Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM

28 posts, read 47,146 times

Advertisements

I would like to inquire about the local Oklahoman geography. Primarily, viable spots for hiking, rock climbing, running, cycling, sky diving, extreme ironing, any outdoor or perhaps a combination of the aforementioned. Keeping in mind that I've already been to the Witchita Mountains, lake Stanley draper, and lake Hefner quite a bit. Hopefully something not to far away from Tinker...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,804,890 times
Your best bet for hiking, rock climbing and such would probably be the Wichita Mountains if you are looking for proximity to OkC/Midwest City. Northeastern and Southeastern Oklahoma would be your best bet for rock climbing, aside from the Wichita Mountains, which are a huge hotspot for rock climbing.

"Extreme Ironing?" I have a lot of ironing that needs to be done in preparation for my job interview on Friday. Feel free to come on down and have at it!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,350,560 times
Quote:
Synopsis wrote:
"Extreme Ironing?" I have a lot of ironing that needs to be done in preparation for my job interview on Friday. Feel free to come on down and have at it!
You said it for me..........

Old 04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,519,568 times
Beaver's Bend supposedly has some good rapids for kayaking. If you like kayaking...talk to Dave with OKC Kayak (http://www.okckayak.com/) and he can definitely point you in the right direction. Plus he gives reasonable kayaking lessons with his gear...so all you have to do is show up!

For hiking, I would recommend many of the state parks. If you are taking your dogs with you, you need to make sure that it's not against any rules to hike with your dog. Also, not in OK but there is good hiking in the Ozark Mountains (Arkansas), which is easily less than 4 hours from OKC depending on where you live.

As for running, are you talking about trail or just a nice area to soak up several miles of pavement with good scenery? Are you looking for organized runs or races? Let me know what you are looking for and I can possibly point you in the right direction. Lots of folks run Turkey Mountain in Tulsa for trail running.

As for cycling, are you more a roadie or more of independent cyclist that likes a nice easy to moderate few hours spinning it out?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Extreme Ironing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Driving to Dallas to iron is not nearly extreme enough.

Extreme ironing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Default Extreme running

Quote:
Also, not in OK but there is good hiking in the Ozark Mountains (Arkansas), which is easily less than 4 hours from OKC depending on where you live.
Looks fun, just seems kinda far to drive just to go running by myself. I'll probably go camping there.

Quote:
As for running, are you talking about trail or just a nice area to soak up several miles of pavement with good scenery? Are you looking for organized runs or races? Let me know what you are looking for and I can possibly point you in the right direction. Lots of folks run Turkey Mountain in Tulsa for trail running.
Any spot with a long trail and scenery is what I'm thinking of. Is there any place in Oklahoma with some dynamic terrain(hills, mountains, forests, underground city of mole people, etc)? Also, is there any mountain in Oklahoma that is actually...well, a mountain?

As for cycling, are you more a roadie or more of independent cyclist that likes a nice easy to moderate few hours spinning it out?[/quote]
Mountain biking.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,519,568 times
For trail running check out the OKC Trail Running group: http://oktrailrunning.com/standard.php?id=1 Like I said previously, Turkey Mountain is very popular for trail runs in Tulsa http://www.riverparks.org/Maps/tm_map.htm. Also, Turkey Mountain is popular for mountain biking http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=1861 also check out http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/traillist.asp?id=36 for additional trail Oklahoma suggestions! I'm not a mountain biker...so this is what I know from others.

Mount Scott you have already covered. Um...how about the Ouachita Mountains or the Kiamichi Mountains http://www.travelok.com/atv/ouachita.asp. As for extreme ironing (lol) not my thing...I can't help you there.

Last edited by Amazonchix; 04-11-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma