U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

21 year old college student, conservative values, Southern Baptist, seeking information on best cities to live in; Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 147,392 times

Advertisements

My family has been in Kentucky for generations; however, the education system here is abyssmal, the job market is stagnant, and the cost of living here is considerably high given both of those factors. Taxes are going up, also, even though we have a supposedly "very conservative" Governor in office.

These are the places I'm considering:
1. Texas
a. Fort Worth/Arlington (screw Dallas)
b. Austin/San Marcos
c. San Antonio
d. Houston
e. Lubbock
2. Oklahoma
a. Oklahoma City
b. Tulsa
c. Stillwater
3. Mississippi
a. Oxford
4. Alabama
a. Birmingham
b. Huntsville
c. Tuscaloosa
d. Auburn
5. Tennessee
a. Memphis
b. Nashville
6. Georgia
a. Atlanta (what an incredible city!)

I know that's A LOT of places, but hey, I love the south. People are friendlier down there overall than here in Kentucky. The people I've met from Oklahoma, while I've never been there, have been a bit reserved (much like the rest of the midwest) but tend to immediately open up and be friendly once they see you're a good person.

A lil' background info about me: I am 21, soon to graduate with a Bachelor's degree, and want to pursue a second Bachelor's, as well as a subsequent Master's. I am Southern Baptist and very conservative, except on economic issues, in which case I am more libertarian. I don't support gay marraige or civil rights, but know many gay people who are wonderful, great assets to society, and who I am proud to call "friend." I also have many liberal and libertarian friends, but that doesn't denote any change of political mind on part. I am a country boy, but by location only (and I even have a strong Kentucky accent); I love opera, theatre, and musicals, and I'm not much into the whole "Larry the Cable Guy" thing. (I'm not being stereotypical, I know most people in the south are just everyday working people who know how to have a good time and aren't necessarily "rednecks.") I'm friendly, and frankly am offended when I hold a door open for a woman, or let somebody cut in front of me in traffic, and receive no response. Oh, and ladies, I'm single (lol).

To accompish further educational and eventually job entry goals, I want to move to a place where the cost of living is below the national average, the job market is growing, people are genuinely friendly and down-to-earth, winters aren't so daggone cold, and the cost of earning a degree is very reasonable given great educational value.

Dang, I've rambled. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 12:20 PM

5,003 posts, read 14,628,624 times
Default atlanta

i think you said it when you stated that atlanta is an incredible city.

I lived in Texas and believe that Oklahomans are much more friendly.

You didn't say whether you like the beaches or traffic. Houston would be good for beaches but Texas is more expensive than OK. I didn't care about living in Memphis area either. Not my kind of city. I would much rather be in New Orleans except for the hurricanes. Oxford, MS is a pretty historic town.

Why not take a trip after you graduate?

I don't think that the job market is that great anywhere in OK.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM

13,380 posts, read 9,575,688 times
First of all...........Don't go to Lubbock. Don't even visit Lubbock.

Most of the places you listed are nice places. However I think OKC and Tulsa match up well with any of them in many ways. That is unless you are into the things that larger cities like Atlanta or Houston.

Oxford on the other hand is really small. I don't know if there would be much in the way of work though. Tuscaloosa might have something and it's an ok place.

In Oklahoma you might like Norman which is similar to Tuscaloosa in size and ambiance.

Huntsville Alabama has an excellent reputation and may have the best reputation of any mid sized city in the south.

I have spent a lot of time down there (in the south) and other than the pretty forests I think Oklahoma is better. Oklahoma does not have near the racial tension that most of the south has. I think Oklahoma has less poverty in the metro areas than lots of the southern cities. I base this on the quality of the lower end neighborhoods. Some in the south look like Haiti. You see very little of that in OKC or Tulsa.

Good luck and come see us.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Location: Shepherdsville and Frankfort, Kentucky, soon to be somewhere in TEXAS!
23 posts, read 147,392 times
Default Thanks...and keep 'em coming in.

Thanks to all who have responded so far, and let's keep the suggestions and inputs coming in. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 AM

77 posts, read 504,267 times
StuckinKentuckyCityDataDogHouse- Just kidding with you.

You seem to go back and forth. You know very well that Oklahoma is a conservative state and you have 'many' friends that are "gay". But you dont support gay marriage/civil rights? WOW-Civil rights/that is something you might want to think about before you try to get multiple degrees. If you truly supported "gays" then I would say there is an arguement for the amount of friends you would have that are homosexual. Sorry i had to break down the psychology of the human mind, but your mind is all over the place. But this is off the topic/ although it could cause problems in certain cities you mentioned. So my statements can be considered valid- for your next move.
I would not suggest Atlanta(lol)- I dont think that needs an explanation.
I will be recieving a MFA soon from the University of Oklahoma. So I know a lot about the campus and people. Through extensive travel/marriage to my wife/ and my age(much older than you)- I would focus more on the university you want to attend at this stage in your life. With that said- OU is moderately liberal. This is probably your best bet for my great state of Oklahoma. The cost of living is the lowest in the country in OKC/Norman.

"To accompish further educational and eventually job entry goals, I want to move to a place where the cost of living is below the national average, the job market is growing, people are genuinely friendly and down-to-earth, winters aren't so daggone cold, and the cost of earning a degree is very reasonable given great educational value." - Kentucky

- this does descibe Oklahoma well. I would shack up somewhere close to campus to get in state tuition(one year)-- If you want to save money. Or you could ride a scholarship if you are awarded one. The climate is warm/ people very friendly and on the most part are open to many views. This is OU/Norman. OSU is more conservative and is situated in between both OKC and Tulsa/so you can enjoy entertainment and beauty-best of both worlds. OSU has a countryside that is beautiful and there is no development to destroy the environment. Stillwater is not exciting/OSU campus is Georgian architecture and is very pretty/Norman is mostly Oklahoma Goth(brick goth like structures and is slightly nicer than OSU) and is 15 minutes from OKC. It all depends on your area of study. Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 07:31 AM

32,869 posts, read 19,066,652 times
If your 21 and going to be a full time college student. I would consider what school to go to and not what city its in. Other than the basics of where you DON'T want to live, like NYC or L.A.

You know how student life is. Half grind and half having fun with your friends. Personally I would look at what schools are best. Escpecially if you are going to be in a dorm for the first semester or two.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 26,432 times
1st ...The south is not that much friendlier than the north, people are either nice or they are not, geography does not matter.
2nd...The best way to find a place to live is compare avg salary, with avg home prices and taxes, not just property, but income and sales tax.
3rd...Most importantly, the female to male population...lol

Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM

11 posts, read 86,174 times
I used to be a professor at OU. OU has some great undergraduate and graduate programs, but also some not so good ones. For example, if you are going to pursue engineering, then GA Tech in Atlanta is a better choice than OU. Conversely, if you are interested in meteorology or geology, go to OU. The job market in OKC / Norman is not that great according to my former students. I went to Rice and loved both the school and Houston. There are more things to do there than in OKC, especially if you like art (the symphony, ballet, opera, and museums are world-class). Many of my classmates from Rice work in Houston or Austin, and none seemed to have a problem getting a job after graduation. Also, although more expensive than a state school, Rice is very generous; they give many merit scholarships that cover the cost of tuition. Best of luck making your decision.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:21 AM

94 posts, read 587,664 times
Speaking as someone who has lived in both Oklahoma and Kentucky, I can tell you that similarities abound. I'd say that pretty much the only difference between the two is that Kentucky has taller trees. Seriously. I lived in Murray for a couple of years, and there are a lot of similarities between it and Stillwater, Oklahoma (except, of course, for the fact that Stillwater is a completely wet city, and Murray only partially so). Kentucky's prettier, I guess. But that's about it.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:03 PM

27,089 posts, read 17,827,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner-On-The-Move View Post
Speaking as someone who has lived in both Oklahoma and Kentucky, I can tell you that similarities abound. I'd say that pretty much the only difference between the two is that Kentucky has taller trees. Seriously. I lived in Murray for a couple of years, and there are a lot of similarities between it and Stillwater, Oklahoma (except, of course, for the fact that Stillwater is a completely wet city, and Murray only partially so). Kentucky's prettier, I guess. But that's about it.
Stillwater isn't really totally wet. It's totally dry on Sundays. So it's a totally embarrassing experience when visitors try to order drinks in a Stillwater restaurant on Sunday only to be told it's against the law. Also as a result of the law, the strip is totally dead on Sunday. I hope sooner or later this issue can be solved with people of the county voting on it.

Anyway, it's not a bad time to live in Stillwater since it's a city on the grow. It may become Oklahoma's next metro city after the 2010 census comes out. Stillwater is home to the Oklahoma Technology and Research Park. It is expanding and may have as many as 2000 people employed there by 2015. Construction on OSU's new Athletic Village will soon start. At least a couple of the manufacturing plants are expanding, such as Mercury Marine and National Standard. After all the stagnation of the 1990's, it's a great time to witness progress and expansion in Stillwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma