Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 11:34 AM

46 posts, read 141,756 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm planning on moving down to Oklahoma shortly, and am looking for some info on building/zoning regulations, etc. I'm from the overly-regulated (and grossly expensive) Northeast. I grew up living a fairly rural lifestyle, and I'm looking for someplace where folks still retain a large amount of their personal freedoms. From all I've gathered, Oklahoma sounds to be the place.

I'm a tradesman, and I'm looking to buy a small acreage to build a country home upon, with all the work done myself. I've been told that there is very little oversight in all but the metro areas. Does anyone have an idea on what, if any, permits would be required to do such a thing?

Also, I was thinking that I might have a mind to buy property to renovate. Not like those shows you see, where folks are looking to make a killing overnight, but where I could do the work myself and make a reasonable profit. Is that sort of thing feasible in a non-metro area down there? Maybe a lake area? I'm an avid bass'er, and have been thinking somewhere around Eufaula, or maybe Texoma.

Oh, and I'm a bit of a gearhead, too - is it true that there are no annual vehicle inspections there?

Thanks!

Last edited by Grogan14; 04-10-2007 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
Grogan,
I've lived in Texas for quite awhile but am from the Sooner state. There are annual vehicle inspections in Oklahoma, at least I'm pretty sure there are. But, there are no emission inspections like they have in Texas. Inspections would revolve around vehicle safety like not having bald tires, windshield wipers work, headlights, etc..

As far as regulations go, I'm also pretty sure the regs in Oklahoma are very lax compared to the Northeast. I wish I could give you some real details, but someone will probably come along and provide something. As far as a lake area, Eufala would be my choice. Eastern Oklahoma is pretty scenic.

PS. This pretty much dates me, but seeing Grogan and Massachussets in the same context brings up memories of Steve Grogan, who once qb'd the New England Patriots (he was a record setter too, for 16 years)! Hey, and his number was #14 too!

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Steve-Grogan---Prepare-to-pass-Photofile-Photograph-C10108405.jpeg (broken link)

Last edited by Synopsis; 04-10-2007 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 12:03 PM

28 posts, read 76,408 times
Hi, there are no vehicle inspections in LeFlore County in SE OK. There are also no building codes where we live out in the country in the northern part of that county except on septic tanks. This is good and bad. There is a lot of junky places around, but really nice ones next door. If you buy an existing home, inspect it carefully. We own a remodeling co. and thought we had looked at everything, but after 2 years, have found all sorts of things that are costing us a lot of money. Wish we had bought acreage and built our own. May later. There are also a number of places to buy to fix up.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Hey Synopsis, what a coincidence, lol!

Steve Grogan is still considered one of the greatest scrambling quarterbacks of all time. I believe he held, for a long time, the season record for rushing td's by a qb. I can't think of a player with more guts.

Thanks for your input!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi, mustangsally - thanks for your help!

I'm an electrical contractor, and, not knowing how much call there would be for one in a fairly rural area, thought that maybe I would supplement my income by maybe re-habing homes. I hear you on the lack of building codes, but would gladly take what comes with that over what we have here any day!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM

208 posts, read 872,042 times
Default yeah!!

I am so happy to see this thread-we have been discussing the idea of building our own house.Where I live in Oregon,the permits alone are crippling in price.A driveway permit is 250.00!!! They want a permit for everything and the inspectors are often overworked,unable to respond in a timely manner,and we have a couple who are just power crazy.I have seen shoddy worked passed and excellant work failed That driveway permit was for a gravel driveway with no culvert-this house was built in 1947 and the guy was acting like it never had a driveway in the last 60 years.Another county official told him to back off,he had been parked in that driveway himself a number of times

Old 04-12-2007, 12:47 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
I am building in Cherokee county (SE of Tulsa). A building permit is required to build but it is just a floodplain clearance that cost $5. Septic permits are issued through the state - not county - after a perc test has been done. No inspection is required on the septic work if you use a certified installer who is authorized to do his own inspection/approval. No building inspections. I am building to IRC regardless.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:19 PM

Could you give me an idea of what the typical cost for a septic system might be? Mine recently cost me over $25,000 to replace where I'm at now! I've heard under $2000, out there.

Also, any idea how much is typical to drill a well?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,475 times
Hi, We bought a lot on Tenkiller and was just told that because of the size of our lot being slightly under 1/2 acre that we have to have a aerobic septic system opposed to the standard septic which will run around $2500. more. We were told that a DEQ certified person will have to draw up a plan and send to the State of Oklahoma, which will then have to be approved. In order to have a water meter or electric we have to show this DEQ certification. I am online now trying to find the state septic laws. Any help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma