Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Regardless if we agree or disagree that certain people have the knowledge to make an informed decision, the people have the right to have their voice heard GP, much the same as people who vote.

Who is the "decider" (to use Dubya speak), that determines who has or doesn't have the knowledge of which you speak?

My only argument here is that people have the right to speak their mind, whether one agrees if they are enlightened or not.
Of course people have the right to speak their mind. But my point is that IF you do not agree with something and are protesting against it, come up with an alternative solution.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Not to intrude here but came across your post - thought you may be interested, in case you have not heard - the House is scheduled to vote on Cap & Trade this Friday. News just out a couple days ago.
You may want to get out calls etc to your Congress reps.
We are holding last minute rallies at some of the offices of our reps.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:07 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Lets cut the military budget. That will save trillions. Or are you going to cut education, or health care, or food stamps? If you are going to propose a plan, then tell us where you would cut and where you would spend.
Well, for one thing, tons of money is being thrown away with Medicaid and Medicare. There's a huge amount of fraud and waste there. So why wouldn't we think there's fraud and waste in other government programs and agencies?

For another, I don't remember anyone here saying to cut any of the things you mention, GP (although you haven't heard my whole rant-I'll spare you). I THINK we are saying to stop INCREASING spending. If the economy is tanking with the buttloads of money we are spending now, why think that more spending will fix everything?

And, I'll say it again, THIS IS BOTH PARTIES' PROBLEM.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM

330 posts, read 970,477 times
Speaking from a technological point of view, increase efficiency in the tax dollars that are spent. There's waste in every aspect of government (local, state, federal). Find efficiency and the most effective ways to spend tax dollars, rather than just increasing budgets each year. This isn't a left or right issue, it's a right and wrong issue. In closing, can we get some term limits for CONgress? In my mind, all politicians suck regardless of party affiliation. They should all be voted out immediately (local, state, federal). Let's start fresh, no re-treds.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
See the following website:

BlowOutCongress.com.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDawn View Post
Well, for one thing, tons of money is being thrown away with Medicaid and Medicare. There's a huge amount of fraud and waste there. So why wouldn't we think there's fraud and waste in other government programs and agencies?

For another, I don't remember anyone here saying to cut any of the things you mention, GP (although you haven't heard my whole rant-I'll spare you). I THINK we are saying to stop INCREASING spending. If the economy is tanking with the buttloads of money we are spending now, why think that more spending will fix everything?

And, I'll say it again, THIS IS BOTH PARTIES' PROBLEM.
I agree. Medicaid and Medicare should be abolished. Let those old and unhealthy runts see how they can deal with their problems by themselves. We just can't afford to pour any more money into the bottomless pit.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
You need to quit trolling on this thread visvaldis. This is a warning.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gerhart View Post
There is a Tea Party being organized for the Fourth of July, State Capitol steps, we have the permit but are just now organizing the event. The idea is to show the politicians and the media that people are not happy with the deficit spending and the bailouts. This is non partisan, most of us believe that BOTH parties got us to where we are today. If anyone is interested in volunteering or attending, please contact me.

al "at" thecarpentershop.net (remove the "at" and replace with @, darned spam bots)

We have a website set up with some info:

Sooner Tea Party

We have a list of items needed and volunteer jobs that need to be filled for the event. Please spread the word if you can, send friends and family emails, post on forums, contact the media, or just chat it up at work.

Thanks,

Al

If people are so fed up why does Obama have a 63% approval rating and the Democratic Congress which is primarily voting for these bailout programs have a higher approval rating than the GOP which is voting against the spending?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM

"most economists have long recoginzed that what FDR did was responsible for the longevity of the Great Depression."

This is a complete utter falsehood. Give us your evidence that "most economists" recognize FDR as prolonging the Depression????

Or withdraw your statement.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Can you explain why a cuts in spending will put us into a full depression GP?
It's textbook Keynesian economics.....in steep downturns...government spending is the best way to spur demand.

This is not controversial. It's taught in every economics class all across the Nation.

It's better than tax cuts because the Gvt spends all of their money whereas some portion of tax cuts are saved in hard times.

The question is ......why don't you know the arguments for the stimulus???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma