Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
LML LML started this thread

7,100 posts, read 9,108,800 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about towns near this wildlife refuge? I visited it several times a few years ago and often thought that, when I got ready to retire, I would love to live near it so that I could visit it on a regular basis. Well, retirement isn't far away now and I am wondering if moving to the area really could be possible. Anything anyone could tell me about towns in the area...housing prices....good and bad about the area, etc. would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 PM

37 posts, read 191,266 times
LML, There are several nice towns close to the Wichitas. Cache, which has grown tremendously in the past several years, Medicine Park, which is an old resort community turned artist community and Lawton, which is a large city and home to the Fort Sill military base. The price of homes in that area are like more places these days--high. I would start watching sites like realtor.com and see what's available. There are many more smaller communities like Indiahoma, Meers and Medicine Park that may be more affordable. Personally, I'd stay away from Lawton as they are having a big problem with gang violence. I'm not sure where you are living now, but that part of the state is prone to severe weather in the spring and summer, so a "fraidy" house is a must.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I had just about given up hope that anyone would respond. I now live in Wisconsin so "severe weather" is not unknown to me. However, I don't know what a "fraidy house" is?????? I'm especially glad that you gave me a "heads up" about the cost and safety issues. It will help me narrow my search.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 AM

37 posts, read 191,266 times
Default Fraidy House

Hello, LML

You are very welcome! A "fraidy" house is a southern word for an underground tornado shelter. The newer homes are being built with a steel and concrete reinforced room, either a closet or a room in the garage, that can survive a direct hit from a tornado. They will usually have an inward opening door and a vent to the outside for fresh air.

Here is a link to the Lawton Constitution online:
http://www.lawton-constitution.com/ It's not the full online version, but it may be of some help.

Good luck on your retirement!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the link. It is much appreciated.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:30 PM

54 posts, read 430,211 times
Enjoy Lawton, OK only if you want pawn shops, used car lots, bad roads, high taxes, banks and the imfamous fast food joints. Do not forget the ever challanging weather. You either freeze, cook or are blowin' away with the wind.

Last edited by Deacon; 06-30-2007 at 11:40 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Enjoy Lawton, OK only if you want pawn shops, used car lots, bad roads, high taxes, banks and the imfamous fast food joints. Do not forget the ever challanging weather. You either freeze, cook or are blowin' away with the wind.
Gee why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,544 times
Beware of Cache, Geronimo and some of the small towns. I have lived in Lawton for 40 years and it does have a bad gang problem, probably worse than the big cities because these are just wanna be gang bangers there are no structure in them. Cache has always been rated one of the nations biggest drug problems within a small town.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 10-13-2008 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Racist comments will not be tolerated.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM

471 posts, read 825,295 times
What gangs do you find in Lawton?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:00 PM

10 posts, read 36,420 times
The "gangs" in Lawton are more or less just all mislead kids. As far as I'm concerned there are no REAL gangs but there is a huge problem with thugs(the so-called gangs) and crackheads. Take it from me I live in a decent neighborhood here in Lawton and we've had are cars broken into 3 times in our driveway, the gas sifened (sp???) out of my car a couple times....stuff stolen out of our garage AND our fourwheeler stolen (all within a year). My husband and I hate is here...we're moving to colorado in january. Medicine Park on the other hand I grew up there... amazing place but gets a little touristy in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma