Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 PM

56 posts, read 179,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I dislike tailgaters myself, it's a constant rage in Ca, but not once has it happened to me in Ok.

Wyllow61, if tailgating is such a problem, as you claim, here's a suggestion: when someone climbs up behind you, turn on your parking lights, They'll think you hit the brakes and back off

Love it!!!
I'm from OK, and though I don't think the "tailgating" problem is ANYTHING close to what happens in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area I am tickleld with this idea. The next time it does happen to me, i'm going to try this one.
Thanks for making me smile!!! I was getting pretty unhappy with the OK-bashing going on and this one just made me giggle....

Old 07-03-2009, 01:42 PM

56 posts, read 179,394 times
Default a response to the OK-bashing...

I am going to take offense against the statement that "Oklahomans" are dirty.
I am an "Oklahoman" and i am not dirty. My children are "Oklahomans" and they are not dirty either (well....we're still working on the whole 'pick up your clothes before you leave the bathroom thing, but I'm confident we'll get that hurdle taken care of before long... ha!!) I have 20-25 friends who are frequently in my home and i am frequently in their homes and other than an occaiaional spotty bathroom mirror or a few dishes in the sink, they are not dirty either. I have a friend who has been been bed-ridden with a nervous systeem disorderr for 18 months now and her 6 & 9 yr old take care of everything around they house. If I had a friend who's house is 'dirty' it might be this friend, but in the defense of those wonderful children, they do much more than any other 6 & 9 yr olds (in probably ANY state) to take care of the house under their mother's instruction from the recliner or bed. Our group of friends go over there as we can spare an hour to clean a toilet or wash a sink of dishes or change bedsheets...things that are hard for those young children. Togehter, we keep that house clean....
so in other words, we "Oklahomans" are not only cleaning our own homes, we're cleaning for our bed-ridden friend. Nope...you're not right. Oklahomans are NOT dirty.

Of course, there are things about my state that I wish were different, but you ahve to look at the WHOLE picture. All in all, things are pretty good here. The people who drive 80 on the freeways are irritating...just like they are in "this" state and "that" state and "the next" state (names omitted to protect myself... ha) People break the law everywhere. If taht weren't the case, there would not be police departments and/or correctional facilities in every city, county and state.

For every case of animal cruelty in OK...there are hundreds of responsible pet owners who love their pets dearly....many of us even treat our pets as people.... IF that weren't the case, there wouldn't be vet offices in every town...in my community in every mile section...but i just live in one of those types of communities.

People throw trash where they shouldn't town and state...but if there weren't at least a "few" people putting their trash in the receptacles, there would be hundreds of city workers without a job because there wouldn't be trash to pick up...and that simply isn't the case. Every town has city workers whose job it is to take care of refuse.

As far as "rude" poeple....take a look at your post. You live in OK and you've been quite rude... I'll leave you to make the next summation.... hmmmm....
Yes, there are rude people in OK...just as there are rude people EVERYWHERE....but I cant get away from the fact that as soon as you leave our state.......

One last question...I assume you teach at the college level becuase if you were in a public school with these attitudes you would have been terminated a LONG time ago. (if not by administration, then by parents complaining to their local school board...we take our children and their eduations very seriously...) I have a daughter who will graduate next year and a son the follwoing year. Would you mind tellling us what college you are at so we can take that in to account as they make their final decisions....
thanks!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:34 PM

20 posts, read 141,085 times
HOW OKLAHOMA WAS REALLY MADE

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for 6 days.
Eventually, Michael, the archangel found him resting on the 7th day. He
inquired of God, "Where have you been?" God sighed a deep sigh of
satisfaction and proudly pointed downward through the clouds.

"I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a
great place of balance."

"Balance?" , inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example,
Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while Southern Europe is going to be poor, the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there, I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people".

God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be
extremely hot and arid, while this one will be very cold and covered with ice".

The archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a beautiful land
in the center of a large mass. "What is that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That is Oklahoma, the most glorious place on earth.
There's beautiful lakes, rivers and streams and prairie. The people from
Oklahoma are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous, and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable,
hard-working and high-achieving and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace.

I'm also going to give them a super-human football team which will be
admired and feared by all who come across them."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then proclaimed, "What
about balance, God? You said there will be balance."

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loud-mouth morons I'm
putting next to them. I will call it Texas."

*Found on Oklahoma Dark Skyes*

Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
HOW OKLAHOMA WAS REALLY MADE

Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for 6 days.
Eventually, Michael, the archangel found him resting on the 7th day. He
inquired of God, "Where have you been?" God sighed a deep sigh of
satisfaction and proudly pointed downward through the clouds.

"I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a
great place of balance."

"Balance?" , inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example,
Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while Southern Europe is going to be poor, the Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there, I've placed a continent of white people and over there is a continent of black people".

God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be
extremely hot and arid, while this one will be very cold and covered with ice".

The archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a beautiful land
in the center of a large mass. "What is that one?"

"Ah" said God. "That is Oklahoma, the most glorious place on earth.
There's beautiful lakes, rivers and streams and prairie. The people from
Oklahoma are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous, and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will be extremely sociable,
hard-working and high-achieving and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace.

I'm also going to give them a super-human football team which will be
admired and feared by all who come across them."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then proclaimed, "What
about balance, God? You said there will be balance."

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loud-mouth morons I'm
putting next to them. I will call it Texas."

*Found on Oklahoma Dark Skyes*

That is fantastic!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Synopsis, I just read it, too and thought it was so cool. I'm glad you weren't offended by the last part. You must be an Okie at heart even if that's not your current location.

RG, I liked your post. I really liked your description of how you treat our furry friends. That's the way they DESERVE to be treated.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM

I love Texas but will always be an Okie at heart Jammie.

Last edited by Synopsis; 07-04-2009 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 07:12 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Wyllow, I don't know if you're still keeping up with this thread but after reading your post, I wonder if we're even talking about the same state?

IMO Okla City drivers drive fast, but courteously. I always thought of the city's highways as kind of a wild-west rodeo [on wheels], which I'll take anyday over east coast or west coast driving.

As far as the people of Oklahoma, they are the nicest and friendliest bunch I've met anywhere across this country. It sounds like maybe you just don't "connect" with Okies. Oh well.

Now I'll admit there is a fair amount of trash around Okla City. Not everywhere, but there's more than there should be. Overall though, it didn't really affect how I liked OKC.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
I will agree with the OP about the littering. I have never witnessed such blatant disregard for the environment as I have in OK.

There is plenty of stuff in OK that is backwards for sure. I just try not to focus on the negative, because I see alot of positives here. Places change, I think OK is headed in the right direction for the most part.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:14 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
HAPPY 4th everyone

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/mkfarnam/765492054_3dflag1.gif (broken link)

Old 07-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
HAPPY 4th everyone

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma