U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

199 posts, read 465,029 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, will be going to Panhandle State University in Goodwell, OK in August of this year and being from out of state not familiar with the panhandle. Any advice or info. on the panhandle? I did visit it so I know it's not exactly a boom town just wondering any past experiences in this area, things to do, people, etc. Thanks.

JD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 02:13 PM

Actually any views or info on Oklahoma Panhandle State University would be helpful too.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 PM

29,174 posts, read 18,849,035 times
I just mainly think of the panhandle as a very remote and isolated portion of Oklahoma. I've driven through it several times and was grateful that my home town was more scenic. As free of distractions as the panhandle is, it should be easy to concentrate on college studies.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 54,953 times
First of all, congratulations! I live in Dumas, Tx...about 60 miles south of Goodwell. Yes, it is remote but Guymon is pretty close and Liberal is about another hour away. My middle child went to PSU in 1998 but only stayed one semester. Are you into sports? Or agriculture/horses, etc? Where is your home right now? If you are involved with school activities I think you will like it there. And....Amarillo is about 2 hours away.....they have dance clubs, concerts,.....everything you might need for a fun weekend!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM

dewlover:

I plan to major in Animal Science-Livestock Production, Grandpa had a farm and spent most of my time there, plan on going on to be a large animal vet. Heard they had a really good Ag/Animal Sci. program and thought I'd check it out and was definatley impressed with their Ag. faculty and new facilities. Went down there in August when it was 105, but who isn't into heat stoke? I'm in the FFA now and plan to join their collegiate FFA, hoping to get on the livestock judging team too, bronc rode for a few years so might do their Rodeo Team, heard they were best in the nation a few times. I'm from a small town in Illinois, so I'm used to rural life but it's still a thousand miles away. Looks like all my fun is going to be in Amarillo? Might have to jump over to the Texas board and check it out lol. Well, hope I answered your questions, any more comments or whatever keep em comin. Thanks. JD

Old 04-18-2007, 06:14 PM

14,214 posts, read 10,251,083 times
PSU is the smallest school in the state thus you should get a lot of personal attention there. I'm sure the Ag programs are good because they have hung their hat on that for a long time.

The campus is tiny but has many shade trees which is nice in the panhandle.

The hot summers are pretty dry and so they are more tolerable than it is for us "downstaters". However, winters are much harsher up there and it is a LOT windier out there.

Guymon has a couple of hang outs where the students go (all there is in Goodwell is a quickstop or two). During the time I lived in Guymon I was quite surprised at the fact that the students there were fairly cosmopolitian as I was expecting to see mostly cowboys and "goatroper" types. Althought there were many like that it wasn't as prevelant as I thought. I was impressed with the quality of the female students (I assume you are male) as far as looks and class.

As has been mentioned, Liberal KS has some things that Guymon doesn't have and Amarillo has most of the rest you might need for entertainment.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:03 PM

Nice to hear the ladies are good lookin' , yeah seems to me all the fun is down in Amarillo. I heard a lot of good things about Guymon, do you remember much about the campus life, was there a lot to do?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 34,577 times
3/23/10 My father, Milton "Uncle Milt" England, was the Head of the Animal Science Dept. at OPSU in Goodwell for 40 years. I grew up in Goodwell and attended the college there my first two years. Jay Lark, OPSU Professor, was one of my Dad's students. The college has many active clubs for students. For example, Museum Club, Rodeo Club, golf team, as well as the regular sports teams. You can get lots of personal attention from the professors...just ask for help. Bring your horse & saddle. Western wear is normal in this area. I hope you will like college there. I always thought it was a wonderful place to be. Also, I love the open space! Yes, the folks are "good lookin".

I just noticed your post was from April 2007. I hope you did go to OPSU for your education. How did you like it? I assume that you have graduated or will soon graduate. What are your plans post graduation?

Best wishes to you, JD!

Last edited by gayleengland; 03-23-2010 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: noticed 2007 date on original post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>