Lots and lots of patience. And it's very expensive. But it's also very rewarding. It takes alot for them to trust a human, but once they do, they're loyal for life. However, I would not recommend wolf rescue for most people. They are destructive and will always be wild. It takes trust and respect from both the wolf and the human. The two I have now have been with me for about 5 years and we have mutual respect for each other. We also have a bond that's beyond words. They're very territorial and my Comanche would protect me with all he had. I can look in his eyes and know what he's feeling. I love them deeply. I can't imagine myself 'not' having one near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma