Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,172,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The good thing about summer is that you can actually still go out for walks, bike rides, etc. if you pick the right times of day to do it. During the winter, you run from your house to your car and vice versa. Our cold is just intolerable sometimes. You've got a few rough winter days (ice storms), but I can understand why some of you would prefer winter to summer. Not me.
Well, maybe people with warm weather tolerance can exercise in the morning in the Summer here. I can but don't like to. Lows have been in the 70's this whole hot stretch. It's also been up at near 90 by 10am the last several days. It also hasn't dropped to 90 until about sunset time near 9. So in my opinion, at least during this hot stretch there is no good time for outdoor activity. But we all know your stance on this, Jammie Just as your cold is intolerable sometimes, our heat is. I've said many times an Oklahoma Summer is = to a Minnesota Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,800,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Well, maybe people with warm weather tolerance can exercise in the morning in the Summer here. I can but don't like to. Lows have been in the 70's this whole hot stretch. It's also been up at near 90 by 10am the last several days. It also hasn't dropped to 90 until about sunset time near 9. So in my opinion, at least during this hot stretch there is no good time for outdoor activity. But we all know your stance on this, Jammie Just as your cold is intolerable sometimes, our heat is. I've said many times an Oklahoma Summer is = to a Minnesota Winter.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,805,093 times
Jammie, Nameless is right... We are currently running 10 degrees above normal right now so it is really uncomfortable...temps jumped way up very quickly so there really wasn't a chance to get acclimated this year.

They have updated our extended forecast...

Thu
Hi 102 F
Lo 72 F
Sunny & Hot!

Fri
Hi 102 F
Lo 71 F
More Sun; Hot & Humid

Sat
Hi 104 F
Lo 73 F
Mainly Sunny; Hot

Right now (8:00am) it is:

79 °F
Clear
Humidity: 78%
Wind: Calm

With no breeze and that humidity, you can still be drenched in sweat trying to walk to the mailbox.

BUT!!! There is a HUGE upside to all of this!! The fireflies are out by the hundreds. I stood outside last night for awhile and watched them... it was like a twinkling wonderland.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,347,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I follow your weather (Tulsa's anyway) and it really has been toasty down there. Today Tulsa is supposed to be 100 and their average is something like 90. We're warming up here pretty good, too, but we're still about 10 degrees behind ya.

I'll still tolerate your summer just to have your decent winters.

The good thing about summer is that you can actually still go out for walks, bike rides, etc. if you pick the right times of day to do it. During the winter, you run from your house to your car and vice versa. Our cold is just intolerable sometimes. You've got a few rough winter days (ice storms), but I can understand why some of you would prefer winter to summer. Not me.
Can't you put chains on your bike tires?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,761,900 times
Yes, it's hot. Very hot. But there are ways to cool down. I would rather have this weather than what they're having in NJ for the past month or so. Continuous cloudy, rainy and only in the upper 70s and low 80s.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Yes, it's hot. Very hot. But there are ways to cool down. I would rather have this weather than what they're having in NJ for the past month or so. Continuous cloudy, rainy and only in the upper 70s and low 80s.

You newbies... always loving the drenching heat. Give it about five years colleen. Believe me, it DOES get old.

And btw, what the heck is wrong with temps in the 70s and 80s?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM

The heat index is 111 here yet it's not even noon...

Those 70/80 degree temps colleen was talking about sound pretty good to me. Why would anyone worship this kind of heat?

Updated: 1 min 15 sec ago at 11:44 am central time.
96.6 °F
Clear
Humidity: 52% Dew Point: 76 °F Wind: 1.0 mph Variable Wind Gust: 2.0 mph Pressure: 29.46 in (Rising) Heat Index: 111 °F

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=76053

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,761,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You newbies... always loving the drenching heat. Give it about five years colleen. Believe me, it DOES get old.

And btw, what the heck is wrong with temps in the 70s and 80s?
What's wrong with 70s and 80s???? IT'S SUMMER, MAN!! The only time to really enjoy the sun, swimming, etc.

This is not my first experience with hot weather. I've lived in Phoenix and that was hot!! I lived in a mobile home in the desert in Nevada. That was hot!! I really don't care for real hot or real cold, but in the summertime I really prefer sunshine (even if it's hot) to cool, damp, cloudy, drizzly weather. I probably have SAD.

I checked the website you posted, and it looks like your area has a higher humidity than we do here. Your heat index says 115, while ours is "only" 106. Come on up, Syn, we're MUCH cooler!!! LOL

Old 06-25-2009, 03:01 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,172,569 times
At the moment it's 99 with a 100 heat index at Wiley Post right now, so at least the humidity has come down. The hot air is sucking all the moisture out now. Looks like we are supposed to cool down to the low 90's come Sunday. 3 more years here is all I can say

Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,164,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Jammie, Nameless is right... We are currently running 10 degrees above normal right now so it is really uncomfortable...temps jumped way up very quickly so there really wasn't a chance to get acclimated this year.

BUT!!! There is a HUGE upside to all of this!! The fireflies are out by the hundreds. I stood outside last night for awhile and watched them... it was like a twinkling wonderland.
This is very true, but then in socal thats the norm. You have warm then hot then warm and then somewhere near the end of May and into June slam its 100 plus. By August 102 is cool. I am doing what I did there, staying inside, using the ac and fans to keep the air moving and waiting until later to go out. I notice all of my neighbors are too.

Never saw fireflies before and its really neat. Of course the flying vampiers are also THICK at that time. Hmmm, a mosquito neeting burka for evening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma