U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM

68 posts, read 133,948 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite thing about the McAlester area? I haven't been there in years, but I really enjoyed the peacful vibe of McAlester. I loved how green it was. Everyone I ever met their was terribly friendly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM

1,789 posts, read 3,960,269 times
Well, I have lived in the area for 10 years now. I have friends but I wouldn't call this place friendly. Now, we own a ranch 20 miles out and I believe it is a very pretty ranch. The area is pretty but you will find a lot of people that doub't care about how their place looks so you see trash. That bothers me. You also have had the oil/gas companies destroy a lot of the area with their pipe lines and truck traffic. We bought this ranch because it was so quiet. Well, maybe after the trucks leave the area it will be quiet again. Of course, you do know the main reason for McAlester's survival is the oil companies. Not wanting to paint a bad picture but I've seen changes in the last 10 years and not for the good.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 AM

491 posts, read 1,372,993 times
I have always thought that was kind of a rough town but I've never lived there.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 AM

I guess you could say it is Heather. Actually, I am in your town a lot. Both my girls live there. Well, because of OSU and their husbands graduated from OSU too.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 AM

379 posts, read 671,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama View Post
What is your favorite thing about the McAlester area? I haven't been there in years, but I really enjoyed the peacful vibe of McAlester. I loved how green it was. Everyone I ever met their was terribly friendly.

Petes Place Krebs Oklahoma is my favorite place in the McAlester area. Robbers Cave Fall Festival is another...

Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 PM

25,712 posts, read 25,628,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownmama View Post

Ive been there a couple of times and agree with you. People are downright friendly, very hospitable and my stays there were very pleasant. Lawton, on the other hand, wasnt very impressive, at least the part I stayed at out there last time.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 AM

Pete's place is way over priced now. I took my parents there Sunday after Church and four 4 spagetti meals which I've always enjoyed but come on just spagetti, meatballs, ravoli and a iceburg lettuce with nothing on it salad. The dinner without any drinks, we had water, came to 80 dollars with tax and I am not sure that included tip or not. It is 15 bucks a person now withour tax, tip or drink. Now, if you want something different and not the cheapest thing on the menu it would run lots more.

I do like robbers cave but that is in Wilburton which is at least 45 minutes away.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:54 AM

1,488 posts, read 4,893,113 times
We ate in Krebs traveling through last year but can't remember name of place.....one of the Italian places was closed; the other one was in an old building that looked like it might have been a funeral home in the past. Did we eat at Pete's?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Yes, you probably did. Now there are a couple of Italian restaurants in Krebs. If you ate in a private room it was Petes.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,187 times
Pete's is a wonderful restaurant in Kreb's. It is very much a "special event" restaurant. Not some place you would go every day mainly because it has always been a bit expensive. Living in this part of the state we don't have many "special event" restaurants. There isn't any place "nice" outside of Tulsa and OKC to go for a Valentine's Date or something like that...besides maybe Western Sizzlion or Golden Corral and I don't consider them "special event" places. We went to Pete's Place on our Wedding Night... since we couldn't leave till the following weekend for our Honeymoon. We also go there for our Anniversary every year.

My Favorite thing about McAlester? It is close to Checotah/Eufaula. HOMEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited by okpondlady; 04-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: spell check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma