U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 AM

208 posts, read 834,052 times

Advertisements

Are there any mountains in Oklahoma north of Poteau? I have been trying to figure out the geography around West Siloam Springs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 AM

11,884 posts, read 35,585,738 times
Although I've never been there, I looked at West Siloam Springs on Google Maps and viewed the satellite map. It appears that West Siloam Springs is well North of Poteau, in the Northeast corner of the state. The geography is a mixture of rolling hills and pasture land, pretty much like my hometown of Gerty (perhaps a little more hilly in WSS). Below are a couple of pics of the types of hills around Gerty, and I think the hills around West Siloam Springs would look pretty much like this, but probably a little bigger. I hope this helps.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 AM

208 posts, read 834,052 times
Thank you!! I spent a year in OKC and I don't want flat land.We live on the foothill of a mountain in OR and my husband couldn't take flat either.I'm trying to stay out of Arkansas-it looks like they have higher taxes.Nobody ever commented on why it seems property prices jump when you cross the state line.I asked that question some time ago.The realtor websites I visit handle both states so I see ads from both sides.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM

Since property taxes are going to be dictated by city and state entities, it would make sense that property taxes change from place to place.

Property taxes in Oklahoma are generally very low, whereas in Texas where I currently live they are almost out of control. I pay 3600 a year in property taxes on a modest 150K house. The lack of a state tax in texas does offset that somewhat.

Oklahoma does have one of the lowest property burdens (overall taxes, cost of property) in the country.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM

77 posts, read 509,849 times
Oklahoma City is not just flat. ITS SAD CONCERNING THE TEAR DOWN- LETS BEAT UP OKC MENTALITY OF MANY. good luck, cheers

Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 PM

I don't think nocoldiron was trying to put down OkC Shad. He's accustomed to Oregon and the geography there and is speaking in relative terms. Heck, according to nocoldiron, Tulsa might even be considered relatively flat. And as far as putting down OkC, I will say this; Tulsa' downtown isn't dead, but in comparison to OkC, Tulsa's downtown is comparatively DEAD. Hopefully that will be changing in the future with the projects planned for DT Tulsa, but for now OkC's downtown RULES. And this is coming from a fan of Tulsa.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM

13,387 posts, read 18,497,377 times
I`ve been checking out the terrain around Duncan/Lawton. I`m moving there the first week of June from CA.
I live at the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains in SO Cal.
That is about the only thing I`ll miss.
I was told that there was waterfalls, springs and lakes around OKC and Duncan.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 PM

21 posts, read 67,506 times
There are no mountains in Oklahoma period.. It is only Hills. The one Hill that is in Poteau is the closest one to being a mountain. I forgot how much but it was like just about a foot or so being a mountain. It is nice drive though up to the top of it. Everyone should be sure an go there if your close to Poteau. An as for OKC I wouldn't give a penny for the whole entire town. To me it looks dirty an trashy when you come into the town no matter where your coming from.. As for the local police department an county please beware of them also. They will frame you if their given a chance. I know from experience, trust me on that one. Tulsa is a much cleaner town to go to an live in. But if your wanting to be in the hills go further east towards Poteau.. And if you haven't ever driven over the Talimena Drive you will see some beautiful hills..Go during the fall when the leaves are changing colors.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,026,237 times
Whether they have mountains or not depends on where you are lived. It is all relivent (spelling) For us, spending much of our lives in California and now living in NM, I too would say both OK, even NE and AR, have lovely rolling hills and no mountains, however if you have spent most of your lives in much of the south like Miss, Texas, Florida you would call the hills mountains. Nita

Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredofsnakes View Post
There are no mountains in Oklahoma period.. It is only Hills. The one Hill that is in Poteau is the closest one to being a mountain. I forgot how much but it was like just about a foot or so being a mountain. It is nice drive though up to the top of it. Everyone should be sure an go there if your close to Poteau. An as for OKC I wouldn't give a penny for the whole entire town. To me it looks dirty an trashy when you come into the town no matter where your coming from.. As for the local police department an county please beware of them also. They will frame you if their given a chance. I know from experience, trust me on that one. Tulsa is a much cleaner town to go to an live in. But if your wanting to be in the hills go further east towards Poteau.. And if you haven't ever driven over the Talimena Drive you will see some beautiful hills..Go during the fall when the leaves are changing colors.
That's not true. That hill in Poteau is cavanal hill, I believe, and is touted as being the world's tallest hill because it is one foot under being the height required for it to be called a mountain. There are PLENTY of peaks in the Ouachita Mountains on the Oklahoma side that are much taller than cavanal hill; some of them approach 2700/2800 hundred feet. Not your Rocky Mountains, but definitely mountains all the same. Get your facts straight before you say that Cavanal hill is the tallest peak in Oklahoma - it's not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma